Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

Funny to see your criticism in here. 

I love my Switch. It has almost all the best indie titles combined with a bit of Nintendo magic now and again. Thats a perfect combo for me. And I can even play it on the commute, in bed and not to forget on the flippin toilet. 

But as always. Play what you want to play and if you do not like what Nintendo is offering, then fair enough.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 10:35, kingcarr21 said:

Everyone was expecting a 3 in 1 remaster of Zelda to celebrate the 35th anniversary. So very underwhelmed with Skyward sword. Although a decent game in itself I just don't think it will ever be the same without the Wii remote and Nun-Chuck. 

I sold my Switch a few weeks ago to put money towards my house fund. With the view to buy it again in the months to come. I honestly dont think ill bother. BOTW2 i couldnt care less about. I am a massive Zelda fan but BOTW was just not a Zelda game imo. I see we are still waiting for Metroid Prime 4 news. 

Christoph i think has nailed it with his Start, Middle and End description. I reckon an updated console will come out when MP4 finally comes around.

Nintendo really could nail it. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube Virtual consoles to download the whole library would be quite something. But that would leave them with nowhere to go moving forward as they just rely on the older games too much, so will never happen. Imagine having the whole Nintendo library in the palm of your hand without the need for 2nd rate emulators with piss poor controls.

Now I’ve put 30+ Hours into Breath of the Wild, as a massive Zelda fan, all I can say is, it’s a massive disappointment.

Started out really excited by it all. You can go anywhere and explore. Hyrule has never looked better. But the combat...I end up running away from every enemy. Weapons break far too easily and it is really not fun because of this. I wouldn’t mind a weapon durability system, if all the weapons weren’t made of glass. Ruins the game for me.

• Like 2

BOTW's main problem is that it doesn't feel like a true Zelda game. I had a great time with the game during my first playthrough. I really enjoyed exploring and activating all the towers, searching for shrines etc. But the weapon durability, the lack of proper dungeons, the amount of "A major test of strength" shrines and so on just bugged me. I did end up finding all the shrines, but it became a chore towards the end. I got it on launch day - 4 years to the day, incidentally - and I stopped playing a few months later. I've tried to replay it, but now that I know the world and the shrines, it just doesn't suck me in like other Zelda games do. 

I'm quite confident that the sequel will address some of these things. With Skyward Sword, they took a step away from the traditional Zelda formula. It was refreshing, but ultimately ended up being a poor execution. And with BOTW, they took an even bigger step away from a formula that Zelda fans knew and loved. I trust that Nintendo will get it right, and maybe go back to basics. I don't care that the weapon I pick up in a dungeon essentially is the weapon I need to defeat said dungeon's boss. Just make the dungeon interesting enough and that formula isn't a problem. Some of my favourite Zelda memories are entering a captivating dungeon, knowing that you'll have a good hour or two puzzle-solving and exploring. Oh yeah, do something about weapon durability as well. 

Regarding the 35th anniversary, I read an interesting article somewhere which said that announcing anything else now would totally cannibalise Skyward Sword HD. It makes sense to me. Apparently, they didn't acknowledge the 25th anniversary until the summer of 2011 as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another trailer for BOTW2 after the release of SSHD. And hopefully a collection. I just want Ocarina of Time on the Switch and I'm the kind of idiot who would happily pay 50 quid for an N64 port. And why not port the HD versions of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as well. 

For the record, my favourite game on the switch is Super Mario Odyssey. It's just a sheer delight. Try it if you haven't already done so :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VinceNoir said:

BOTW's main problem is that it doesn't feel like a true Zelda game. I had a great time with the game during my first playthrough. I really enjoyed exploring and activating all the towers, searching for shrines etc. But the weapon durability, the lack of proper dungeons, the amount of "A major test of strength" shrines and so on just bugged me. I did end up finding all the shrines, but it became a chore towards the end. I got it on launch day - 4 years to the day, incidentally - and I stopped playing a few months later. I've tried to replay it, but now that I know the world and the shrines, it just doesn't suck me in like other Zelda games do. 

I'm quite confident that the sequel will address some of these things. With Skyward Sword, they took a step away from the traditional Zelda formula. It was refreshing, but ultimately ended up being a poor execution. And with BOTW, they took an even bigger step away from a formula that Zelda fans knew and loved. I trust that Nintendo will get it right, and maybe go back to basics. I don't care that the weapon I pick up in a dungeon essentially is the weapon I need to defeat said dungeon's boss. Just make the dungeon interesting enough and that formula isn't a problem. Some of my favourite Zelda memories are entering a captivating dungeon, knowing that you'll have a good hour or two puzzle-solving and exploring. Oh yeah, do something about weapon durability as well. 

Regarding the 35th anniversary, I read an interesting article somewhere which said that announcing anything else now would totally cannibalise Skyward Sword HD. It makes sense to me. Apparently, they didn't acknowledge the 25th anniversary until the summer of 2011 as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another trailer for BOTW2 after the release of SSHD. And hopefully a collection. I just want Ocarina of Time on the Switch and I'm the kind of idiot who would happily pay 50 quid for an N64 port. And why not port the HD versions of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as well. 

For the record, my favourite game on the switch is Super Mario Odyssey. It's just a sheer delight. Try it if you haven't already done so :)

I second Mario Odyssey. I couldn't put it down until i completed 100%. Absolutely brilliant. 

I still love replaying classic Zelda games and even though i know how to do the dungeons it never feels like a chore to do them.

The Spirit temple in OoT is a personal favourite along with the Mansion in Twilight Princess.

