Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Next up... Barcelona

They didn't look very impressive against Celtic.

Watching PSG perform so far, and how they took Real Madrid completely apart (Should have been more than 4), I wasn't surprised at todays result.

People need to lower their expectations imo. We are not a 'top' English club, so why are people expecting us to compete with the 'European elite'?

Next game in building towards August 13th and Hull City, our first real game although a CS win would be nice. That's the way to view the Barca game. 

Look at what has worked and hasn't to date although only really two games under our belt ignoring Oxford United. So, who is the other RB? Try Hernandez again or give Amartey another go. For me, the former although CB will be his position in the team eventually.

Midfield is the biggest issue. Mendy is not a like for like Kante replacement. Looking at Nice footage,  his distribution is his strength.  How can we develop that in our team. Need to give Musa a start and some time with Vardy. Gray to start as well.

In essence looking at some combinations and increasing game time for some key players.

And a win of course!;)

Win needed against this lot in this non competitive kick about or it's a clear sign that we'll struggle in the league against sides they regularly beat in the CL, and also means we'll clearly lose against Hull in a couple of weeks and struggle against the likes of WBA and Burnley throughout the season.

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

If we don't win I think serious questions need to be asked about Ranieri's job prospects 

Yeah but who appointed him? The owners.

If we lose then they need to go, its as simple as that.

Want to see an improved performance, and a much more intense press ahead of the Community Shield. It doesn't matter if it's a friendly or against the best team in the world, we don't want to be going in to a game vs Manchester United, competiting for our first cup competition silverware in 16 years with a lacklustre loss to PSG and a poor performance vs Barca. 

1 hour ago, Grewks said:

They didn't look very impressive against Celtic.

Watching PSG perform so far, and how they took Real Madrid completely apart (Should have been more than 4), I wasn't surprised at todays result.

People need to lower their expectations imo. We are not a 'top' English club, so why are people expecting us to compete with the 'European elite'?

We've neither competed nor failed to compete because it wasn't a competitive match. It was a friendly which five of our first team began, and there will be big changes before the new season - Vardy back, new arrivals etc. But people will naturally expect us to compete with the European elite when it comes to it, even if we come off second best, because we are the 'top' English club. Unless you're one of those who'd put that down to luck, of course. And even if you don't expect us to compete, it would be madness for any club which had just won a title to adopt that same mentality.

1 hour ago, Grewks said:

eople need to lower their expectations imo. We are not a 'top' English club, so why are people expecting us to compete with the 'European elite'?

No, we're not. We are the top English club, by 10 points.

2 minutes ago, Grewks said:

Ranieri will continue 'Operation reduce expectations' here. 3-1 Barca.

What happens if we win?

If Zieler plays in goal for the full game, then a 2-0 win is my prediction.

Guest CityFan 06

It's all experience for the squad, as was the defeat to PSG. Playing against teams such as PSG & Barcelona will give us a real taster of what CL football is like. Despite whatever the result might be, Claudio and staff will be given pointers on shape, positioning, personnel and how to get the most out of these sorts of games in the actual CL competition. 

Sure it would be nice to see a positive result, but I still think it could be key ingredients of experience into the making of our Champions League campaign. Being in the atmosphere alongside some of the world's best will be great for our lads.

Just don't bother playing Mendy in a two and Okazaki & Ulloa together then see how we get on. 

Musa needs to play a full 90

Amartey needs to play one half at RB and the other CM

Those are the only two things that we must do in this game in my opinion. 

A 4-0 loss today sent this forum into meltdown, some of the comments were embarrassing. We need to learn from today, set up better & simply take our chances. It's hard to not think after today that we could be in for a battering but with Leicester, anything can happen. 

The worry is that kante's gone, but we're still playing like he's in the team. Mendy is no Kante and playing a 442 with Mendy and another CM against Barcelona is going to result in another pummelling. Claudio's spoken of having a plan B and C and i'd like to see some evidence of this against Barca.

Also like to see Fuchs & Simpson start to give us some defensive shape, because friendly or no friendly, morale will be hit if we suffer another 4+ goal loss.

It's only about getting some match sharpness. 

however, mendy does need to be worked into the team so giving him some more game time with drinks will probably happen

Claudio may well tinker with the formation 

this is Lincoln away - it's just that they are in blue/red stripes and play like barca! 

Archived