Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Agree with the house prices being mad. We just bit the bullet and went for it. Was looking for land for about 3 years to self build and then just thought fvck it...can't hang around waiting forever. 

Anyway, what d'you want to retire for, mate?! 

What would you do all day?

Unfortunately I'm not as fit, strong, and able as you mate, and I don't have the energy to work for much longer. I started work at 16 so retiring at 57 means I've done my 40 years thanks very much :)

I'll easily fill my day with going to the gym, playing golf, and detailing cars. And a few holidays too if I'm healthy enough.

If it means we have to live on top of each other for the next few years in this pokey house then so be it.

Anyway, hopefully the kids will fvck off soon and then this place will be just fine for me and the wife :thumbup:

• Like 1

Talking of extensions (I think someone was at some point, probably me) I've been trying to get a single storey 32sq metre side lean to built since last December. Still waiting for planning approval and already had an objection by a neighbour (claims a covenant exists but doesn't have evidence). Whilst waiting I've started asking for building quotes. Two written ones received so far, first for £62k plus vat (about £20k more than expected) and the second for £175k! I thought it a typo but apparently not. One of these two builders has got it very wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Talking of extensions (I think someone was at some point, probably me) I've been trying to get a single storey 32sq metre side lean to built since last December. Still waiting for planning approval and already had an objection by a neighbour (claims a covenant exists but doesn't have evidence). Whilst waiting I've started asking for building quotes. Two written ones received so far, first for £62k plus vat (about £20k more than expected) and the second for £175k! I thought it a typo but apparently not. One of these two builders has got it very wrong. 

Covenants are a domestic matter anyway so he would have to have the cash to take you to court even if he thought he could win. Its not something that the council will take into account when looking at planning.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I think because I'm not a City person I don't appreciate all of these things and why you'd pay such a premium for a property smaller than one elsewhere for the same price, or the same type of property elsewhere but significantly less expensive but as they say it's Location, Location, Location :D

Our new place (when we eventually get moving :huh:) is right on the edge of Whitwick, bordering a woodland, and I'm slightly concerned about moving to a place that 'big' and urban.

I had an A level  sociology teacher back in the day….  

One of these people that you’ll always be grateful that you’d met…. She thought I was slightly ‘alternative’ because I had a nose and ear piercings!  Anyway…. She invited me round for dinner at her house in Whitwick (in the age before it’d be considered weird to do such a thing)…. Her and her husband were so nice and we spent all the evening talking about ‘stuff’…. Interesting ’stuff’…. A memorable night…

I only went to whitwick once, but, I remember it was steep, rural and had nice people!  Bordering woodlands sounds amazing…. Enjoy 😉 

5 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Covenants are a domestic matter anyway so he would have to have the cash to take you to court even if he thought he could win. Its not something that the council will take into account when looking at planning.

Yes, that's true. She's also claiming that it will affect her 'privacy and peaceful enjoyment of her property' which is hilarious as we can't see her back garden and her front garden can be viewed by anyone standing on the pavement outside. All a bit weird as we've known her for years and get invited to family parties. Planning does odd things to people. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

That was me!  Mines within ‘permitted development’ so no planning required…. Mine - shell and core - has had quotes between £75 and £50k…. None of them have got the business…  If you don’t need it right now hold on…

I’m just sub contracting out and have various suppliers…. This maybe difficult at times, but I can control the material quality and plod through…. I’ll update on here whether that was a mistake or not…!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

That was me!  Mines within ‘permitted development’ so no planning required…. Mine - shell and core - has had quotes between £75 and £50k…. None of them have got the business…  If you don’t need it right now hold on…

I’m just sub contracting out and have various suppliers…. This maybe difficult at times, but I can control the material quality and plod through…. I’ll update on here whether that was a mistake or not…!

Is it worth holding on? Like the idea of waiting until the extension boom has cooled so possibly avoid getting ripped off but the kitchen is falling apart and has needed replacing for about 10 years! Feels like we have a bit of momentum at the moment so don't want to wait too long. 

My worry about subcontracting would be builders blaming each other for issues causing delays. Not sure if I have the will and patience for that. Also I'm stressed enough about the City so don't want anymore. 

:rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Yes, that's true. She's also claiming that it will affect her 'privacy and peaceful enjoyment of her property' which is hilarious as we can't see her back garden and her front garden can be viewed by anyone standing on the pavement outside. All a bit weird as we've known her for years and get invited to family parties. Planning does odd things to people. 

The world is full of funny f@ckers

I had a chat to my neighbours about our extension that would replace an existing wall across their boundary…. My question was ‘what do you want? As I won’t see it…’  She  was delighted as it turns out the previous owners of my house wouldn’t even allow hanging baskets on a wall they’d never see….  People can be massive knobs about such things and create unnecessary stress …. Never be knob and don’t indulge the knob…. Sorry you’ve had to deal with a knob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I'm married to a planning officer. Trust me some of the stuff that goes on you would think she had murdered their granny lol

Edited by Bayfox
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Is it worth holding on? Like the idea of waiting until the extension boom has cooled so possibly avoid getting ripped off but the kitchen is falling apart and has needed replacing for about 10 years! Feels like we have a bit of momentum at the moment so don't want to wait too long. 

