Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

18 hours ago, SystonFox said:

I’m gonna ring those lot up and ask for a test drive every hour of the working day for the next week. Pricks

Don't waste all that time.

@Steve_Walsh5 - I'd be firing off an email to management saying you were a return customer and you had the money ready to buy as long as it drove fine. Then tell them you've found one elsewhere with better sales service. Make sure you mention the salesperson name too. They won't want employees actively putting people off buying their cars. 

As for getting that person in trouble, screw them. They shouldn't be in the job if they don't like letting people take test drives. I mean, even private sellers let people drive the car first. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Bear said:

@Steve_Walsh5 - I'd be firing off an email to management saying you were a return customer and you had the money ready to buy as long as it drove fine. Then tell them you've found one elsewhere with better sales service. Make sure you mention the salesperson name too. They won't want employees actively putting people off buying their cars. 

As for getting that person in trouble, screw them. They shouldn't be in the job if they don't like letting people take test drives. I mean, even private sellers let people drive the car first. 

Sound advice.

If it's the manager making those rules up, they won't last long. If it's the sales exec, they'll be kicking themselves.

I worked with a Polish guy who's first question would be "You buy today?"

Customer is immediately on the back foot and says no, the salesman didn't want to know them.

The amount of deals I picked up from him acting like that was unbelievable. I'd have them driving away the same day in a new motor by actually listening and taking care of the customers. 

That dealer has lost out on, at a guess, anywhere between 2k and 5k, that's before they put on an admin fee and offer you the extras.

It's just not sustainable to run a business like that.

People who behave in that way are why car salesman have a bad reputation and people don't like dealing with them.

• Like 1

Following on from that, the only way I'd ever do a deal in principal is if the car is off site.

A lot of dealers have multiple branches and can get any car to their location, but if you're miles away on figures, there's no point in moving the vehicle.

For example, if I found a Golf R in Norwich and you wanted to collect from Northampton, or deal with me personally, we'd have a chat on the phone or in person, agree figures, subject to you liking the car and it being as described. Take a £100 deposit, which removes the car from sale.

Two days later, the car arrives, you come in, have a look round it, take it for a spin. If all is well, we shake hands, deal done.

If you don't like the car, or it has scratches, something wrong with it, we refund your £100 and at least we tried.

But if the car is there..."there you go, I've put some fuel in, the trade plates are in, you're good to go. Enjoy."

That builds the desire too. If a customer gets in, drives it, smells it, they want it. Makes negotiation easier for the salesman.

Edited by tom27111

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

The lady I was dealing with was the owner of the garage.

When I bought from her 4 years ago she let me take the car out for a few miles drive down the road. This time she said someone needed to go with me which I was fine with. Handed my drivers license over as one of the staff asked me to do then the owner was still insistent on agreeing to buy it before taking it for a drive. 

I noticed today she’s dropped the price of the car by £10 lol 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

The lady I was dealing with was the owner of the garage.

When I bought from her 4 years ago she let me take the car out for a few miles drive down the road. This time she said someone needed to go with me which I was fine with. Handed my drivers license over as one of the staff asked me to do then the owner was still insistent on agreeing to buy it before taking it for a drive. 

I noticed today she’s dropped the price of the car by £10 lol 

It just doesn't make sense, Covid means dealers are now happy to have a customer do solo test drives to protect people.

I just can't work out what's going on in their minds. 

Yes, it's a high performance car, but she remembered you and a Golf GTD is hardly a banger is it? 

It's not like handing over the keys to a 17 year old kid and letting them loose (which they do try, by the way) lol

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

It just doesn't make sense, Covid means dealers are now happy to have a customer do solo test drives to protect people.

Yes, it's a high performance car, but she remembered you and a Golf GTD is hardly a banger is it? 

It's not like handing over the keys to a 17 year old kid and letting them loose (which they do try, by the way) lol

It was such a strange experience, I walked away laughing at what she was saying. I might ring up tomorrow and offer them £20k for it see what they say lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

When similar happened to me with a car dealership I wrote my one and only trust pilot review. Safe to say the salesman wasn't in his bosses good book. I even ended up having the manager take me for a test drive and offering me a really great deal on the car. He was so helpful in the end I took the review down incase it reflected badly on him.

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

This surprised me when I bought my motor this time last year tbh. The salesman just handed me the keys to a £20k car and said "take it for a spin for half an hour and see what you think"

Fair play and I bought it. We went through the usual dance of him keeping me waiting while he 'checked with his boss' if they could do the deal, but I ended up happy.

BTW, All this 'checking with the boss to see if I can get you a deal' malarkey is a bit old fashioned and unnecessary IMO. I think it undermines the salesperson and makes them look like they've got no authority. Why not just give them all the information on sales/margin they need, provide some rules of engagement to follow, and then empower them to make a decision? 

On 10/08/2021 at 20:18, tom27111 said:

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-car/2707404/volkswagen-golf-2.0-tsi-r-5dr-petrol-hatchback/

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-car/2721410/volkswagen-golf-2.0-tsi-r-5dr-petrol-hatchback/

This is the company I'll be working for.

Both slightly older, only by a year. 

