Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

3 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

For a Ltd company buying or leasing an electric vehicle, the cost is fully tax deductable at the moment, not sure if a change is planned or not in April 2022.

Also the BIK rate is 1% (I think) at the moment, compared to the 37% I'm paying at the moment, so it'll save me about 3k in personal tax as well. 

Add in the fact that electricity is about 25% cheaper per mile than petrol (if charging at home). 

I'm definitely going for it. 

Bloody hell, that all sounds too good to be true. I'll be e-mailing my accountant tomorrow to start the process before they change the rules!

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Bloody hell, that all sounds too good to be true. I'll be e-mailing my accountant tomorrow to start the process before they change the rules!

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I think I had some info from my accountant on it, as I was asking earlier in the year - I'll ping it across if I can find it. Let me know what yours says!

And I think some of the perks are dependent on what VAT scheme you are on (?).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

I think I had some info from my accountant on it, as I was asking earlier in the year - I'll ping it across if I can find it. Let me know what yours says!

Ping it across here too please.

I’m less and less hands on at work and my need for a van is evaporating, this could be an option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

As far as I know I'm on the standard VAT scheme now mate (I used to get away with 13% but they closed that loop hole a few years ago!)

As a Jaaaaaaag driver, I love the I-Pace and that's probably what I'd go for. Just been on the Jag website to 'build my own' but a £68k car has just turned into an £88k car with all the extras lol

Maybe I need to curb my enthusiasm until I've spoken with my accountant :unsure:

P.S. With this worldwide semi-conductor shortage it'll probably be a year until it's ready by which time knowing my luck the rules will have changed :(

15 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You just want another car to clean on a Saturday afternoon lol

I'm a bit bored on cleaning my XF now tbh. I've paint corrected it and ceramic coated it so it looks better than it did when I bought it a year ago. Apparently We Buy Any Car are offering silly money for decent second hand motors so might see what they'll offer me and might even make a profit :D

15 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm a bit bored on cleaning my XF now tbh. I've paint corrected it and ceramic coated it so it looks better than it did when I bought it a year ago. Apparently We Buy Any Car are offering silly money for decent second hand motors so might see what they'll offer me and might even make a profit :D

I'll find you something new and still beat their price!

The second hand market is booming for a few reasons.

In my interview, the sales manager told me that some part exchanges are being bought for more than cat clean prices (the absolute max price that should be paid for something mint, which never haopens), if they can be retailed. 

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

And this is why your Mrs smashed up the Volvo, keeps you busy lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'll find you something new and still beat their price!

The second hand market is booming for a few reasons.

In my interview, the sales manager told me that some part exchanges are being bought for more than cat clean prices (the absolute max price that should be paid for something mint, which never haopens), if they can be retailed. 

It's mad ain't it. I'm on a few XF Facebook groups and there's a chap on there who was offered good money from WBAC but decided to hold fire. Over the last 2 weeks they've e-mailed him 3 times and keep upping the price. They're now offering £2k more than the first offer which suggests they must be desperate.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's mad ain't it. I'm on a few XF Facebook groups and there's a chap on there who was offered good money from WBAC but decided to hold fire. Over the last 2 weeks they've e-mailed him 3 times and keep upping the price. They're now offering £2k more than the first offer which suggests they must be desperate.

The pandemic has made people question if they want to buy a brand new car. A lot of people held on to their lease cars over the pandemic because of financial uncertainty, so there isn't the usual amount of 2/3/4 year old ex lease cars going to auction. The semi-conductor shortage means that lead times on new cars is 6-12 months.

The used car market is booming and demand is outstripping supply.

I'll be targeted in new and used sales in my new role, but I'm really excited about the used side.

My old place had access to around 2000 to 3000 used cars and we could find almost anything a customer wanted. My new place has around 8000 across group that I can get hold of, which is mind blowing.

It's going to be fun.

Edited by tom27111

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The pandemic has made people question if they want to buy a brand new car. A lot of people held on to their lease cars over the pandemic because of financial uncertainty, so there isn't the usual amount of 2/3/4 year old ex lease cars going to auction. The semi-conductor shortage means that lead times on new cars is 6-12 months.

I'll be targeted in new and used sales in my new role, but I'm really excited about the used side.

My old place had access to around 2000 to 3000 used cars and we could find almost anything a customer wanted. My new place has around 8000 across group that I can get hold of, which is mind blowing.

