Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I was buying with a 20% deposit last year tbf but it fell through :(

I am looking, will keep you all updated.

PS. Thank you all for the stern but fair words :D

Some fair words of advise given but do I recall that you'd an offer accepted and it was all scuppered at the valuation stage? You've not just been watching the market and saving, you were actively trying to buy a place to be fair to you.

A wider search area and considering other properties will hopefully help going forward though. Although the perfect property doesn't exist, whatever your budget, it's still a massive investment and you need to be happy with it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is yours the one in Coalville that was posted a couple of pages back?

If it wasn't such a shithole (Coalville that is) I'd probably be interested, as the house was bloody lovely!

I second that. I really like the look of that house. Surely should have no problems selling that, it looks lovely.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is yours the one in Coalville that was posted a couple of pages back?

If it wasn't such a shithole (Coalville that is) I'd probably be interested, as the house was bloody lovely!

Ha! Yes, that’s the one. 

In fairness, we’re technically Bardon :D

I know what you mean though. I’ve not been into Coalville itself for years. 

59 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I second that. I really like the look of that house. Surely should have no problems selling that, it looks lovely.

Not had a single viewing in 5 weeks. So it’s going well. 

42 minutes ago, Sly said:

Ha! Yes, that’s the one. 

In fairness, we’re technically Bardon :D

I know what you mean though. I’ve not been into Coalville itself for years. 

Mate it's a lovely house, but a bit too far out of the city for most people probably, plus like you say, not a lot in Coalville unfortunately. If you haven't had a single viewing in 5 weeks then it might be priced a tad too high maybe?

Does anyone on here live or has previously lived in Enderby? What's it like? I only know of the trouble outside the school last year lol

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Mate it's a lovely house, but a bit too far out of the city for most people probably, plus like you say, not a lot in Coalville unfortunately. If you haven't had a single viewing in 5 weeks then it might be priced a tad too high maybe?

Does anyone on here live or has previously lived in Enderby? What's it like? I only know of the trouble outside the school last year lol

Lovely house but far too urban for me. Are others in your area priced at a similar level @Sly Are they selling? 

The other half kept finding good houses at good prices in Coalville when we were first looking, I dismissed them all on the basis it was Coalville. Which wasn't appreciated/understood.  On our first house hunting trip a couple of years ago we went to Coalville. No houses in Coalville have been looked at since 🤣

I used to live in Enderby but left 11 years ago now. I suppose like most places there are issues but I never experienced any. Couple of decent pubs, shop and decent distance to town for nights out and football. Which was all I needed when I moved there as a 20+ singleton.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Lovely house but far too urban for me. Are others in your area priced at a similar level @Sly Are they selling? 

The other half kept finding good houses at good prices in Coalville when we were first looking, I dismissed them all on the basis it was Coalville. Which wasn't appreciated/understood.  On our first house hunting trip a couple of years ago we went to Coalville. No houses in Coalville have been looked at since 🤣

I used to live in Enderby but left 11 years ago now. I suppose like most places there are issues but I never experienced any. Couple of decent pubs, shop and decent distance to town for nights out and football. Which was all I needed when I moved there as a 20+ singleton.

They were, funnily enough, it seems to have dropped of a cliff in the past 4 weeks. 

Enderby is nice, 3 decent pubs, a social club for cheap beer and a couple of restaurants. They’ve just had the leisure centre refurbished which has a nice gym & swimming pool. Narborough train station less than a 10 minute drive, the motorway and Fosse park less than 5 minutes away in the car.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I only know one person from Enderby and if I wanted advice from them it would be about leaked lcfc teams. 

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

3 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Enderby is nice, 3 decent pubs, a social club for cheap beer and a couple of restaurants. They’ve just had the leisure centre refurbished which has a nice gym & swimming pool. Narborough train station less than a 10 minute drive, the motorway and Fosse park less than 5 minutes away in the car.

Cheers all.

Gonna add Enderby and Blaby to both my potential list of places, heard good things about both of them, close to motorways, town centre, decent pubs etc.

• Like 1

Evening all. Re offers for homes.

I put an offer for a home in August. Estate agent said  significantly higher offers were received. I check the official land registry data for all sold house prices, I was £3000 out for this one, hardly significant.

I mentioned this to the same agent recently when putting another offer in and he said this time, asking price is met for sure blah blah. 

I'm aiming for a mere 6-8% discount but can't seem to get a break. 

I can only see prices going up now since Fishy Rishi (with his £10 million property portfolio) announced the new packages such as lower LTV returning to  5%, extension of the stamp duty cut etc....