My worry about subcontracting would be builders blaming each other for issues causing delays. Not sure if I have the will and patience for that. Also I'm stressed enough about the City so don't want anymore. 

That’s a BIG question!   Your prices seem ‘punchy’ but I have no idea if you have clay soil or your access / groundworks are going to be tricky…. There are so many variables

Anything >£50k shell and core  for 32m2 (supporting floor not tiled and plastered finish with second fix carpentry) is taking the royal piss…. Kitchens and finishes are so variable…. I’m going to use DIY kitchens from Pontefract for my kitchen (~£3k)

I have everything written down…. Translated into staged payments…. They get paid x when y is achieved…. The trick is not to be an @rsehole and flex when unexpected stuff comes up...  err on the generous side of fair…. Work kicks off at nine within the next couple of moths...   I’ve done 4 major house renovations in my time and have survived to tell the tale!

• Like 1

Selling our flat and buying a house.

Offer accepted on house January 25th. Flat similar time.

Seems to be going at a glacial pace.

Apparently there are just a couple of enquiries remaining to get answers and supply responses for. 

Assuming that's all tied up by the end of this week, what sort of timelines should I expect to get the keys? Solicitor won't even give me an indication of timelines despite my insistence that I simply want some sort of guide, not a stick to beat them with if they miss a 'deadline' they set.

Difficult to make moving plans, or any plans for that matter when I have no idea whether we'll be moving in 3 weeks or 3 months.

Edited by Nod.E

40 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Apparently there are just a couple of enquiries remaining to get answers and supply responses for. 

Assuming that's all tied up by the end of this week, what sort of timelines should I expect to get the keys? Solicitor won't even give me an indication of timelines despite my insistence that I simply want some sort of guide, not a stick to beat them with if they miss a 'deadline' they set.

Difficult to make moving plans, or any plans for that matter when I have no idea whether we'll be moving in 3 weeks or 3 months.

You’re nearly there and it can take time…. 

if you’re down to having questions answered chase the solicitors…. As soon as they’re resolved then propose a few moving dates and get them to be agreed with others in the chain 

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I sold my mums house recently, and it took just over 3 months from offer being accepted.

If you are selling or buying a flat (presuming leasehold), then a lot depends on how quick the freeholder of the flats is at responding.

I tried to buy a flat a few years ago, but gave up after about 5 months of the freeholder being a bellend and delaying sending out requested information.

Just keep on at the solicitor (politely). 

We've finally agreed a completion date. Hopeful exchange will be arranged this week.

The last 3 weeks have been a stressful farce. The buyers Solicitor noticed after having the deeds for weeks, we didn't have a building control final completion certificate (no idea how we bought the house). No problem, copy from the council. Except the file was archived, and their attitude was to retrieve it next time someone happens to go. Persistence paid off, copy obtained last week.

Our buyers have sold and are now in rented, wanting to complete by end May. They did at least abandon the idiot idea of us all completing and renting back or pulling out if we didn't agree to do so!

On Thursday/Friday with all the sale paperwork prepared and pretty much the same in the onward chain, we said we'd try for that. Except due to the 3 week certificate delay, Pickford's are booked up. 4th June now the earliest available date. Which our solicitor says we shouldn't book until exchange but if we don't, we'll lose that date. Fortunately, for £500 we can book a cancellation/postponement waiver. Love a bargain!

Yesterday, our vendor, who had said they would accommodate any date we wanted as we have the greatest logistics to arrange, threw a major tantrum (highly abusive to the agents and solicitor apparently) and threatened to withdraw from the sale if completion wasn't the end of May. WTF?! A week difference to a date that wasn't ever agreed, just an ambition, subject to Pickford's availability.

Thursday was bad, Friday worse and yesterday a nightmare. Fortunately, everyone has acquiesced, and we're agreed on 4th June. Fingers crossed. Desperately need exchange to happen and everyone to stop being tw@ts.

Edited by FoyleFox

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

We agreed our sale 25th Jan, our purchase 10th Feb and our vendors agreed their purchase 26th Feb. Completion is scheduled for 4th June (we've had delays, see post above).

I asked the Solicitors the same, they'll not commit or give a remote hint other than 8 - 12 weeks.

Once enquiries are responded to, I'd say about 4/6 weeks. They'll issue sale contracts and transfer deeds, arrange to exchange and complete.