It's going to be fun.

Make hay while the sun shines mate. Fill yer boots! 

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 23:08, tom27111 said:

I'm just not overly convinced this country has everything in place yet to go fully electric.

I watched a Guy Martin thing the other night. He seemed to think the same thing. He tried to drive from Grimsby to John O'Groats, but 50% of the public charge points he came across weren't working.

He's of the opinion that if you're only travelling within 50 miles of home, buy electric. If you're travelling further, don't do it yet.

On 12/08/2021 at 00:11, The Bear said:

Charging infrastructure is definitely the main issue to get over. Tesla's superchargers are a real selling point because they're on pretty much every motorway, they're really quick and more importantly very reliable. Third party ones can be flaky at times because the owners just want the revenue and not the maintenence, but they're in the minority really, and there's a great app (ZapMap) that tells you all the locations and if there are issues, or it's currently in use. Though Tesla will be opening up their charging network soon to other brands, and Gridserve are currently upgrading all the old crappy Ecotricity chargers along all the highways. Plus places like Premier Inn are now installing chargers at their hotels, so it's going in the right direction. Home charging is the biggest issue to get over. That'll need better battery technology and faster charging before everyone can adopt in 20 or so years from now. Though saying that if you have chargers available wherever you work then you could almost do without home chargers at all other than for holidays and trips away. Plus charging points at retail parks, etc for when you're out and about shopping and such. 

I did some further digging on YouTube last night on the Jag I-Pace and watched this video that has kinda put me off going electric right now tbh. No doubt it's a decent car, cheap to run, brilliant performance etc, but the public charging infrastructure seems an absolute nightmare atm (unless you get a Tesla). Seems to be that unless you've got the capability to charge it overnight at home (which I don't) then it's just too much hassle. Shame as I quite like the idea and the tax breaks of putting it through the business but practically I just can't see it working - for me.

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

It's going to be fun.

I'm going to be in the market for a car soon. Been working from home since the start of the pandemic. I also still have the company pool car but that could go back at any time. I can manage without a car for now, but when they give us the return to office working call I will need to get something sorted.

I'll give you a shout when the time comes mate!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Milo said:

Well ideally I'd like a Model X! But even second hand they are pretty pricey.

And I have a feeling that the Model S might be a tad on the small side...but I would be willing to give it a go.

I think my main issue will be one of a mentality shift from my side - I've been driving round in big 'get out of my fcking way' cars for decades, and I think I'm having to face the reality that I won't have that any more. 

But none of the taller EV's float my boat, hence the Tesla question.  

I-Pace's are supposed to be fun, but again they are a bit on the small side.

The Model S is bigger than the Model 3! In terms of outside dimensions any way. If you need a 7 seater or SUV size then yeah Model X is the way to go, but as you say they're expensive. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I did some further digging on YouTube last night on the Jag I-Pace and watched this video that has kinda put me off going electric right now tbh. No doubt it's a decent car, cheap to run, brilliant performance etc, but the public charging infrastructure seems an absolute nightmare atm (unless you get a Tesla). Seems to be that unless you've got the capability to charge it overnight at home (which I don't) then it's just too much hassle. Shame as I quite like the idea and the tax breaks of putting it through the business but practically I just can't see it working - for me.

It depends on what chargers are around you where you live. I only occasionally take a drive to the Tesla Superchargers as I got 1000 free charging miles when I bought the car. Otherwise I wouldn't use them at all as the closest ones are about 20 miles away. 

Download the free app ZapMap and that'll show you exactly what chargers are in your area, how much they cost and what speed they are. Purple are rapid (50kw) blue are fast (7kw). You want the purple rapid ones if you have no off-road parking like myself. Some 7kw ones are free like the PodPoint ones at Tesco, but they don't add range very quick at that speed. 

https://www.zap-map.com/live/

I charge every couple of weeks, or more if I've used the car a lot. If you're going to use yours for work then you'd likely have to do it every week, depending on your mileage, which means sitting for an hour while that happens. Either in the car or getting a coffee or bite to eat if the charger is at a supermarket or near to somewhere. 

When I bought it I worked out my weekly mileage and then how often I'd need to charge. If that's doable then I say go ahead. If its too regular or inconvenient then stick to ICE for now. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone into detailing here? I think @Izzy, you mentioned you'd dabbled at one point? 

Yes mate. I’m not a professional by any stretch but I’ve got a decent understanding of the process and products. Anything you want to know?

