Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

We haven't won anything yet.

Sport is littered with example of prospective winners taking their foot off the pedal in the subconscious belief that they've already won something.

I have an everlasting image of the 1963 Leicester City captain Appleton standing on the presentation balcony at Wembley holding up the FA Cup days before the game.

We were everyone's favourite to win the Cup for the first time we'd been in the final just 3 years before, we had every right to be confident having just drawn away and beaten Man U at home just the month before and we'd been in the top 4 all season whilst Man U had been fighting relegation.

But that egg on the face picture still haunts me.

i get that this scenario has scarred you for life but this is a completely different situation. that was a cup final. we may have been favourites but at the end of the day it was a one off game and we were either going to win the cup or lose the cup. 

right now we have effectively 6 cup finals (our 3 games and spurs' 3 games) and we literally just need one of those six matches to go our way and we win the league. 

i'm sure if, in 1963, they'd said right you've got 6 goes at winning this cup final you'd have been pretty confident of getting the job done at some stage, too. 

A month ago I would agree but not now.  Spurs are 7 points behind us with 3 games left, surely it's too much of a gap. 

We've lost three games all season so now we're going to not pick up a point from our next three games?

We've been singing "we're going to win the league" for the past month. I have never joined in but Sunday I will sing it. The away end should be a special place on Sunday and rightly so. 

What amazes me is the amount of mongos who want us to not beat Yanited so we can secure it vs everton. Stop being so self centred and assured we will beat Everton. Just been united first and secure it then parade it at everton

I think it's fine for fans to be confident from here. Not being confident might even be a bit disrespectful to the team given what they've shown us this year.

I thought the stay behind at palace might have tempted fate a bit, but actually, maybe the players gained something from that display of confidence from the fans? Maybe worrying that they will mess it up becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

More likely, I suspect, is that Ranieri has them totally focused on finishing the job, and they're largely unaware of current levels of confidence among the fans.

What amazes me is the amount of mongos who want us to not beat Yanited so we can secure it vs everton. Stop being so self centred and assured we will beat Everton. Just been united first and secure it then parade it at everton

I don't get that either. If the title isn't done by Everton then it will be a nervous few hours before the game. If the job is done and dusted this weekend then the whole day of the Everton game will be spent singing and celebrating before heading to the game. Get the job done asap

This sort of thing happens with every title-race leader in every sport in every country.

As Claudio so often says, "the fans must dream" but the players "must work hard." I have no reason to believe the players and coaches will take their foot off the pedal now, nor do I expect all of this attention to get to their heads. They have a job to do on Sunday, and I know they'll do it well.

We'll probably do it. But worrying about losing it (had a dreadful feeling in my gut when Spurs won at Stoke) will make it all the sweeter when we actually pull it off.

We've just got to not panic if we don't beat Man U.

We've not won anything yet but to lose it from here would be extraordinary from us and a proper choke job. We've never really been under pressure this season we have been comfortable at the top and have a manager and group of players that seem to block out the enormity of what is happening here. Could all that change should we lose on sunday and Spurs win on Monday? I genuinely don't know, I don't know when these players would actually feel it. Us fans are heinous, we're still petrified even when 7 clear with only 3 games to go.

Reading this makes my heart race and I feel sick, I need to go and stare at pictures of Kante and Mahrez.

I'm not discounting Man Utd but as you mentioned the word hypothetical lets assume that we get beat by Everton and Spurs beat Chelsea.

Then we have a 4pt lead with theses fixtures coming up.

Man Utd (a)

Chelsea (a)

and Tottenham have:

Southampton (h)

Newcastle (a)

Will people still be saying grow some balls and we'll definitely win it from here?

Anyone who doesn't think there is still a significant job to do is an utter moron. Yes, I believe we will probably win it from here but if we don't get a favourable result in the Everton match and Spurs beat Chelsea then it's game on again for Spurs.

Oh and 95% chances not happening isn't a "remarkable" sequence of events, they happen dozens of time per day on Betfair.

Am I missing something here, we're playing Man Utd first, how can we lose to Everton and then have Man Utd and Chelsea coming up?

A month ago I would agree but not now.  Spurs are 7 points behind us with 3 games left, surely it's too much of a gap. 

We've lost three games all season so now we're going to not pick up a point from our next three games?

We've been singing "we're going to win the league" for the past month. I have never joined in but Sunday I will sing it. The away end should be a special place on Sunday and rightly so. 

Have you seen our fixtures?

We still have to go to Man Utd & Chelsea away, it's a very plausible scenario we don't get 3pts from our last 3 games.

Am I missing something here, we're playing Man Utd first, how can we lose to Everton and then have Man Utd and Chelsea coming up?

You are missing something, it's hypothetical.

I'm just highlighting if we don't get a favourable result in the Chelsea vs Tottenham match or Leicester vs Everton match our perceived chances plummet from 95% to about 60%. 

People are putting far too much faith in us beating Everton and Tottenham not beating Chelsea.

Don't get me wrong I think the title race will be over by Monday evening but it's not the virtual foregone conclusion some are suggesting.

i get that this scenario has scarred you for life but this is a completely different situation. that was a cup final. we may have been favourites but at the end of the day it was a one off game and we were either going to win the cup or lose the cup. 

right now we have effectively 6 cup finals (our 3 games and spurs' 3 games) and we literally just need one of those six matches to go our way and we win the league. 

i'm sure if, in 1963, they'd said right you've got 6 goes at winning this cup final you'd have been pretty confident of getting the job done at some stage, too. 

I get that this is a different situation but at the same time we did throw away our best chance of winning the league by dropping from a consistent 1st/2nd position down to 4th by losing our last 4 games. Shit happens and we're not guaranteed that it wont in spite of our favourable position.

I only give these as examples of worst case scenarios.

It's not about being pessimistic or optimistic, in fact I'm more optimistic than I normally am it's more to do with the many people talking as if we've already won it that does my head in with the Merc and RL leading the way which is a bit rich for RL considering how in recent times they've tried their very best to undermine those at the club.

You are missing something, it's hypothetical.

I'm just highlighting if we don't get a favourable result in the Chelsea vs Tottenham match or Leicester vs Everton match our perceived chances plummet from 95% to about 60%. 

People are putting far too much faith in us beating Everton and Tottenham not beating Chelsea.

Don't get me wrong I think the title race will be over by Monday evening but it's not the virtual foregone conclusion some are suggesting.

I see what you mean now, just a bit of confusion over the Man Utd coming up part, sounded like after the Everton game.

In all fairness Everton haven't won in 7 Premier League games, so I can understand the confidence, but regardless of form they are capable.

I don't think it's over yet, but considering our form I'd be surprised if we didn't win one of the last 3. 

I'd feel much better if Vardy was playing against Manure.. Think we'll slip to a close fought defeat in this one.. But every chance that Chelsea will beat The Spuds or at least draw..

We just need to make sure we don't slip up against Everton!

You could always just not read the Mercury and not listen to RL

Again only examples hence 'leading the way'

Anyway I've had enough of this debate and will follow my own way and be happy with where we are and i'm beyond description of how I'll feel if we win it.

Archived