Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

Already got Skyward Sword on the Wii so the price is not worth it for me. It was the first 3D Zelda I never finished. Not through lack of enjoyment though but through breaking my wrist when I was halfway thru. Never got back into it.

I’m having a bit of a Wii renaissance atm as I’m playing through DKC Returns (and bloody loving it btw) so may boot up Skyward Sword once I’ve finished that.

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Is there anything that’s come out recently that I can play to keep me occupied whilst isolating? Completely lost interest in my switch this year and have barely touched it or kept in the loop with new games 

Well we've just been talking about one:  Skyward Sword HD.

Mario Golf isn't long out, no idea if it's any good though..

It's not new but Dragon's Dogma is a great time-sink RPG that always seems to get overlooked, you can get the complete edition on Switch for £25.

And of course there's like a million new indie games each month.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Anybody in here jumped on the Unite train?  Get into it now so you have a bit of time to enjoy it before p2w ruins it.

I think I'm sort of enjoying it. The gameplay itself is okay and with all the pokemon available to use as characters it could become massive. It just seems a little meh overall though. 10 minute games sound fun in theory, but in reality they are over too quick so the game has very little depth. Farm up, slap zapdos, gg thx for playing. 

I know they have to aim it towards kids, but just feels like it could have been so much more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clocked Skyward Sword HD last night. Took around 40 hours in total.

I think I played it once on the Wii, but I don't remember it much. Here are my thoughts, starting with the positives. Quite a few intricate, brilliant dungeons, something I sorely missed in BOTW. Boss fights were another thing I missed in BOTW, and some of Skyward Sword's bosses were epic. Kokloktos is up there with my favourite bosses in the series, and the final boss was good as well. I liked the new weapons - the beetle was cool, so too was the windblower thing. I particularly enjoyed that it moved away from the standard Zelda formula of "find new item midway through dungeon and use it for the rest of the dungeon and vs the boss". It made it a lot more interesting and in some cases, it even offered multiple ways of getting through certain areas.

Now to the negatives. It's just so linear. Maybe I got used to the freedom of BOTW, but man, this feels way more linear than even Ocarina, TP and others. I think it's cos the main areas are so disconnected. If you were able to go from, say, Faron Woods directly to Eldin Volcano, it would feel like a much vaster world. And the areas are just dull - especially the sky, in which about 2 in 40 little, floating islands are actually worth visiting. There's nothing remotely interesting in any of these areas. Come the end of the game, and I had to go to the same area again to fight the same boss for the THIRD time, god, it just felt like a chore and I honestly considered stopping several times.

Then, there's the fact that the entire game is a massive collectathon. All the trials, the little things you have to find to progress. Talk to this guy, he tells you to talk to this guy, this guy says you must collect 3 of whatever to progress. It becomes so tedious. And don't get me started on the trials (seriously, fvck the tadtone trial.)

Finally, the lack of a warp option between bird statues? One time I had to collect something (surprise!) in the volcano region, so I descended into an area, quickly found out that I should've descended into a different part of the volcano, but instead of just hitting the map and selecting fast travel, I had to travel to the sky, fly back through the hole in the cloud again, and descend into a different area. It's ridiculous that fast travel was an exclusive amiibo feature. 

That pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the positives, so despite some brilliant dungeons and boss fights, I can't rate it higher than 6/10. I haven't played all the Zelda games, but on my list, I'd rank this one somewhere between 7th and 10th. 

Better get back to work now ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

After playing for a few days and seeing the other games it has to offer this beats Xbox and Playstation hands down imo, great machine!

Not sure I'd go that far, it's definitely the inferior machine performance-wise and could really do with more powerful processing for a lot of games, it's a bit embarrassing that games like Ori or Hollow Knight often lag on it for instance.  But as a fan of Nintendo games who has a decent PC for anything else I agree it's a great investment, especially now they've become much more 3rd party friendly so you can pick up all the great indie titles like Wargroove and Cuphead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Links Awakening or Breath of Wild first?

How familiar are you with Zelda games? And how much time do you have on your hands? :) 

LA is a classic Zelda game and the remake is just delightful. But it’s a 20 hour game, so you could realistically finish it in a week. BOTW, on the other hand, is more open world, leaning away from the Zelda formula and thus it’s quite divisive among fans of the series. For me, it’s still a brilliant game, but prepare yourself for a huge adventure. I think I spent 200 hours on before putting it down. 

If you’re not familiar with Zelda, I’d go for Link’s Awakening (or maybe even Skyward Sword), and if you really like it, BOTW is the next step. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

LA is a classic Zelda game and the remake is just delightful. But it’s a 20 hour game, so you could realistically finish it in a week.

...you say that, but when I was 6 and was playing the original Gameboy version, I spent hours wandering around aimlessly without a sword before I figured out you are supposed to push the spiky beach obstacles out of the way with a shield at the start of the game lol 

This was of course before the internet, and if you wanted to get help from the Nintendo Hotline it cost about £1 per minute

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

...you say that, but when I was 6 and was playing the original Gameboy version, I spent hours wandering around aimlessly without a sword before I figured out you are supposed to push the spiky beach obstacles out of the way with a shield at the start of the game lol 

This was of course before the internet, and if you wanted to get help from the Nintendo Hotline it cost about £1 per minute

I had a tantrum on Ocarina of Time as a child when Mido wouldn't let me see the Great Deku Tree because i didn't know where the sword was.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I had a tantrum on Ocarina of Time as a child when Mido wouldn't let me see the Great Deku Tree because i didn't know where the sword was.

Bit off topic, but I reckon 97% of people back in the day spent a good few evenings stuck here on Sonic 3 before finding out by accident what the hell you were meant to do

BOTW is shit go for Links Awakening 

Well, its not shit, but ive said many times the reasons why i wasnt a big fan. Its basically what Vincenoir has said. If you have the time then go for BOTW. Its graphically stunning but because it goes away from the traditional formula i wasnt a big fan. Bosses are awful but the shrines are good. 

I enjoyed Links Awakening but completed it really quickly as i stupidly played the original like a month before the remake came out. So i knew what to do. If you havent played the original then that will be a great game to get stuck into.

Skyward Sword is another decent enough Zelda game

19 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Am I living in upside-down world? Imagine going through life with opinions this wrong.

Im very much a lover of the Zelda formula. I guess the hype of BOTW and the excitement i had to play it to then finally get my hands on it and, though a beautiful game, it ventured too far away from the formula for me to enjoy it. Number 1 thing for me in any Zelda game are memorable boss fights, its what makes the nostalgia of OoT, Majora's mask, Twilight Princess (my fave) and Skyward Sword amazing. BOTW bosses were beyond dreadful. Nothing else the game provided, however good it was, took my mindset away from the fact the bosses were awful. The Ganon final battle was the worst of the lot. I think that's what tipped me over the edge in thinking nope don't like it.

14 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Im very much a lover of the Zelda formula. I guess the hype of BOTW and the excitement i had to play it to then finally get my hands on it and, though a beautiful game, it ventured too far away from the formula for me to enjoy it. Number 1 thing for me in any Zelda game are memorable boss fights, its what makes the nostalgia of OoT, Majora's mask, Twilight Princess (my fave) and Skyward Sword amazing. BOTW bosses were beyond dreadful. Nothing else the game provided, however good it was, took my mindset away from the fact the bosses were awful. The Ganon final battle was the worst of the lot. I think that's what tipped me over the edge in thinking nope don't like it.

you're right. Nothing like the good boss design of hit the little eyes three times then hit the main eye three times.

• Haha 3