Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

33 minutes ago, Sly said:

Ha! Thank you! As I said though, fairly empty! 

I certainly wouldn't describe it as fairly empty, it's clean, smart and uncluttered. To be honest, I'm not sure if we've much more furniture than that normally.

I'd prefer viewing something 'fairly empty' over a ton of clutter anyday.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

I am still in the searches phase. Contracts should be agreed fairly soon. All i get from my daughter is 'When's the moving date?' 

The waiting around kills me lol 

Same, mine's really dragging on. Last time I moved we had hardly any involvement with solicitors, they let us know when the searches were ready to check, and then a 2 month wait and then signing off and agreeing a completion date. This time I've been getting trickle-fed emails with searches and other mostly bullshit documents, with long waits in between, and then last week I got an email out of the blue saying the seller wishes to complete on 15 March. I emailed back immediately to say yeah that's fine, let me know when this is confirmed. Heard nothing since. If I miss the stamp duty holiday because someone's forgot to open an email I'm going to be pissed off!

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I know its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but out of curiosity how long would it take (roughly) to sell a house from the date of approaching an estate agent to date of exchange? 

Unfortunately, that's impossible to answer. Ours went on the market in August, and we accepted an offer end of Jan. Some properties agree an offer in a week, others it's a year.

The agent for the one we're buying said she'd people just completing who had their offer accepted last summer. A property newsletter I receive said a good percentage of people who agreed their sale pre-Christmas will not complete before the 31st March.

I asked our Solicitor for an estimate, and he said 12 weeks. It's very dependent on who is in the chain and their financial position. A FTB buying a new build will be far quicker than 6 of you all buying and selling, with mortgages to secure, valuations required and all to align in the exchange.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Offer accepted, as long as I can get the mortgage having been on/off furlough.

That shouldn’t be a problem, given our conversations with advisors/lenders. 

Feeling pleased. Obviously there’s that “did we pay too much” feeling (we probably did). But the house was originally on for more than our final offer. 

We ended up £7,500 over the revised price, but we think it’s worth it. We’re paying £600 p/m rent, so the sooner we move out, the more we save in that regard. 

If this thread has taught me anything, it’s that this is just the start lol 

Been gazumped after just one day.

Sounds like an insane offer. It'd be madness to match it. 

• Sad 4

On 23/02/2021 at 12:21, Jon the Hat said:

We are supposed to be exchanging today.... everything crossed as I have already signed a lease from tomorrow, paid a deposit and a months rent, and 50% of the removal fees...

How’d you get on, bud?

18 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Been gazumped after just one day.

Sounds like an insane offer. It'd be madness to match it. 

Yep, so it seems like they went £10k over our offer (so £17.5k over asking) and 50% in cash. Absolutely insane. 

Feel better knowing that we never really stood a chance, and that we cost the bastards a lot more than they wanted to pay. 

Demoralising start to our house hunting though.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 1

Think we have decided we are going to seriously look at moving but we are torn between countryside and city.

Quick question, does/has anyone ever lived in or around new walk? I like the houses there and like the idea of being really close to town but I’m worried about the crime so any experiences would be welcome.

58 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yep, so it seems like they went £10k over our offer (so £17.5k over asking) and 50% in cash. Absolutely insane. 

Feel better knowing that we never really stood a chance, and that we cost the bastards a lot more than they wanted to pay. 

That's a bit grim, mate. Although I suppose it's vaguely comforting to know that it was so much above what you'd pay...more gutting if it was five hundred quid or so above.

Regroup and get all your duck's in a row ready for when the next one comes on. 

My mentality was one of battle for our move. In my mind I had to fight everyone at every stage to get what we wanted...no idea if that'll help you or not!!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Think we have decided we are going to seriously look at moving but we are torn between countryside and city.

Quick question, does/has anyone ever lived in or around new walk? I like the houses there and like the idea of being really close to town but I’m worried about the crime so any experiences would be welcome.

I work on London Road and know the area fairly well. Houses are really nice but that side of Leicester is full of crack and spice heads now. There was a string of burglaries against the shops on London Road last year so it's definitely a bit risky. 

Rowley fields (top end anyway) is a nice little area If you want to be close to the city. I think any closer and it gets a bit mehhhh.

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

That's a bit grim, mate. Although I suppose it's vaguely comforting to know that it was so much above what you'd pay...more gutting if it was five hundred quid or so above.

Regroup and get all your duck's in a row ready for when the next one comes on. 

My mentality was one of battle for our move. In my mind I had to fight everyone at every stage to get what we wanted...no idea if that'll help you or not!!

