Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

16 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Right who wants to hear my latest tales of woe with estate agents? All of these original convos were on Tuesday morning/afternoon.

First house that I called about, been on RightMove for a while, I enquired why, she said the owners were waiting for COVID jabs, had just had them and were doing viewings again starting tomorrow. She said she would call me back and let me know when I could view it. The phone call never happened, I rang yesterday and nobody answered the phone. I've just had an email saying the house has been sold and they are no longer taking viewings.

Next house, tried to arrange a viewing, sorry it's sold, fair enough. Got my old dear to ring about another one this morning (as I'm on nights) and got talking to the EA in the office who said the original property infact wasn't sold... She said she'll call the vendors and get back to my mum with a time to view it later on today. I waited a few hours, no phone call, rang them back, the other EA says the property is definitely sold and she doesn't know why the other EA said it wasn't.

Another house, another EA, we'll get back to you ASAP with a potential viewing time as we're doing a block viewing. Nothing as of yet, been over 48 hours now, won't moan about this one too much.

Finally, another house, EA said they'll call me back with a date and time to view it after speaking to the vendor, nothing came of it. Rang them back yesterday, bloke says sorry don't know how this has happened, give me 30 mins I'll chase it up and call you back. No phone call was returned.

It genuinely bemuses me and pisses me off, how is this possible? Why do I feel like I'm constantly being screwed over? I've had about 15 incidents like this in the 20 houses I've tried to view, just look at my earlier posts where EA weren't even responding to my offers, finding out a property was sold on RightMove, EAs lying about sending me contact information when they didn't have my details, multiple houses sold before I've even got to view it, it's unbelievable, it really is, I don't understand how anyone can operate this way.

Blimey!

I think you need a charm offensive strategy. Set aside a day to sort it out and get noticed. 

I assume that you have identified a few areas that you want to live in - I would highly recommend checking out all the agents in those areas and paying them a (socially distant and masked) visit in person. Pop your head in to each of them, introduce yourself and ask to be uploaded to their system (while you're in the office). Explain that you are a proceedable FTB with a big bag full of cash and that you'd like to be informed immediately if the agents take on any of XYZ type properties - ideally before they reach the market. 

Big smile (behind your mask, obvs) and look like you mean business. 

Mate, I'll be your Phil and @Izzy can be your Kirsty...   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Im Due to move in to a new build next Friday. We reserved in mid March 2020 and exchanged at the start of May 2020. We were meant to be moving in September 2020 but obviously the pandemic happened, so there’s been a serious delay, nobodies fault. 

October/November/Dec seems like a fair estimate for them to complete. Do you know if they’ve got the footings and foundations done yet? If they have then more than likely late October I’d say, if not then you might be looking at the back end of that estimate. You’ll be surprised at how quickly they can throw these houses up when they get going. 

Congrats on your new place, hope the move all goes well. I spoke to them today, they've just finished digging it out. They we're delayed by 3 weeks due to the weather and ground being so hard and cold.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

Congrats on your new place, hope the move all goes well. I spoke to them today, they've just finished digging it out. They we're delayed by 3 weeks due to the weather and ground being so hard and cold.

Cheers mate. Congrats to you too, it’s been without doubt one of the most exciting things we’ve ever done, there’s plenty of the process that’s a chore but the majority of it is really good watching it take shape in front of you. Getting to pick your options and extras and kitchens and light configs and socket points and stuff is a really nice touch too. 

We had delays when they were moving the ground on ours too this time last year. Apparently it’s not as much that they can’t move the soil, but more when it’s wet the tips that they usually take the excess soil to after moving it close down so they have nowhere to shift it too...which is mental when you think about it! 

10 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Does anybody live in Whetstone? I know very little about it, but looks to be some value there. 

I don’t live a million miles away and grew up in the next village along so I know a fair bit about it.

Its not my favourite place but it’s all down to personal preference. It’s a big village with plenty of local amenities and it doesn’t really have a hugely rough area although some are worse than others as ever.

What do you want to know?

38 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I don’t live a million miles away and grew up in the next village along so I know a fair bit about it.

Its not my favourite place but it’s all down to personal preference. It’s a big village with plenty of local amenities and it doesn’t really have a hugely rough area although some are worse than others as ever.

What do you want to know?

Just if it’s rough or not pretty much lol 

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Just if it’s rough or not pretty much lol 

No mate definitely not rough. It’s not the most pleasing on the eye of places, I grew up in Cosby so was lucky in that respect but as a result houses are cheaper there.

