Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

Hey everyone I'm looking into getting a switch, I just wondered if it's worth it? Cause that there can be issues with the joycons? Would having a wireless controller with the switch solve that? I'd be looking at playing Pokemon, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and FM mainly. Would also welcome recommendations of games too if I was to get a switch. Thanks everyone!

50 minutes ago, sharpylcfc said:

Hey everyone I'm looking into getting a switch, I just wondered if it's worth it? Cause that there can be issues with the joycons? Would having a wireless controller with the switch solve that? I'd be looking at playing Pokemon, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and FM mainly. Would also welcome recommendations of games too if I was to get a switch. Thanks everyone!

Think Nintendo now fix issues with the controllers for free. And it's quite simple and fairly cheap to fix them yourself too. Apparently the joycons that come with the new Zelda game have been adapted so they won't get the drift too, so maybe they'll be worth picking up if you plan on getting the Zelda game. 

Or you can pick up a controller too, I picked up a wireless game cube one for the switch to use with smash and it's great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Think Nintendo now fix issues with the controllers for free. And it's quite simple and fairly cheap to fix them yourself too. Apparently the joycons that come with the new Zelda game have been adapted so they won't get the drift too, so maybe they'll be worth picking up if you plan on getting the Zelda game. 

Or you can pick up a controller too, I picked up a wireless game cube one for the switch to use with smash and it's great. 

Thank you very much for the reply mate I really appreciate it! I've never actually played the Zelda games but it's definitely a game I want to try so I'll probably get it to get the joycons too. Sorry for all the questions but I have another. Is it worth waiting for the Switch OLED that comes out October 8th?

4 minutes ago, sharpylcfc said:

Thank you very much for the reply mate I really appreciate it! I've never actually played the Zelda games but it's definitely a game I want to try so I'll probably get it to get the joycons too. Sorry for all the questions but I have another. Is it worth waiting for the Switch OLED that comes out October 8th?

Imo not really. But that could be because I have a switch already so the "upgrade" seems lacklustre, but I suppose if you don't have a switch yet and don't mind waiting a month to get one then it can't hurt I guess? If you plan on playing in handheld mode then it's probably worth waiting for since it has a slighter bigger screen on top of the OLED screen quality. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Imo not really. But that could be because I have a switch already so the "upgrade" seems lacklustre, but I suppose if you don't have a switch yet and don't mind waiting a month to get one then it can't hurt I guess? If you plan on playing in handheld mode then it's probably worth waiting for since it has a slighter bigger screen on top of the OLED screen quality. 

Thank you for that mate!!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/09/rumour_insider_says_n64_is_coming_to_switch_online_believes_it_will_introduce_a_higher-priced_subscription_tier

Thoughts on this rumour? I'd pay whatever it'd cost to get access to N64 games online on the Switch. I know this is the nostalgia talking, but that console holds a special place in my heart. The thought of playing MK64, OG Smash Bros, Mario Party, F-ZERO X, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding etc. online. Wow. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/09/rumour_insider_says_n64_is_coming_to_switch_online_believes_it_will_introduce_a_higher-priced_subscription_tier

Thoughts on this rumour? I'd pay whatever it'd cost to get access to N64 games online on the Switch. I know this is the nostalgia talking, but that console holds a special place in my heart. The thought of playing MK64, OG Smash Bros, Mario Party, F-ZERO X, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding etc. online. Wow. 

If we could play those games online against other people that would be super. I doubt it will happen though. It would hamper new sales. There’s a new Mario Party coming out soon for starters.

Edited by Oswinner

I think the N64/megadrive games being added to the online plan might be the highlight for me - I'll be getting that if the price increase isn't too bad. Laughed at the sizzle reel for the N64 at the beginning when Project Winback guy shows up and looks like he's lost, like he's accidentally stealthed his way into a game lineup he shouldn't be in lol Didn't Sega recently announce new fancy ports of the Megadrive Sonic games including Sonic 2, and yet here they are, adding Sonic 2 to NSO to go with the version they've released in the Mega Drive collection and the Sega Ages release. I'm going to have 4 versions of it kicking about on my Switch at this rate!

Notice they snuck Banjo Kazooie into the "coming in the future" N64 list as well, which is exciting, as it means they must have some form of agreement with Rare and Microsoft for that, which surely opens the door to other Rare stuff, like DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo 2, or Perfect Dark. Guess we've got no chance of Conker (for his filthy antics) or Goldeneye (due to licensing)

53 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Nintendo Direct

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak DLC - Summer 2022

Mario Party Superstars Update - 29th October 2021

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars - 28th October 2021

Disco Elysium The Final Cut - 12th October 2021

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Expansion Pass - Wave 1 Out Now, Wave 2 29th October 2021

Chocobo GP - 2022

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Final DLC announcement - Airing 5th October 2021

Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Spring 2022

Animal Crossing Direct - Airing October 2021, content available November 2021

Mario Golf Super Rush Free Update - Available Now

Disney Magical World 2 - December 2021

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - 11th November 2021

Dying Light 2 Stay Human Cloud Version - 4th February 2022

Triangle Strategy - 4th March 2022

Metroid Dread - 8th October 2021

Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack which includes Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis Games - Releasing late October 2021, more details later

N64 and Sega Genesis Controllers (£39.99 each)

