Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Things such as buying one then 6 months later they sell the same house type for less. Snagging issues not getting sorted, extra costs that I haven’t factored in! I’m not sure I am swaying to the new build way. There isn’t much on the market where I am looking anyway. 

I’ll be honest most things with mine got sorted pretty sharpish for example I had about 8 cupboards doors damaged which they sorted.

The worst thing by a mile for me was the garage flooding as they hadn’t actually damp proofed it.

My advice when buying a new build would be to check where the local authority houses have been allocated, we moved to new build in Narborough and surrounded by scruffy cnuts, a smackhead couple and neighbours that like to dump furniture despite there being a tip 5 mins away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogstanley said:

Don't you lose about 20% on a new build the minute you walk in the door? Seems like paying a premium for lot of extra hassle. Nice to have a brand new house I guess.

One on the same estate the same as mine has sold for 45k more than I bought mine for 2 years later, not true.

15 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Well! We have just had our offer accepted! So me and Mrs foxinthebirstallbox will hopefully soon become foxintheansteybox!

Here's the fun part now I've been told, solicitors ect. We don't have a chain and neither does the seller, how long can we expect to wait untill we are all moved in? 

Could be anything mate. I'm hoping to exchange next week and move in first week of March, it's basically chain free (we currently rent and the couple selling have split up and moved out months ago), but we had our offer accepted back in the first week of December. We would have exchanged a month ago if it wasn't for legal confusion as to who's responsibility the path and road immediately outside the property is lol.

One thing I've definitely learnt is get all over your solicitors like a rash as it's the only way to make things progress :ph34r:.

Supposed to be getting the keys to our first home tomorrow after the date being agreed upon by all parties. However our sellers solicitor has gone awol for a few days ignoring all messages, calls and emails even from their own client.

After leaving everybody in the dark for a good few days we've just heard that they're waiting on a 'redemption statement' and have been for 5 days... which is odd as it could be faxed and take minutes.

My advice is be very careful which solicitors you choose, don't just go for the cheapest you find, base your choice on recommendations. Ours have been absolutely fantastic and would recommend them to anybody, just a shame about the others :rolleyes:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Could be anything mate. I'm hoping to exchange next week and move in first week of March, it's basically chain free (we currently rent and the couple selling have split up and moved out months ago), but we had our offer accepted back in the first week of December. We would have exchanged a month ago if it wasn't for legal confusion as to who's responsibility the path and road immediately outside the property is lol.

One thing I've definitely learnt is get all over your solicitors like a rash as it's the only way to make things progress :ph34r:.

We are making pretty steady progress. The home owners are moving to France in the last week of April, so it needs to be wrapped up pretty fast (optimistic I know) 

Offer accepted Tuesday, now we are waiting on solicitors to get back to us for confirmation (we are both using purple bricks recommended solicitors) and we have sent all the paper work off to the bank for mortgage approval

Feels like all I'm doing is making phone calls! 

• 1 month later...

anyone have any experience in kitting out a new home with flooring? Including underlay and fitting etc. I am getting a new build and now trying to work out whether it is worth going with them to include flooring or not. I would pay them slightly,over the odds cos of convenience. 

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

anyone have any experience in kitting out a new home with flooring? Including underlay and fitting etc. I am getting a new build and now trying to work out whether it is worth going with them to include flooring or not. I would pay them slightly,over the odds cos of convenience. 

If you shop around you'll definitely find it cheaper appointing a contractor directly because you're cutting out the middle man and the profit that they make. If you get it as part of the house you probably have more recourse if something is faulty, but flooring isn't that complicated.

I guess it depends on what materials you are looking at and how much extra you will end up paying just to have it done before you arrive.

I would do some research yourself and try and work out what is necessary so you know what you are asking/paying for. Knowing what comes as standard for all houses and how the finish you want relates to that standard could have a big impact on the requirements you need and what you end up paying for.

Edited by ajthefox

10 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Yep, was the same cost to do one room as it was for us to arrange for the whole house to be done.

On 08/02/2018 at 10:58, deejdeej said:

Supposed to be getting the keys to our first home tomorrow after the date being agreed upon by all parties. However our sellers solicitor has gone awol for a few days ignoring all messages, calls and emails even from their own client.

After leaving everybody in the dark for a good few days we've just heard that they're waiting on a 'redemption statement' and have been for 5 days... which is odd as it could be faxed and take minutes.

My advice is be very careful which solicitors you choose, don't just go for the cheapest you find, base your choice on recommendations. Ours have been absolutely fantastic and would recommend them to anybody, just a shame about the others :rolleyes:

Agree with this. I once gave my solicitor 4/5 days to get a house purchase through for me. Searches, contracts, exchange and complete all sorted. It just showed me how easy these things can be done, if everybody wanted it happen.

On 08/02/2018 at 08:36, Rogstanley said:

Don't you lose about 20% on a new build the minute you walk in the door? Seems like paying a premium for lot of extra hassle. Nice to have a brand new house I guess.

You can do, but you could also gain 20%. Nothing to do with new houses, purely to do with market conditions, demand etc 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2018 at 08:36, Rogstanley said:

Current market says that's not the case anymore.

We've been in just over 3 years and when we came to the end of our fixed rate we looked at our options and our house was valued at 80k more than we paid. As we had to put 20% deposit down we now have equity worth more than our old house. Told the wife we should sell downsize and be mortgage free lol she didn't agree.

1 of our neighbours who's house cost him 350k has just got 400k and he' only been in about 2 years.

Edited by Bayfox

On 10.3.2018 at 23:27, Unabomber said:

I can only recommend...do It yourself. Ensure the Base flooring,(plates)has been correctly finished,to expected

standards.

Take If on,it will be fun,and make you proud,that you Put in something,towards 'YOUR'  Home.

Edited by fuchsntf

I’ve had 3 new builds and snagging aside, your house comes with an NHBC warranty and if you go with a decent builder, who use good sub contractors, you’ll be okay.

The issue for most, will be that they don’t work in construction. So have no idea if it’s been built by a decent company.

My experience tells me that I’ve had less hassle with new builds, than I have had with older properties. Settling aside, which leaves cracks etc, if you get an unforeseen issue, my house builder sorts it out. They’ve even done me favours like extra slabs, upgraded tiling, sinks etc from site. Generally, personal taste aside, you don’t need to do anything. 

Move into an older house, whatever issues you have, you’re paying for them.  

I’ve not lost money on any house I’ve purchased, however, the market price is relative. Based on my experience, all Estate agents do is look around your property, then pitch it for similar properties that were recently sold within a 5 mile radius. It’s not really rocket science that! I’d never spend £000’s upgrading a house as its still got a price ceiling based on the post code. 

• Like 1