Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

37 minutes ago, ketteringscott said:

Yes that would be the document that contains the covenants. There will usually be a transfer of your property in your title which would contain the same covenants. I don't know whether you have kept the copy of your paperwork from when you bought but your solicitor would have sent you a copy. Alternatively you can download a copy of the document from Land registry 

I have all the paperwork from when I bought the house and find no mention of covenants that could affect the building of an extension. 

However, I only have the £3 title register extract of my neighbours property so I think it might be worth downloading those deeds (think it's £7).

I suspect there won't be anything of note in it as mine contains nothing. 

House went up for sale 2 days ago , we now have 22 viewings booked and one offer without even viewing, the market is mental 

I think selling is the easy bit and we now have to find a house somehow. It looks like a case of look at Rightmove every hour so you can be one of the first 20 to ring up. 

9 hours ago, grth2004 said:

House went up for sale 2 days ago , we now have 22 viewings booked and one offer without even viewing, the market is mental 

I think selling is the easy bit and we now have to find a house somehow. It looks like a case of look at Rightmove every hour so you can be one of the first 20 to ring up. 

I think that’s too reactive, bud. 

Agents that take on a property will have a long list of people they’ll contact way before a house goes live on Rightmove. 

Badger your agents!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I have all the paperwork from when I bought the house and find no mention of covenants that could affect the building of an extension. 

However, I only have the £3 title register extract of my neighbours property so I think it might be worth downloading those deeds (think it's £7).

I suspect there won't be anything of note in it as mine contains nothing. 

It's worth doing, at least you would know if there are any covenants that are going to cause you an issue. If there is anything in there which you are not sure on give me a shout and I will have a quick look for you.

• Thanks 1

On 08/05/2021 at 21:09, Spudulike said:

Talking of extensions (I think someone was at some point, probably me) I've been trying to get a single storey 32sq metre side lean to built since last December. Still waiting for planning approval and already had an objection by a neighbour (claims a covenant exists but doesn't have evidence). Whilst waiting I've started asking for building quotes. Two written ones received so far, first for £62k plus vat (about £20k more than expected) and the second for £175k! I thought it a typo but apparently not. One of these two builders has got it very wrong. 

We built a two story extension and subbed it out ourselves, 22m2 downstairs and 12m2 upstairs, we got quoted anything between £46K and £90K (shell only, not including windows) So I subbed it out one function by another, with a bit of guidance, Took 9 months but we did it for about £50K including windows, new kitchen, aluminium bifold, two new bathrooms. I bought all the materials from EH Smith myself. I had zero construction experience. 15 skips!

Think I've saved about 30K 

Go for it - if you go with a builder for everything they will lay a margin on every aspect - groundwork, bricklaying, roof, plumbing, electrics etc! That erodes all your margin when you come to sell. I hve some fantastic contacts I've built over the last year if you need any help. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

We built a two story extension and subbed it out ourselves, 22m2 downstairs and 12m2 upstairs, we got quoted anything between £46K and £90K (shell only, not including windows) So I subbed it out one function by another, with a bit of guidance, Took 9 months but we did it for about £50K including windows, new kitchen, aluminium bifold, two new bathrooms. I bought all the materials from EH Smith myself. I had zero construction experience. 15 skips!

Think I've saved about 30K 

Go for it - if you go with a builder for everything they will lay a margin on every aspect - groundwork, bricklaying, roof, plumbing, electrics etc! That erodes all your margin when you come to sell. I hve some fantastic contacts I've built over the last year if you need any help. 

That's really impressive. Not sure if I have the confidence or energy to do it. I think I'm going to have to accept being ripped off to a certain extent. Currently considering holding off for a while hoping the boom slows down. That's if I actually get planning approval which is in the balance at the moment. 

13 hours ago, Milo said:

I think that’s too reactive, bud. 

Agents that take on a property will have a long list of people they’ll contact way before a house goes live on Rightmove. 

Badger your agents!! 

Thanks yeah your right I need to be on there list , my addiction to right move though is a thing 

14 hours ago, Spudulike said:

That's really impressive. Not sure if I have the confidence or energy to do it. I think I'm going to have to accept being ripped off to a certain extent. Currently considering holding off for a while hoping the boom slows down. That's if I actually get planning approval which is in the balance at the moment. 