Shadowrun Trilogy - 2022

Castlevania Advance Collection - Available Now

Actraiser Renaissance Remastered - Available Now

Deltarune Chapters 1 & 2 - Available Now

Hot Wheels Unleashed - 30th Seoptember 2021

Surviving the Aftermath - Winter 2021

Shin Megami Tensei V - 12th November 2021

Wreckfest - Autumn 2021

Arcade Archive Pac-Man and XEVIOUS - Available Now

Rune Factory 5 - 25th March 2022

Mario Movie - 21st December 2022 (North America) - Chris Pratt is Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy is Princess Peach, Charlie Day is Luigi, Jack Black is Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key is Toad, Seth Rogan is Donkey Kong, Charles Martinet (voice of Mario in games) will cameo

Splatoon 3 - TBA

Bayonetta 3 - 2022

My eye is immediately drawn to the Metroidvania smorgasbord here.  4 oldschool Castlevanias with Metroid dread much closer to release than I realised.  Only problem is I've just started getting my teeth into ME Legendary and I've recently installed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night from last month's Humble Bundle so my gaming time is very much accounted for already!

Triangle Strategy also looks really interesting as an RPG and strategy fan.  I'm also very excited for any switch user who hasn't already had a chance to play the Shadowrun trilogy on PC, brilliant series of games for anybody into that style of gameplay.

Doesn't appear to have been mentioned there but let's not forget there's an Advance Wars 1+2 remake coming very soon too.  Exciting times for my strategy bros.

On 16/09/2021 at 08:13, VinceNoir said:

Agreed great console I remember my dad got one from Japan when it first got released way back when before it was available over here. it was awesome.

007 Goldeneye was a classic on that as well

Edited by whoareyaaa

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2021 at 19:49, silebyboy said:

Anyone interest in the upcoming online expansion pack + or whatever it’s called? I was until I saw the cost of it today and now I’m not going to bother as it’s way too expensive for what it is. 

The price is ridiculous and it’s dodgy as **** that you’re forced into buying the Animal Crossing DLC. Can’t believe how out of touch they can be sometimes. 

I will of course be subscribing.

40 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

The price is ridiculous and it’s dodgy as **** that you’re forced into buying the Animal Crossing DLC. Can’t believe how out of touch they can be sometimes. 

I will of course be subscribing.

You aren’t forced to buy it? It just comes as part of the subscription 

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

You aren’t forced to buy it? It just comes as part of the subscription 

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. What I meant was that it’s disappointing that there’s no option to subscribe just to the N64 and Sega games, because that’s how they framed the expansion pack at the Direct a few weeks ago. Had they announced that it’d include other DLC options and whatnot, the significant price increase wouldn’t have been such of a letdown. It all boils down to their communication. 

I’ve no interest in the Animal Crossing DLC. I know it’s not a one-off thing and that they’ll probably add more DLC content and other content for expansion pack subscribers along the line, but from their communication at the Direct, I was fully expecting just a small price to cover N64 and Genesis, perhaps with GameBoy and others to be added along the line. When you’re in that mindset, going from $20 to $50 feels really steep - even if the entire package in reality is decent value (I think you’re essentially paying an additional $5 if AC DLC is valued at $25.) 

Hope this makes sense. I’ve had about 3 hours sleep and I haven’t bothered to read any of it back.

4 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. What I meant was that it’s disappointing that there’s no option to subscribe just to the N64 and Sega games, because that’s how they framed the expansion pack at the Direct a few weeks ago. Had they announced that it’d include other DLC options and whatnot, the significant price increase wouldn’t have been such of a letdown. It all boils down to their communication. 

I’ve no interest in the Animal Crossing DLC. I know it’s not a one-off thing and that they’ll probably add more DLC content and other content for expansion pack subscribers along the line, but from their communication at the Direct, I was fully expecting just a small price to cover N64 and Genesis, perhaps with GameBoy and others to be added along the line. When you’re in that mindset, going from $20 to $50 feels really steep - even if the entire package in reality is decent value (I think you’re essentially paying an additional $5 if AC DLC is valued at $25.) 

Hope this makes sense. I’ve had about 3 hours sleep and I haven’t bothered to read any of it back.

I don't think it's that bad tbh, £35 for a year, or rather an extra £17 on top of previous membership, to have access to all the N64 and genesis titles they release isn't too bad a deal imo.  That's only a few quid a month

They've tried it both ways, the problem with Nintendo is they've always overpriced previous iterations of the Virtual console, to the point where it just wasn't worth it. They were trying to flog SNES games for £8 a pop previously, and N64 stuff would be a tenner as well. At least this way, we get a nice library where you can try out stuff you might not have played before, whereas if it's a tenner a go, the you end up with Ocarina, Super Mario 64 and Majora's Mask, and leave it at that because it's not worth flinging 100 clams at them to get a nice selection on the go.

EDIT: Actually, since they've killed off the Virtual Console, third parties like Sega, Capcom, Konami and others have put out quite a lot of decent retro collections, and there is the Arcade Archives releases which are sometimes worth picking up on sale as well, so strangely enough, despite the fact the Virtual Console is gone, I've ended up owning a lot more retro games at a decent price than I have on previous Nintendo consoles, which somewhat lessens the impact of the Nintendo subscriptions, as you only need them if you are after Nintendo's own stuff.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Metroid Dread is cracking, has consumed my evenings for the last week.

Edited by orangecity23
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Got my missus Metroid Dread, arrived this morning. I'll have a blast myself over the next few days and report back. 

It’s excellent! Never played a Metroid game before but I’m well into it. I’d say I’m about halfway through.