Going slow here as well, offer was only accepted 2 months ago tbf, so realistically it's not going to be anytime before the end of July IMO. Homebuyers report came back ok, so it's just a waiting game now. I've been round and measured the place up for settees and appliances etc. Went SCS the other day and they said any recliner settee will have a 3 month wait on it. I think with that in mind, I'm gonna get the keys, then do little things to it before moving in, such as fresh carpets, maybe tidy the bathroom up a bit and the garden too. This means I can order settees and do everything else whilst they come, whilst also living at home. Hopefully I've got the keys by August.

• Like 1

Accepted an offer on my flat a few weeks back, close enough to what we wanted and a cash buyer so happy with that. Not in a hurry to complete as I'm renting at the other end of the country until we find somewhere we want to buy there.

Problem is that I'm starting a new job there at the start of July so need to move everything in late June so timing is awful for removals as they just arent responding, guessing due to being a busy period thanks to a stamp duty holiday I wont benefit from.

Anyone having issues with booking removals for June?

On 08/05/2021 at 21:55, Spudulike said:

Builders eh - I love em. I like it when you talk to them and they say things like “ didn’t really want the job so I put in a silly quote and they accepted it”

Then there are the crap ones that are now getting work as people just will accept anyone to do it.

The worst time ever for getting the builders in, well worth avoiding if you possibly can.

Builders come with baggage and problems, a potentially nice project can come with problems during and after. Take your time and hold off if you can. 

28 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Builders eh - I love em. I like it when you talk to them and they say things like “ didn’t really want the job so I put in a silly quote and they accepted it”

Then there are the crap ones that are now getting work as people just will accept anyone to do it.

The worst time ever for getting the builders in, well worth avoiding if you possibly can.

Builders come with baggage and problems, a potentially nice project can come with problems during and after. Take your time and hold off if you can. 

Might have to hold off anyway and possibly go back to the drawing board with the plans as our Town Council have lodged an objection. They have basically just done a copy and paste job on the neighbours comments and not even visited the site to take a look. I don't know how much weight the planners will give to the comments but this, coupled with the TPO issue, is making me think we might get refused permission. 

The Town Council also mention restrictive covenants but I can find no record of them in my title deeds or the neighbours which I got from HM Land Registry for £3.

Still trying to get builders quotes but it seems they are too busy to even come round to discuss it. 

Fed up. 

We finally agreed a sale! Only people in the chain ……. Us and them. 

Lets see how long this takes to go through. 

Cant see it being June, so that’s a £12.5k tax bill I’m getting. 

Edited by Sly
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Might have to hold off anyway and possibly go back to the drawing board with the plans as our Town Council have lodged an objection. They have basically just done a copy and paste job on the neighbours comments and not even visited the site to take a look. I don't know how much weight the planners will give to the comments but this, coupled with the TPO issue, is making me think we might get refused permission. 

The Town Council also mention restrictive covenants but I can find no record of them in my title deeds or the neighbours which I got from HM Land Registry for £3.

Still trying to get builders quotes but it seems they are too busy to even come round to discuss it. 

Fed up. 

That's a pain, mate.

Have you explored the option of building under permitted development? Might be worth a look in to. 

Although you may still have the TPO issue... 

44 minutes ago, Milo said:

That's a pain, mate.

Have you explored the option of building under permitted development? Might be worth a look in to. 

Although you may still have the TPO issue... 

Problem we'll run into is one end of the extension is at the front of the house (with windows) so it will disqualify it under permitted development. The other end runs into the RPA (root protection area) so we might have to shorten it buy a couple of metres. That's also the end where the neighbour claims loss of privacy (which is rubbish). 

These restrictive covenants are a big worry. I've written to the neighbour asking her to prove their existence. Perhaps buried in some legal annex or somewhere that I can't find. 

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Problem we'll run into is one end of the extension is at the front of the house (with windows) so it will disqualify it under permitted development. The other end runs into the RPA (root protection area) so we might have to shorten it buy a couple of metres. That's also the end where the neighbour claims loss of privacy (which is rubbish). 

These restrictive covenants are a big worry. I've written to the neighbour asking her to prove their existence. Perhaps buried in some legal annex or somewhere that I can't find. 

Are there any entries on your deeds which say "copy filed"? These are usually old transfers / conveyances which contain the restrictive covenants

1 minute ago, ketteringscott said:

Are there any entries on your deeds which say "copy filed"? These are usually old transfers / conveyances which contain the restrictive covenants

I haven't got my deeds to hand at the moment but nothing came to light during the conveyance back in 1997. However, the extract of the title register of my neighbours property that I got from Land Registry says Note: Original filed in section C: Charges Register. 

46 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I haven't got my deeds to hand at the moment but nothing came to light during the conveyance back in 1997. However, the extract of the title register of my neighbours property that I got from Land Registry says Note: Original filed in section C: Charges Register. 

Yes that would be the document that contains the covenants. There will usually be a transfer of your property in your title which would contain the same covenants. I don't know whether you have kept the copy of your paperwork from when you bought but your solicitor would have sent you a copy. Alternatively you can download a copy of the document from Land registry 

• Thanks 1