If brexit and covid didn't make a dent on house prices, doubt anything will unless there's a rise in interest rates. 

Gonna add Enderby and Blaby to both my potential list of places, heard good things about both of them, close to motorways, town centre, decent pubs etc.

My neck of the woods, LL. Solid areas to live, not posh, not poor. Give me a shout if you need any info about the areas.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'm in Narborough on the Pastures, decent enough area based here mainly for the links to Fosse Park, Motorway, Hinckley etc. Reasons are being close enough to the city but far enough away from it to get the best of both worlds.

We've been looking at NW Leicestershire for our next move, seems to offer more value in property/garden size than other parts of the county.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, newfox1 said:

I put an offer for a home in August. Estate agent said  significantly higher offers were received. I check the official land registry data for all sold house prices, I was £3000 out for this one, hardly significant.

I mentioned this to the same agent recently when putting another offer in and he said this time, asking price is met for sure blah blah. 

I can only see prices going up now since Fishy Rishi (with his £10 million property portfolio) announced the new packages such as lower LTV returning to  5%, extension of the stamp duty cut etc....

If brexit and covid didn't make a dent on house prices, doubt anything will unless there's a rise in interest rates. 

At the moment it's a sellers market. You have multiple people making offers on homes so a lot of people are sticking to their valuations on the idea they can wait it out until someone does come in. The way I see it...if theres a house you really like..what difference does a few grand make over 10/20/30 years?  Obviously you shouldn't be ripping yourself off making daft offers but if theres a house you like then i think its worth chucking a few more quid at it if need be. 

I think too many people are expecting house prices to fall but tbh the best that I can see happening is house prices stagnating at the current prices for a while. There just aren't enough houses available in this country. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newfox1 said:

Pay what it's worth.

If you're going around with a permanent desire to get a 6-8% discount, you're going to have a long old search. Especially in a seller's market. 

Asking prices are somewhat arbitrary figures. While they are routed in recommendations by estate agents, the ultimate decision on listing price comes down to what the seller is looking for. Sometimes that means you'll get low asking prices (where speed of sale is more important), and sometimes they'll hold out for something above what might be considered average for the house they're selling, which they might get away with in a seller's market.

My advice would be to not get emotionally involved in what the asking price is. Try to be objective. Compare to other houses in the area, audit based on what you're looking for and decide what your ceiling offer should be for the house based on those factors alone.

We just bought for asking price. We originally went in thinking about a discount as the house needs work. Ultimately it became clear there was a lot of interest and competition, and actually when we looked at similar houses at the price we paid, we are very happy with what we've got. Now that we're progressing on the move I couldn't give a fook that I didn't get a 'discount', because I know the house represents great value based on similar properties in the area, and what it is we were looking for.

Don't go in with discount as your default, basically. 

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Pay what it's worth.

If you're going around with a permanent desire to get a 6-8% discount, you're going to have a long old search. Especially in a seller's market. 

Asking prices are somewhat arbitrary figures. While they are routed in recommendations by estate agents, the ultimate decision on listing price comes down to what the seller is looking for. Sometimes that means you'll get low asking prices (where speed of sale is more important), and sometimes they'll hold out for something above what might be considered average for the house they're selling, which they might get away with in a seller's market.

My advice would be to not get emotionally involved in what the asking price is. Try to be objective. Compare to other houses in the area, audit based on what you're looking for and decide what your ceiling offer should be for the house based on those factors alone.

We just bought for asking price. We originally went in thinking about a discount as the house needs work. Ultimately it became clear there was a lot of interest and competition, and actually when we looked at similar houses at the price we paid, we are very happy with what we've got. Now that we're progressing on the move I couldn't give a fook that I didn't get a 'discount', because I know the house represents great value based on similar properties in the area, and what it is we were looking for.

Don't go in with discount as your default, basically. 

Thanks for the advice and you may be right and my approach may need to change. I'm a cash buyer with my own savings and family chipping in so a few thousand here or there does matter in my case whereas if I was getting a mortgage, wouldn't be too fussed. I'm giving myself a few more months otherwise a mortgage route it may well be necessary. 

See the latest data below. Interesting though as the data shows the number of homes is well down, like you said, contributing to the lack of supply and prices up!

rightmove_average_initial_asking_price_2

rightmove_new_instructions_2021_02.png

Edited by newfox1

10 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Viewed 6 on Saturday and had a peak at another 3 we had our eye on. 

Some decent ones, but none quite as nice as the one for which we were gazumped. Feels like being on the rebound lol 

Sleep in the house for one night and dont return any calls when you are asked if you want to take things further.