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yes mate. I’m not a professional by any stretch but I’ve got a decent understanding of the process and products. Anything you want to know?

Got into it in the last 18 months or so. It's cathartic, man. 

Just looking for some knowledge sharing TBH. Any killer product recommendations? I largely use Meguiars and Auto Finesse stuff which are largely good, although I find both brands have products that are a bit hit and miss. 

I recently picked up a bottle of Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel on recommendation from a friend. It's a remarkable thing, TBH. Absolute game changer for the alloys and removes pretty much all effort.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Got into it in the last 18 months or so. It's cathartic, man. 

Just looking for some knowledge sharing TBH. Any killer product recommendations? I largely use Meguiars and Auto Finesse stuff which are largely good, although I find both brands have products that are a bit hit and miss. 

I recently picked up a bottle of Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel on recommendation from a friend. It's a remarkable thing, TBH. Absolute game changer for the alloys and removes pretty much all effort.

Sure is cathartic mate. I'm looking forward to six hours detailing with my headphones on tomorrow before the football :)

I'd say Megs and Auto Finesse are both up there with the best brands. I sometimes use the Megs Hybrid Ceramic Detailer to finish if I'm short for time, and their Ultimate Black plastic restorer is decent too. Can't say I've used Auto Finesse myself (although I love their YouTube channel) but I'm a big fan of GTECHNIQ and use quite a few of their products.

But Bilt Hamber are the best for me. I use auto-wheel at a 50:50 dilution with water and it still easily does the job. If I'm doing regular routine maintenance washes on mine and the wife's motor then I don't use it every time because there's just no need. I also use BH's clay bar, Korrosol, and Cleanser fluid/panel wipe (but I now mix my own IPA to use before polishing). The BH product I probably use the most is Surfex HD mixed 1:10 which can be used on pretty much everything as an all purpose cleaner - it's brilliantly versatile.

Not sure if you use Facebook but there's a group on there called 'Detailing Central' where the pros hang out and I get loads of tips from them. Also follow Forensic Detailing, AMMO NYC, Apex Detailing, Car Cleaning Guru, Paul Dolden Details, Pan the Organizer & Obsessed Garage on YouTube among others.

I find the more you know, the more there is to know and I'm getting more and more addicted. Just got to be careful I don't piss money away on unnecessary products just became they're the 'latest thing' :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 21:03, Izzy said:

I totally get that it's a game mate, but as a customer, I want to play the game with a salesperson who's empowered to make their own decisions rather then them plus some 'boss' I never see who hides in the back office behind a desk and is obviously too important to speak to me.

I'd like to think that salespeople understand sales quotas/targets/margins/profitability and how to construct a deal as a bare minimum, which begs the question - what's the real job of the sales manager? 

And I think the fact you've also referred to them above as 'controllers' kinda answers the question :rolleyes:

Just been speaking to my old boss, who is going to be my boss again.

I'll be at a main dealer now, selling new cars, but also used cars.

The old place I was at was a car supermarket that was very cut-throat.

Hes explained a bit more and told me why a main dealer is more relaxed and personal.

Confirmed that the sales exec will have more freedom and the boss will come and spend more time with the customer too.

Much more of a relaxed atmosphere. We're both looking forward to working together again. We're mates and have full confidence in each other and know that this will come across to the customers too.

If you saw Undercover Bosses the other other day, it's about making it a good experience for people, not ripping them off.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Raj said:

@izzy

What do you reccomend for the plastic, both inside and the black bumpers please?

I've used poor boys and it's good but anything else youd recommend?

If you want something to use regularly to maintain plastic that's already in decent condition, I'd recommend this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G15812EU-Ultimate-Plastic-Restorer/dp/B0044090GC/ref=asc_df_B0044090GC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310513207083&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15857438851868730937&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045302&hvtargid=pla-451446778028&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

If you want something that will restore old/faded plastic and will last for a couple of years, I'd get this (expensive but awesome stuff)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gtechniq-C4-Revitalize-Discoloured-Unattractive/dp/B00IOMDUN0/ref=asc_df_B00IOMDUN0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310493449173&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6815151764114313156&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045302&hvtargid=pla-470127168878&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Had the Peugeot 5008 test drive today. Nice car but thinking of getting a 2 series BMW gran tourer instead now as they are actually cheaper than the Peugeots. 

Gotta another test drive on Sunday before making a final decision.