1 similar milage, 1 lower. 

Both cheaper.

There's value to be had.

Beautiful cars. Stick it in sport mode and the noise it makes its fantastic. 

My realistically priced ideal car. The Mrs is having none of it though lol

I won't be able to deal until I've completed my training, so start of September, but ask away if I can help out :thumbup:

That's poor form from a dealer though. Especially if you're a returning customer. 

Tom I've got a 2015 scirocco r and I'll be trading in for a golf r at some point, I'll keep my eyes on this thread for when you're ready 

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This surprised me when I bought my motor this time last year tbh. The salesman just handed me the keys to a £20k car and said "take it for a spin for half an hour and see what you think"

Fair play and I bought it. We went through the usual dance of him keeping me waiting while he 'checked with his boss' if they could do the deal, but I ended up happy.

BTW, All this 'checking with the boss to see if I can get you a deal' malarkey is a bit old fashioned and unnecessary IMO. I think it undermines the salesperson and makes them look like they've got no authority. Why not just give them all the information on sales/margin they need, provide some rules of engagement to follow, and then empower them to make a decision? 

Past experience when buying a car is if you aren’t sure whether to buy it or not taking it for a test drive can change your mind into definitely wanting to get it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Past experience when buying a car is if you aren’t sure whether to buy it or not taking it for a test drive can change your mind into definitely wanting to get it.

Absolutely right. As soon as he handed me the keys and I put my foot down I was sold :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Because ultimately, the sales person is under pressure to make their unit sales quota. 

Whilst it works out better for the salesman to keep the price as high as possible to maximise commission, if you don't shift the units, you won't have a job.

The sales managers/controllers are also massively experienced and know how to stack the deal to maximise profit for the dealership and also benefit the customer.

As the bosses don't sell directly, their commission and bonuses are structured around profitability.

A good salesman will stay strong. The customer wants 2k off, not going to happen. Tell the customer that. Say "come on, give me something to work with."

If the salesman is back and forth to the desk every 2 minutes, he's useless. 

There's some leeway as the sales exec builds the rapport and knows his customer. If the customer asks for 6k for his p/x but the sales manager is only authorising 4k, you say "Look, 6k isn't going to happen, we just can't do it, that's retail price...right, if I can push my boss to 5k and we drop the admin fee, would we have a deal today? I'm not saying I can, but if he did?"

I go over to the boss, tell him that, he'll shift the figures accordingly. 

Remember, at the end of the day it's about cost of change or monthly payment. No matter how you get there, they'll jiggle the numbers and get to a compromise. 

"You wanted to pay £250 a month, if we give you another £400 for your p/x, we're at £262. We aren't gonna argue over £12 a month are we?"

It's playing the game to get the deal that suits everyone.

Edited by tom27111

5 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Rule number 1, build the customers desire. Get them in the car.

8 minutes ago, Umbungo78 said:

Tom I've got a 2015 scirocco r and I'll be trading in for a golf r at some point, I'll keep my eyes on this thread for when you're ready 

Feel free to PM me mate.

I can start having a look for you.

I'll have a lot of questions to ask to help you find the right thing, they may seem intrusive, but all are necessary. 

Basically, for anyone else that's after something, I'll need to know:

What car do you want?

Specific model?

Alternatives?

Age?

Ideal mileage? (Of course it's as low as possible, but...)

Colours?

Specs...satnav/panoramic roof/reverse camera etc.?

Fuel Type?

Number of doors?

Manual or Auto?

Budget?

Monthly payments or buying outright?

Car to trade in?

Basically as much detail as possible. We ask for a reason.

I'll do best to find you something and get you the best possible deal.

Of course I make commission, you all know that. But I like to think I'm honest and will be fair. I'm also teaming up with my former boss who is a top bloke and has the same philosophy as me. 

I want to sell you a car so you tell your mates and everyone on here to come and see me when they want one. And you'll be back in 3,4 or 5 years when you want another :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Because ultimately, the sales person is under pressure to make their unit sales quota. 

Whilst it works out better for the salesman to keep the price as high as possible to maximise commission, if you don't shift the units, you won't have a job.

The sales managers/controllers are also massively experienced and know how to stack the deal to maximise profit for the dealership and also benefit the customer.

As the bosses don't sell directly, their commission and bonuses are structured around profitability.

A good salesman will stay strong. The customer wants 2k off, not going to happen. Tell the customer that. Say "come on, give me something to work with."

If the salesman is back and forth to the desk every 2 minutes, he's useless. 

There's some leeway as the sales exec builds the rapport and knows his customer. If the customer asks for 6k for his p/x but the sales manager is only authorising 4k, you say "Look, 6k isn't going to happen, we just can't do it, that's retail price...right, if I can push my boss to 5k and we drop the admin fee, would we have a deal today? I'm not saying I can, but if he did?"

I go over to the boss, tell him that, he'll shift the figures accordingly. 

Remember, at the end of the day it's about cost of change or monthly payment. No matter how you get there, they'll jiggle the numbers and get to a compromise. 

"You wanted to pay £250 a month, if we give you another £400 for your p/x, we're at £262. We aren't gonna argue over £12 a mother are we?"

