Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah that’s what attracted us, it’s never going to be unique being a new build but they have such a variety of templates it’s not ike the usual legoland estates.

Yea I agree they are completely unique compared to the majority of other builders, quality material throughout as well even the outsides/garages etc.. solid houses.

• Like 1

I sell to the National house builders and I’m always interested in people’s thoughts on them. 

I deal with William Davis and have to say they are fantastic builders everything is of the highest quality. Like others have mentioned I like Davidson’s house types too was close to buying one last summer. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Strokes said:

Looking at a new build, we’ve chosen the house and negotiated having flooring, fences and turf put down. 

Has anyone else got any experience buying new build that, might have any tips or things to look out for before I hand over my deposit tomorrow?

Do a fair bit around new builds and whilst some are great some are equally as bad.

The Pros - little decor changes required, you can screw them out of some insane deals, they have to fix your snags, you will make a big return on a sale, no upper chain to deal with

The Cons - atrocious interior finish...have seen plasterers plastering in the dark with head torches, 10% social housing - yummy, over priced (but you will make decent returns), snags snags and more snags, road adoption is an absolute pain in the ass, the builder isnt building your house - they subcontract the lot to local outfits some good some very very bad.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 20:32, Strokes said:

Looking at a new build, we’ve chosen the house and negotiated having flooring, fences and turf put down. 

Has anyone else got any experience buying new build that, might have any tips or things to look out for before I hand over my deposit tomorrow?

Snagging.  Go over with a fine tooth comb. Get others involved and let them have a look. Don’t settle for any shit. 

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Snagging.  Go over with a fine tooth comb. Get others involved and let them have a look. Don’t settle for any shit. 

Cheers pal, 

I’ve rectified enough snagging in the past to hopefully pick up on it.

I’ve signed the contracts today but the sneaky bastards did try to catch me out, they added some of the agreed free upgrades to the house price and blamed it on a clerical error when I picked them up on it. I’ve been over and over everything and I’m sure I’ve not missed anything else but it’s really knocked my confidence in the deal. 

Im not sure whether or not to pull it now.....?

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I wish new build houses would come empty with nothing included.  They really do know how to fill it with garbage.  It looks all nice and new but many of the fixtures and fittings are of the cheapest quality.  Take the bathroom and ensuite as an example, you aren't getting Pochins level quality in those for a start.  

They’d do themselves out of business with that as model though pal, as much as I agree it should be a discounted option. Not everyone can afford the fixtures and fittings and need it as part of the mortgage.

24 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Cheers pal, 

I’ve rectified enough snagging in the past to hopefully pick up on it.

I’ve signed the contracts today but the sneaky bastards did try to catch me out, they added some of the agreed free upgrades to the house price and blamed it on a clerical error when I picked them up on it. I’ve been over and over everything and I’m sure I’ve not missed anything else but it’s really knocked my confidence in the deal. 

Imagine my shock. I told you that all of the sales people are cow boys, some of them earn about £30k a year in bonuses so they couldn’t care less.

If it’s the house you want though I wouldn’t pull out, as much as I moaned about my builder and some of the crap I put up with I’m lucky to live in the house I do where I do and it would sell for a decent profit with no hassle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Imagine my shock. I told you that all of the sales people are cow boys, some of them earn about £30k a year in bonuses so they couldn’t care less.

If it’s the house you want though I wouldn’t pull out, as much as I moaned about my builder and some of the crap I put up with I’m lucky to live in the house I do where I do and it would sell for a decent profit with no hassle.

Yeah it’s why I asked for advice on here and I’m glad I did. I’d have probably scanned the document if I’d not been told so by you and others. It has been amended now but I’m a bit bitter, you shake hands on an agreement and that should hold. 

I owe a drink to a few on here, I’ve got free upgraded kitchen worktops, bigger patio, side gate and legal cost contributions because people here either suggest them or pushed me harder to fight for more. 

My missus would kill me if I pulled the plug.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Yeah it’s why I asked for advice on here and I’m glad I did. I’d have probably scanned the document if I’d not been told so by you and others. It has been amended now but I’m a bit bitter, you shake hands on an agreement and that should hold. 

I owe a drink to a few on here, I’ve got free upgraded kitchen worktops, bigger patio, side gate and legal cost contributions because people here either suggest them or pushed me harder to fight for more. 

Haha bloody hell you have done well, if I had have asked ours to shit in my kitchen that would have been another £500.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Strokes said:

They’d do themselves out of business with that as model though pal, as much as I agree it should be a discounted option. Not everyone can afford the fixtures and fittings and need it as part of the mortgage.

Even a so called top of the range kitchen with granite worktop is placed over a stainless steel sink!  

The best fixtures and fittings I've seen are in Morris homes.  The sanitary ware is decent quality and the kitchens arent your usual Symphony tat.

I've not looked at Davidson's although I do wonder how they can charge 400k+ for a 4 bed detached and shift these.  If interest rates rise by 2% I can't see how people can afford the mortgages!

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Even a so called top of the range kitchen with granite worktop is placed over a stainless steel sink!  

The best fixtures and fittings I've seen are in Morris homes.  The sanitary ware is decent quality and the kitchens arent your usual Symphony tat.

I've not looked at Davidson's although I do wonder how they can charge 400k+ for a 4 bed detached and shift these.  If interest rates rise by 2% I can't see how people can afford the mortgages!

On that last point, banks approve the mortgages based upon stress rates of more than that increase so people would be able to afford them.

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I do get your point, some of the stuff is good some of it crap. Most of the upgrades are good. It depends on how much liquid you have available.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

On that last point, banks approve the mortgages based upon stress rates of more than that increase so people would be able to afford them.

Yeah we wouldn’t have to cut back unless things went to 7-8%. Although ours is not £400k more like £340k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

42 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Well that sorted that one !! ..    :)

All part of the game mate ..   as long as it’s a good builder and put together right, and you like it ..  then go for it.  Just keep your eyes wide open.  

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Mortgages are just the start of it.  Wait until childcare costs kick in... lol

Yep 500 quid a month on childcare. 800 on the mortgage. Tax, pension contributions, student loan, bills. = Literally nothing spare, literally. 

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Nice one!

• 1 month later...

Right lads the time is approaching and I am going to get the wheels in motion. Deposit is sorted (£20k) and now have the paper work to see what we can borrow. Does anyone have any mortgage advisers they would recommend? Also solicitors etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Christoph said:

Right lads the time is approaching and I am going to get the wheels in motion. Deposit is sorted (£20k) and now have the paper work to see what we can borrow. Does anyone have any mortgage advisers they would recommend? Also solicitors etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Where are you based? I used an independent guy who was brilliant

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 08:15, davieG said:

I guess it depends on the price bracket but I'd argue the market is as flat as a pancake definitely a buyers market on the house I'm trying to sell I've had to reduce the price twice and still no offers

Brexit uncertainty presumably?