Nothing wrong with crime etc in any of it I wouldn’t say.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We finally exchanged Wednesday last week, same day we picked up the keys to the rental.  Moved loads of stuff ourselves and then today the big move with the removals guys.  Utterly exhausted but we’re in.  A few more bits to grab tomorrow morning then drop the keys through the letterbox for the new owners.  It’s sad but also exciting to know we can move to Australia on our timeline now! 

Well done Jon. It's all coming together.

Went to look round the new house for the first time (inside) today. Lordy the stuff people say about snags are real, let me tell you. 

I reckon I counted 50 odd in half an hour without even really looking. Thankfully, site were already aware of most of them and are on their radar to fix. The “it’ll do” attitude to building and trade in this country is properly shit when you think about it. Surely it would make more sense to just do the job properly and do it once but I suppose everything is governed by the bottom line and time is £££. 

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Went to look round the new house for the first time (inside) today. Lordy the stuff people say about snags are real, let me tell you. 

I reckon I counted 50 odd in half an hour without even really looking. Thankfully, site were already aware of most of them and are on their radar to fix. The “it’ll do” attitude to building and trade in this country is properly shit when you think about it. Surely it would make more sense to just do the job properly and do it once but I suppose everything is governed by the bottom line and time is £££. 

You think its bad now, wait until you've lived in it for a year or so lol I think my Taylor Wimpey home was built on a Friday at 4pm

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Manini said:

What developer was this with if you don’t mind me asking?

Selling a house at the moment. Out of nowhere, a couple that viewed have just blown the leading offer out of the water. To the tune of 8% above the asking price! Huge. But they also have a track record of pulling out, according to agents. Has anyone ever used a “non-refundable deposit” scheme when selling privately ????

3 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Selling a house at the moment. Out of nowhere, a couple that viewed have just blown the leading offer out of the water. To the tune of 8% above the asking price! Huge. But they also have a track record of pulling out, according to agents. Has anyone ever used a “non-refundable deposit” scheme when selling privately ????

I think this is where your agent needs to do a bit of work, tbh. 

I’ve not come across a deposit scheme for offers. 

Sounds an interesting idea. Not one that I would go for, personally, though. :D

It has been known for people to put good offers on multiple properties just to get them off the market, so they can then chose which ones to look at seriously in a more leisurely way. 

But your agent should be filtering these people out for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

I think this is where your agent needs to do a bit of work, tbh. 

I’ve not come across a deposit scheme for offers. 

Sounds an interesting idea. Not one that I would go for, personally, though. :D

It has been known for people to put good offers on multiple properties just to get them off the market, so they can then chose which ones to look at seriously in a more leisurely way. 

But your agent should be filtering these people out for you. 

The only thing I could find on the net suggested it can be done, but that would obviously involve legal costs for drafting up a contract that stands up. As you say, I’ve never heard of a private vendor going down this route. Just curious if anyone else knew of anyone that had done so? 

11 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I’ve done it before in a similar situation. I didn’t need to enforce it though, as they purchased the property. 

• Thanks 1

Guys I need some advice. I’m 24 and I currently live with just my mum and have been paying towards the mortgage for 3 years or so. Things are difficult at the home and I think it’s time I bought my own place, I have a decent amount saved up and looking at a 2 bed house to get onto the property ladder. However my earnings are only around 20k mark and am I right in saying you can only a house which costs up to 4x within your salary? And that wouldn’t leave me with a lot of options. Pretty much ain’t got a clue with this sort of thing so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Harry96 said:

Guys I need some advice. I’m 24 and I currently live with just my mum and have been paying towards the mortgage for 3 years or so. Things are difficult at the home and I think it’s time I bought my own place, I have a decent amount saved up and looking at a 2 bed house to get onto the property ladder. However my earnings are only around 20k mark and am I right in saying you can only a house which costs up to 4x within your salary? And that wouldn’t leave me with a lot of options. Pretty much ain’t got a clue with this sort of thing so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks 

On £20k you could borrow around £65k, but, payments would be way lower than equivalent rent

Look at a mortgage calculator and start to go onto comparisons sites to look at best multiples etc.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/mortgages/mortgage-calculator.html

it all depends on what you saved up?

Assuming you could stretch to £80k there are options 

Fosse rd North is decent - close to town etc…

Fosse Road North, Leicester
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-88300960.html

you’ll have options…. 1 bed flat but look into leasehold obligations and ground rent…

ask lots of questions on here as there is a lot of knowledge and a lot of people willing to help

By the way (not being patronising!). Good for you at getting some money together…. Buying any place at 24 is a great step…

• Thanks 1