It's playing the game to get the deal that suits everyone.

I totally get that it's a game mate, but as a customer, I want to play the game with a salesperson who's empowered to make their own decisions rather then them plus some 'boss' I never see who hides in the back office behind a desk and is obviously too important to speak to me.

I'd like to think that salespeople understand sales quotas/targets/margins/profitability and how to construct a deal as a bare minimum, which begs the question - what's the real job of the sales manager? 

And I think the fact you've also referred to them above as 'controllers' kinda answers the question :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Looking to buy a car as a cash buyer soon. Any advice on getting the price down?

Depends if you come and see me or not lol

If you scroll back through the last few pages, I've offered some buying advice.

Feel free to PM if you would like to be more specific about the details.

Always happy to help.

Edited by tom27111

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I totally get that it's a game mate, but as a customer, I want to play the game with a salesperson who's empowered to make their own decisions rather then them plus some 'boss' I never see who hides in the back office behind a desk and is obviously too important to speak to me.

I'd like to think that salespeople understand sales quotas/targets/margins/profitability and how to construct a deal as a bare minimum, which begs the question - what's the real job of the sales manager? 

And I think the fact you've also referred to them above as 'controllers' kinda answers the question :rolleyes:

Haha that's the title some dealers use.

We do understand the margins, but that's just how it works. It possibly is outdated.

A good sales manager should come and speak to you though.

But on a Saturday, we'd have 16 sales execs, all with a customer and people still waiting. It would be difficult to get deals right and give the customer the attention they deserve.

Covid changed things at my last place. When I went back from furlough, the process was different. I basically did the sales thing and got the customer to the point of saying "yes, I want that car".

Then we got them on a zoom call with a sales manager at head office to do the negotiations. They had the authority to do the deal. Was a brilliant system.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 15:24, tom27111 said:

I'm back in the motor trade!

Starting on 19th August.

If anyone is in the market for a new car, feel free to give me a shout. 

Working for Bristol Street Motors. Got over 7000 used cars in stock and I'll also be selling new Peugeot's.

Can't wait to get started.

Just going back through the thread, I'm in the market for a 5008, petrol 1.6 ideally and automatic. 

I'll have a look at Bristol Street motors now's but what's your thoughts on the 5008. Seems perfect for a family car tbh (got another sprig on the way)

16 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Looking to buy a car as a cash buyer soon. Any advice on getting the price down?

I'll elaborate a bit more. 

A lot of dealers won't really discount a car from it's advertised price anymore. Especially with the new online places like Cazoo and Cinch. The price is the price. Plus, you have to advertise a very competitive price to get it on the first page of AutoTrader. Who scrolls to page 10?

Cash isn't king. Dealers want you to buy on finance as they take a percentage. Car finance has its benefits though, despite a slightly higher APR. For example, if you take a 10k loan to buy a car, you've closed off that line of credit if you have an emergency or need 10k for a new kitchen.

The finance is secured on the car, the bank won't take that into account if you ask them for a loan.

Having a car to part exchange is a good way to haggle. Don't buy the bullshit We Buy Any Car adverts say. I guarantee a dealer will pay you more than they will.

Try to buy at the end of the month. The dealer will be looking to make sales targets.

But don't be afraid to ask. And definitely don't be afraid to walk away if you're not happy. If they can do you a better deal, they'll soon be on the phone to get you back in.

3 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Just going back through the thread, I'm in the market for a 5008, petrol 1.6 ideally and automatic. 

I'll have a look at Bristol Street motors now's but what's your thoughts on the 5008. Seems perfect for a family car tbh (got another sprig on the way)

Very nice from my experience, but that isn't a lot to be honest. Waiting to do my Peugeot product knowledge training.

Qashqai's, Sportage's and Kadjar's also definitely worth having a look at.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'll elaborate a bit more. 

A lot of dealers won't really discount a car from it's advertised price anymore. Especially with the new online places like Cazoo and Cinch. The price is the price. Plus, you have to advertise a very competitive price to get it on the first page of AutoTrader. Who scrolls to page 10?

Cash isn't king. Dealers want you to buy on finance as they take a percentage. Car finance has its benefits though, despite a slightly higher APR. For example, if you take a 10k loan to buy a car, you've closed off that line of credit if you have an emergency or need 10k for a new kitchen.

The finance is secured on the car, the bank won't take that into account if you ask them for a loan.

Having a car to part exchange is a good way to haggle. Don't buy the bullshit We Buy Any Car adverts say. I guarantee a dealer will pay you more than they will.

Try to buy at the end of the month. The dealer will be looking to make sales targets.

But don't be afraid to ask. And definitely don't be afraid to walk away if you're not happy. If they can do you a better deal, they'll soon be on the phone to get you back in.

Thanks mate, you've confirmed what I thought would be the case. But good to have a better idea where I would stand.

• Like 1

Any Tesla drivers on here? 

I need to change to an ev, but am struggling to find one I like. 

Tesla seems to fit most of my tick list, but I’ve heard some horror stories as well 😬

Would be good to get some first hand accounts. 

• Like 1