In that case why don't you move? As the idea of an extension is its a cheaper option....may take away some of the financial stress of run overs and cost etc! I presume you've thought this all through but just a punt, it can be a very stressul 6-9 months while its all happening

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

In that case why don't you move? As the idea of an extension is its a cheaper option....may take away some of the financial stress of run overs and cost etc! I presume you've thought this all through but just a punt, it can be a very stressul 6-9 months while its all happening

Ever seen that Love it or list it programme on C4? That's where we are currently. Been looking around for a year or so but haven't found anything that would be worth the upheaval. Factor in the cost of stamp duty, solicitors, removals etc etc and unless something outstanding comes up then we'll try to extend. 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Ever seen that Love it or list it programme on C4? That's where we are currently. Been looking around for a year or so but haven't found anything that would be worth the upheaval. Factor in the cost of stamp duty, solicitors, removals etc etc and unless something outstanding comes up then we'll try to extend. 

No I get you. Best of luck whatever you decide to do 

• Like 1

We had our first call with a mortgage advisor today. Quite impressed, and made us both feel a lot better about everything. Long road ahead but it's nice to get started! 

Anyone know what Hinckley is like to live in? In our price range we can get some decent looking houses that offer pretty much everything we want, and it is pretty much right in the middle for both of our commutes. I've only ever visited occasionally to do a bit of shopping and it seemed alright.

7 hours ago, Kopic said:

We had our first call with a mortgage advisor today. Quite impressed, and made us both feel a lot better about everything. Long road ahead but it's nice to get started! 

Anyone know what Hinckley is like to live in? In our price range we can get some decent looking houses that offer pretty much everything we want, and it is pretty much right in the middle for both of our commutes. I've only ever visited occasionally to do a bit of shopping and it seemed alright.

Hinckley ain’t too bad. If you can afford it look at somewhere like Stanton / Sapcote as they’re the nicer areas around there

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 19:15, Spudulike said:

Problem we'll run into is one end of the extension is at the front of the house (with windows) so it will disqualify it under permitted development. The other end runs into the RPA (root protection area) so we might have to shorten it buy a couple of metres. That's also the end where the neighbour claims loss of privacy (which is rubbish). 

These restrictive covenants are a big worry. I've written to the neighbour asking her to prove their existence. Perhaps buried in some legal annex or somewhere that I can't find. 

You do have the option of no-dig construction which can assist with the tree issue. 

It might be worth a chat with the planning office about whether the tree is going to be an issue so you can drop in that nugget as a potential option.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kenny said:

You do have the option of no-dig construction which can assist with the tree issue. 

It might be worth a chat with the planning office about whether the tree is going to be an issue so you can drop in that nugget as a potential option.

'no-dig' construction? What's that? Do you mean not using a mechanical digger? 

55 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

'no-dig' construction? What's that? Do you mean not using a mechanical digger? 

Sort of.

It uses a floating raft on screw piles. The only digging is to scrape the topsoil away to allow heave protection to be installed.

So they use a digger to remove 150-200mm and nothing else. This protects the primary roots from damage. The screw piles prevent damage to the roots as they are installed and ensure that no weight is applied to the ground that may 'stress' them. This is usually enough to satisfy the tree officer and their precious RPAs.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kenny said:

Sort of.

It uses a floating raft on screw piles. The only digging is to scrape the topsoil away to allow heave protection to be installed.

So they use a digger to remove 150-200mm and nothing else. This protects the primary roots from damage. The screw piles prevent damage to the roots as they are installed and ensure that no weight is applied to the ground that may 'stress' them. This is usually enough to satisfy the tree officer and their precious RPAs.

That's brilliant. Many thanks for that. 

I've heard nothing back from the planners but that is certainly an angle I'll go for if they start trying to alter the design plans. 

:fc:

23 hours ago, Kopic said:

Hinckley is sound. I would live there, and a lot of my family do live there or thereabouts. 

• Like 2

On 18/05/2021 at 14:24, Kopic said:

A couple of mates live there, good range of amenities, shops and pubs etc. Train to Leicester/Birmingham.

Obviously it depends on your personal preferences, it would be way too busy for me but probably quiet if you're a big city dweller. Ideally, go and have a look around, especially at different times of the day and weekends etc.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 14:24, Kopic said:

Maybe give @inckley fox a shout (assume he’s local)?! 

I grew up round there and still have family in Burbage.

Some nice villages round there, and good transport links. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Trying to get removals companies to get a quote seems to be a headache. 

It appears that they’re all busy! 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

I can tell you who to avoid…. MNM removals was an awful experience 

You will find it tricky to get quotes, just keep phoning round 

If you’ve got a fair amount of stuff insist on a 7.5 ton van

34 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I can tell you who to avoid…. MNM removals was an awful experience 

You will find it tricky to get quotes, just keep phoning round 

If you’ve got a fair amount of stuff insist on a 7.5 ton van

Yes, I’m finding that! 

I think people think moving to a 4 bed to a 6, we’ll have loads of stuff! Some obviously haven’t looked at my sale listing, as we’re minimalistic!