Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The Qashqai is a great car, out of the 2, I'd definitely be more tempted by that.

All down to personal preference though. 

I'd definitely recommend driving them both, if possible, then see what you like the feel of.

Maybe consider a Renault Kadjar and the Kia Sportage too.

If you shop around wisely, you should be able to get something with all the toys, like reversing camera's and stuff.

By all means, feel free to PM me or ask on here for any buying tips.

Good luck 👍

Cheers for that. 

Managed to sit in both today but not drive, I was impressed with how the Qashqai looked and it felt more comfortable. But it was a very basic version whereas the Mazda had more of the mod-cons. I will take a look around and see what I can find. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Cheers for that. 

Managed to sit in both today but not drive, I was impressed with how the Qashqai looked and it felt more comfortable. But it was a very basic version whereas the Mazda had more of the mod-cons. I will take a look around and see what I can find. 

Shop around mate, there's some value to be had with the better spec Qashqai. Something will come up.

Personally, I think the Qashqai and the Kadjar are very nice looking cars. More pleasing on the eye than a Sportage 

57 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Cheers for that. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105102430677?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=Reverse camera&year-from=2015&price-to=9500&postcode=LE2 5ue&model=QASHQAI&page=1&radius=40&make=NISSAN&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance

Looks like an absolute banger there mate. Top spec.

Tell me to shut up if you like, I just like looking for cars lol

Shows there's deals to be had :thumbup:

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've been looking at family SUVs today for a modest budget of less than £9.5k. looked at a 2015 Nissan Qashqai at £7k and a slightly older but higher spec 2013 Mazda CX5 at £9,400. Both have similar mileage around 55/60k mark.

I know very little about cars so can anyone tell me which, if any, would be the better choice? 

Not looking for anything too extravagant, just more space than our very old vauxhall Corsa. Just had a second child and there is no way we'd fit anything else in for our centre parcs trip next month. 

If you do go for a Qashqai, if your budget allows try and get the 2017 onwards facelift one - interior much nicer.

(I've spent a lot of time sat in Qashqai's - work for Nissan)

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105102430677?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=Reverse camera&year-from=2015&price-to=9500&postcode=LE2 5ue&model=QASHQAI&page=1&radius=40&make=NISSAN&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance

Looks like an absolute banger there mate. Top spec.

Tell me to shut up if you like, I just like looking for cars lol

Shows there's deals to be had :thumbup:

It's a bit underpowered. Have a look for one with more poke.

13 hours ago, hebangsthedrums said:

If you do go for a Qashqai, if your budget allows try and get the 2017 onwards facelift one - interior much nicer.

(I've spent a lot of time sat in Qashqai's - work for Nissan)

True, but offset that against the cost of road tax. 

If its registered before 1st April 2017, you'll pay 30 quid a year on one of those, anything registered after that date will cost you £145 a year.

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Pretty much the standard engine and they're not as sluggish as you might think, especially for a car of that size.

0-60 is 11.9 sec

Only 108bhp not enough power for that type of car. But each to their own. 

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

True, but offset that against the cost of road tax. 

If its registered before 1st April 2017, you'll pay 30 quid a year on one of those, anything registered after that date will cost you £145 a year.

fair point - company car so dont know the cost implications as a buyer as well. 

I'd pay an extra tenner a month for the newer version though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Otis said:

0-60 is 11.9 sec

Only 108bhp not enough power for that type of car. But each to their own. 

I get what you're saying, but it really doesn't feel like that when you're driving one. Pulling off isn't actually that slow, although accelerating up to 60 might be.

It does what it's designed to do though. It's a sensible, value for money, family car, with all the toys.

If you want something quick, you're not going to be looking at a standard SUV. 

There's other options out there, but you'll pay a lot more for them.

55 minutes ago, hebangsthedrums said:

fair point - company car so dont know the cost implications as a buyer as well. 

I'd pay an extra tenner a month for the newer version though

Absolutely mate. Depends on personal choice again, but budgeting for things like that is a big factor for some people.

I've sold some hideous cars to people and you think to yourself 'why would you want that'?

Different strokes for different folks.