Cheers mate. When our offer was accepted, I was actually thinking "Shit we've paid too much". But you're right, after getting beaten, we actually said we'd go £10k above asking. 

Estate agent told us that it was still nowhere near! 

21 hours ago, Nalis said:

I know its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but out of curiosity how long would it take (roughly) to sell a house from the date of approaching an estate agent to date of exchange? 

I'm at 3 months (almost to the day) and still counting. FTB and the property I'm buying is Vacant - doesn't get any simpler. 

19 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I work on London Road and know the area fairly well. Houses are really nice but that side of Leicester is full of crack and spice heads now. There was a string of burglaries against the shops on London Road last year so it's definitely a bit risky. 

Rowley fields (top end anyway) is a nice little area If you want to be close to the city. I think any closer and it gets a bit mehhhh.

Cheers, that’s what puts me off to be honest. I’ll probably look at Clarendon Park closest and Knighton Church Road furthest from town I think otherwise might be somewhere out in the sticks again.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Gazumping is a cr@ppy thing to do…

It shouldn’t be allowed really

its tricky to judge the sellers too much as would you knock back £10k for a moral principle?  Many wouldn’t and would accept feeling a bit bad…

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

That's bad news, but you're right to be consoled that you were nowhere near.

I thought the idea of sealed bids was to avoid a bidding war and gazumping, what's the point of it, if after the highest bid accepted it's disclosed, so someone else is free to up their offer?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

That's bad news, but you're right to be consoled that you were nowhere near.

I thought the idea of sealed bids was to avoid a bidding war and gazumping, what's the point of it, if after the highest bid accepted it's disclosed, so someone else is free to up their offer?

Yeah me too. May as well have had an auction!

I suppose if the estate agent gets another call with a massive offer, she's duty bound to inform the seller.

5% mortgages coming back then from April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56218952

Bad news for those with a decent deposit I think (me), will probably push the prices up even more. Genuinely feels like I'm not getting anywhere, I get a decent deposit together then the prices rise sharply, I catch up and something else happens lol Feels like a kick in the balls being financially responsible at the minute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Mate, I think if you are waiting for the perfect time and the perfect place to buy, you may be waiting a while. 

Anyone who’s bought a property has been through the same angst as you are going through, and the ‘what if, what if’ scenarios that we play over and over. 

‘What if the market dips, what if a better place becomes available a week after I’ve bought a house, what if I buy it and don’t like it’...all totally natural. 

The reality is that the market is what it is. A house is (usually) a long term investment, and (usually) goes up in value - buying somewhere and living in it is (usually) a much much better option than stalling and waiting for somewhere that may or may not become available. 

I have a friend that works abroad and was going to buy a property here as an investment around the same time I bought my first house. He stalled and stalled waiting for the ‘right’ time and has ended up buying nothing. That was 20 odd years ago - He could’ve got somewhere and paid off the mortgage by now!! 

I’m sure you know what you’re doing, and I mean nothing but encouragement, but it seems from your posts that you’re in a great position, but seem to want to second guess the property market before you commit. 

Maybe use this weird time as a tester - some people are desperate to sell and a first time buyer with a decent deposit like yourself might suit them down to the ground. The worst that can happen is someone will say no to a cheeky offer! (For our recent move we had someone offer £30k under asking price for ours, which we refused and ended up getting full asking price, but tried our luck and offered £50k under asking on the house we’ve just bought, which was accepted...much to our astonishment).

Doesn’t make any sense, so impossible to second guess it!! 

My totally unsolicited advice would be to get out and start looking for a home, if you are ready to move. Otherwise the months and years just slip by. I’ve always found it better to be proactive than reactive. 

Best of luck, bud - looks like you’ve done an extraordinary job of getting the money in place for it. 👍

Cheers mate, honestly have no interest in trying to second guess the market I just wanted 25% deposit for a better rate tbf, achieved that, then they went up, just achieved it again and now I've got a feeling they'll go up again.

Like you said I think it's best to just get on with it so that's what I'm doing now, I've expanded my potential areas for a search and I'll make a compromise on a house if need be, rather than waiting for somewhere 10/10 perfect which I have been doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Cheers mate, honestly have no interest in trying to second guess the market I just wanted 25% deposit for a better rate tbf, achieved that, then they went up, just achieved it again and now I've got a feeling they'll go up again.

Like you said I think it's best to just get on with it so that's what I'm doing now, I've expanded my potential areas for a search and I'll make a compromise on a house if need be, rather than waiting for somewhere 10/10 perfect which I have been doing.

If you’d bought with a 10% deposit you might be better off.  Find somewhere and buy it!