Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2017 at 20:52, Realist Guy In The Room said:

You couldn’t have inherited a property either apparently.  

On 11/23/2017 at 21:00, Strokes said:

What about a joint mortgage application where one person has owned but the other hasn’t?

Just to add what I hope might be useful information, I'm going through this at the moment as me and the missus near completion on a "first time" purchase.

However, we're having to pay stamp duty because I inherited a 12% stake in a recent relatives property. Had that stake been worth £40k or more, as the property is still occupied, I would have to pay the higher rate of stamp duty too, despite being able to prove I clearly won't ever live in the property and am clearly a first time buyer.

I can see people getting caught out by this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Currently looking at potentially moving. I am considering a new build does anyone have any experience with particular house builders? The options I have atm are Bellway, Miller and Davidson’s.

I’ve worked for Davidson’s homes before and they are, the best I’ve worked for, in terms of quality of materials and finish. I’ve not worked for the other two but I doubt they’re as good.

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve worked for Davidson’s homes before and they are, the best I’ve worked for, in terms of quality of materials and finish. I’ve not worked for the other two but I doubt they’re as good.

I sell to the national house builders so am aware to an extent on the quality each build to. Davidson’s will be by far the best out of the three I mentioned, it’s just that fact is reflected in the prices. I viewed one earlier and you could sense the quality. I’d be interested in people’s experience with buying a new build.

Edited by Unabomber

Just now, Unabomber said:

I sell to the national house builders do am aware to an extent on the quality each build up. Davidson’s will be by far the best out of the three I mentioned, it’s just that fact is reflected in the prices. I viewed one earlier and you could sense the quality. I’d be interested in people’s experience with buying a new build.

Fair enough, I don’t know much about that unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I sell to the national house builders so am aware to an extent on the quality each build to. Davidson’s will be by far the best out of the three I mentioned, it’s just that fact is reflected in the prices. I viewed one earlier and you could sense the quality. I’d be interested in people’s experience with buying a new build.

I bought one with Redrow 2 years ago and as long as you are prepared to have issues and trust the builder to put it right you will be ok.

A few tips- When you reserve the house they will give you a tight deadline to exchange contracts so be prepared for this.

Check with the neighbours (if you have any yet) what issues they have had. A key one on my estate is drainage on the gardens.

If you buy late on in the development you could find issues a little bit more difficult to rectify if they have gone over budget on  earlier houses.

Do your research around internet. We are probably a minimum of two years away from having broadband over 2mbps because the builders didn’t allow cables to be put down.

46 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

We are just over 2 years into our new build, built by countryside properties.  Go into it with your eyes open and you will be fine.

- you will have a lot of snagging, this is standard

- workmen will fail to turn up, so if you both work and have to take time off to be in, this will drive you mad.  Seriously think about this point.

- things promised in your development; schools, go surgeries, playgrounds, shops, pubs etc are NOT guaranteed, and may not happen.

- the roads are often not surfaced until everything is finished

- the show home is not what you get. You need to buy every light fitting, blind, curtain rail, curtain, coat hook, toilet roll holder, towel rail etc - this costs hundreds of pounds.

if you are prepared for this it can be great!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We are just over 2 years into our new build, built by countryside properties.  Go into it with your eyes open and you will be fine.

- workmen will fail to turn up, so if you both work and have to take time off to be in, this will drive you mad.  Seriously think about this point.

- things promised in your development; schools, go surgeries, playgrounds, shops, pubs etc are NOT guaranteed, and may not happen.

- the show home is not what you get. You need to buy every light fitting, blind, curtain rail, curtain, coat hook, toilet roll holder, towel rail etc - this costs hundreds of pounds.

Depends on the builder re buying everything. My house had a lot of that stuff included.

My garden wasn’t turfed though but I guess this was to do with the issues they had with drainage.

Edit- I say a lot, things like towel rails were included but some of the other bits weren’t. Carpet and tiles cost me a fortune!

Edited by Costock_Fox

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:10, Jon the Hat said:

I still can't quite get my head around why David Wilson, and others, charge way over the odds for their houses and then go about installing white plastic coated towel rails when you can pick up a chrome effort for 50 quid.

1 minute ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Well! We have just had our offer accepted! So me and Mrs foxinthebirstallbox will hopefully soon become foxintheansteybox!

Here's the fun part now I've been told, solicitors ect. We don't have a chain and neither does the seller, how long can we expect to wait untill we are all moved in? 

Mine didn't have a chain either, took about 12 weeks from offer accepted to moving in. That was in November so could be quieter/busier this time of year I dunno. 

36 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Well! We have just had our offer accepted! So me and Mrs foxinthebirstallbox will hopefully soon become foxintheansteybox!

Here's the fun part now I've been told, solicitors ect. We don't have a chain and neither does the seller, how long can we expect to wait untill we are all moved in? 

Its took us over 4 months.

On 04/02/2018 at 21:01, Costock_Fox said:

I bought one with Redrow 2 years ago and as long as you are prepared to have issues and trust the builder to put it right you will be ok.

A few tips- When you reserve the house they will give you a tight deadline to exchange contracts so be prepared for this.

Check with the neighbours (if you have any yet) what issues they have had. A key one on my estate is drainage on the gardens.

If you buy late on in the development you could find issues a little bit more difficult to rectify if they have gone over budget on  earlier houses.

Do your research around internet. We are probably a minimum of two years away from having broadband over 2mbps because the builders didn’t allow cables to be put down.

https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/news/article/128/leading-housebuilder-to-boost-broadband-for-3000-homes-in-co-funding-deal-with-openreach

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2018 at 22:16, Costock_Fox said:

Depends on the builder re buying everything. My house had a lot of that stuff included.

My garden wasn’t turfed though but I guess this was to do with the issues they had with drainage.

Edit- I say a lot, things like towel rails were included but some of the other bits weren’t. Carpet and tiles cost me a fortune!

We had flooring!  As you say it varies.

1 hour ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

Cheers, I’m aware of this but I think this is their Hamilton site. I think as an estate we need to approach the builder and try to get this sorted.

Thanks for the link though.

54 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I think Davidsons provide front and rear turf and all kitchen appliances which is good. No flooring though, however as it is a new build all flooring bought externally will be VAT free. Still concerned about getting a new build...

What concerns you mate? I went from a house built in 1850s to a new build. I really like both but miss my open fire.

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Cheers, I’m aware of this but I think this is their Hamilton site. I think as an estate we need to approach the builder and try to get this sorted.

Thanks for the link though.

All existing sites they built are to be covered im told and if not tell them you will take to Facebook and Twitter to complain. 

we are buying one of the Hamilton ones 

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

What concerns you mate? I went from a house built in 1850s to a new build. I really like both but miss my open fire.

Things such as buying one then 6 months later they sell the same house type for less. Snagging issues not getting sorted, extra costs that I haven’t factored in! I’m not sure but I am swaying to the new build way. There isn’t much on the market where I am looking anyway. 

Edited by Unabomber

1 minute ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

All existing sites they built are to be covered im told and if not tell them you will take to Facebook and Twitter to complain. 

we are buying one of the Hamilton ones 

Really? That’s interesting. Where have you heard that?

Nice, lovely houses but Redrows service is shite. Is the salesman called Az?