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I get what you're saying, but it really doesn't feel like that when you're driving one. Pulling off isn't actually that slow, although accelerating up to 60 might be.

It does what it's designed to do though. It's a sensible, value for money, family car, with all the toys.

If you want something quick, you're not going to be looking at a standard SUV. 

There's other options out there, but you'll pay a lot more for them.

An engine like that is often fine with just yourself in the car, but stick the whole family, fill the boot to the brim with food and holiday stuff, and it will certainly feel underpowered. In my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

An engine like that is often fine with just yourself in the car, but stick the whole family, fill the boot to the brim with food and holiday stuff, and it will certainly feel underpowered. In my opinion.

Yeah, again, get what you're saying. But it serves the purpose it's designed for.

Golf GTI it ain't, but it's not meant to be.

I drive a 2 litre Merceds Sprinter all day at the minute, fully loaded, you'd think it had the engine of a Smart car! But it does what it's meant to do.

I don't really know much about technical details, but engine sizes and BHP can be misleading, especially with how diesel turbos work and are configurated. 

The best cars I've driven are fun to drive, usually, that means fast. But there's been a few exceptions to that.

I wouldn't say a Qashqai, Sportage, Kadjar or similar are fun to drive, but they haven't been bad.

Much better than something like an Octavia, which in my opinion is noticeably sluggish, even with a 1.8 diesel.

3 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

Anyone had any experience with a Honda before? Quite like the look of the Civic but I’ve never had a Honda before. Neither has anyone I know. 

probably one for @tom27111

My wife drives a previous generation Civic. We bought it 3 years ago when it was 3 years old and it's not missed a beat so far.

Honda always score pretty well in owner satisfaction surveys like JD Power, and I've known a few people that have kept them for years and years as they just seem to last for ages

26 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

Anyone had any experience with a Honda before? Quite like the look of the Civic but I’ve never had a Honda before. Neither has anyone I know. 

Sorry mate, not something we saw a lot of at my old place, I genuinely don't think I've ever driven one, which is rare, as I've been in almost everything from a Toyota Aygo to a Ford Mustang!

35 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

My dad has a civic and loves it, not had any issues with it but it is only 2 years old.

2 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

As always, happy to help with buying advice if you need any. And know a couple of guys at different dealerships in Peterborough who would sort a decent deal if I put a word in.

I've now got a THIRD interview at a BMW main dealer next week. 

Really hope to get it :fc:

Money is insane and targets are much lower than my old place. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

As always, happy to help with buying advice if you need any. And know a couple of guys at different dealerships in Peterborough who would sort a decent deal if I put a word in.

Cheers for the advice guys, can you tell us the dealerships in Peterborough so I can have a look? May even be tempted for something else. But that would be appreciated.

good luck in the interview!

12 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

I've had a Civic since 2006.  We bought one of the first 'new shape' Civics at that time and I'd had no previous experience with Honda.

We had a couple of early issues, the fuel cap lock jammed and the unit had to be replaced (under warranty), there was a recall for a handbrake issue though I'd personally not had any problems and we did get a leak through the rear screen which had to be re-sealed.

The car has been brilliant from a reliability perspective.  I did have to replace the battery once (don't leave wiper and light settings on auto for an extended period) but other than that no problems.  I have kept it regularly serviced and looked after it as best I can and in two of the past three years it's gone through it's MOT without any findings.  I will be driving it until something major fails which costs more that the value of the car to replace.

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Three bastard interviews?! 

Point them in my direction mate, they need to work on their candidate experience. 

Hope you get it :fc:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

Cheers for the advice guys, can you tell us the dealerships in Peterborough so I can have a look? May even be tempted for something else. But that would be appreciated.

good luck in the interview!

SW Car Supermarket and Carworld. Have a look and see if anything catches your eye 

If my boss goes through with his suggestion that he'll get me a car next year I'm going to try and get an Octavia plug in hybrid estate.

What else is there? I don't exactly feel spoiled for choice. Driving a brand new car would feel insane, I'm certainly not complaining

Anyone own / regularly drive a Q7, XC90, Velar ? I have half a concience on the planet and looking for something hybrid, doesnt seem to work with anything above a saloon type car, but 100% want something bigger. 

Thanks