I still remember the water temple in OoT and being stuck for ages. Until i realised there was a block behind the treasure chest after defeating Shadow Link to remove with the Ocarina. The joy i got as a kid when figuring out puzzles without anyones help lol 

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I second Mario Odyssey. I couldn't put it down until i completed 100%. Absolutely brilliant. 

I still love replaying classic Zelda games and even though i know how to do the dungeons it never feels like a chore to do them.

The Spirit temple in OoT is a personal favourite along with the Mansion in Twilight Princess.

I still remember the water temple in OoT and being stuck for ages. Until i realised there was a block behind the treasure chest after defeating Shadow Link to remove with the Ocarina. The joy i got as a kid when figuring out puzzles without anyones help lol 

For sure. Just before Xmas I re-completed Majoras Mask. Puts Breath of the Wild to shame. I’m so disappointed in Breath of the Wild right now. I’ve played 30+ hours and I still don’t feel like I’ve progressed in the game. Could be such a great game aswell. The weapon durability  kills it.

My Zelda grades;

Ocarina (10/10)
Majoras (10/10)
Twilight Princess (9/10)
Wind Waker (9/10)
Skyward Sword (8/10)
Breath of the Wild (7/10)

I’ve got to get Mario Odyssey. Been addicted to 2D Mario recently and also been enjoying Yooka-Laylee. Will get it at one point, as well as A Hat in Time.

Edited by Oswinner

I've completed BOTW multiple times as it's genuinely one of my favourite games of all time.  Interesting to read it being divisive here as it's similarly loved within my friends/family circle.  Although I've played all Zelda games released since the N64, they never grabbed me.  Guess the change in style appeased for me but had the opposite affect on those who cherished earlier games.

On a side note:  Switch Pro seems to be getting more "leaks"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-04/nintendo-plans-switch-model-with-bigger-samsung-oled-display

• Like 3

On 05/03/2021 at 19:42, UniFox21 said:

How do people rate these? I'm tempted to pick one of them up

Really depends what games you are in to and if the handheld aspect is appealing. The console itself I think is good. 

I keep seeing tidbits of a 4K version of the Switch. No idea how accurate that is but if a better version was to be announced you would expect an influx of people selling their original Switch's to upgrade. May be worth holding out

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Really depends what games you are in to and if the handheld aspect is appealing. The console itself I think is good. 

I keep seeing tidbits of a 4K version of the Switch. No idea how accurate that is but if a better version was to be announced you would expect an influx of people selling their original Switch's to upgrade. May be worth holding out

The pokemon's and mario are the biggest ones for me. If I was going to play any game thats on another console, I'd likely just play it on the xbox or ps. 

I've seen the same links, but have for a while, and I'd assume that would be a summer or late 2021 release.

Just completed Yooka-Laylee. 30 hours of fun right there. Recommended to anyone who enjoyed the Rare 3D platformers of the late 90s. Got it for £8.74 from the eshop, if it’s still that price then the game comes highly recommended. Bargain.

7 hours ago, Oswinner said:

Just completed Yooka-Laylee. 30 hours of fun right there. Recommended to anyone who enjoyed the Rare 3D platformers of the late 90s. Got it for £8.74 from the eshop, if it’s still that price then the game comes highly recommended. Bargain.

Was thinking of pulling the trigger on that one.

Thanks for the recommendation.

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Was thinking of pulling the trigger on that one.

Thanks for the recommendation.

At £8.74 you cannot go wrong. Just don’t go in with the mindset that it’ll be as good as Banjo. It’s a good 7 or 8/10 game.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ps...if anyone likes Donkey Kong Country  or 2D platformer games in general then you will love the Yooka-Laylee sequel;

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

Finally got around to playing it and it’s insanely good. 10/10 easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oswinner said:

Ps...if anyone likes Donkey Kong Country  or 2D platformer games in general then you will love the Yooka-Laylee sequel;

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

Finally got around to playing it and it’s insanely good. 10/10 easily.

Yep finished this the other week. Loved it.

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Anyone got that Monster Hunter game? Played the demo and couldn’t get into it but seems to be getting good reviews 

I had monster hunter on Xbox when it was hyped up and never got into it. Too Japanese too me and didn't enjoy the combat. Felt more like modern day final fantasy style rather than something like demon souls etc. If you're not getting into it with the demo doubt you'll enjoy it much more on the full game. 

11 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Anyone got that Monster Hunter game? Played the demo and couldn’t get into it but seems to be getting good reviews 

I've played plenty of these but not planning on playing this one. It's a game you will have to play properly to see if you like. The demo will never give the proper experience because the gameplay loop that is most enjoyable resolves around materials and gear. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with the depth of the mechanics if you do give it a go, though, because the game won't hold your hand and explain what everything means from the off.

On 30/03/2021 at 10:42, Samilktray said:

Are you new to the Franchise? If so, the demo is a poor show as it was really aimed towards experienced players of the series. Not sure why they did it really like that but all their demo's are the same, just a few quests and nothing about core progression/items/maps really. 

I bought this game on release as I've been playing this series since PSP days but it only really became "Mainstream" in the west after the launch of Monster Hunter world on Xbox/Playstation/PC. 

In terms of Rise, it's the most accessible Monster Hunter yet. For previous MH games they were mainly geared towards existing players and did a poor job of getting new players involved. 

So many mechanics in Rise are relaxed and the progression loop has been simplified in terms of what parts you need to upgrade/craft gear. The game uses the same tutorials to show you how to play but the systems behind the game are a lot simplier. 

My opinion on the game? It's absolutely fantastic and the second best MH game I have even played (behind MH World). But I am an experienced player of the franchise and it's easy for me to get in to. 

If you want to truly stick with the game and get past the steep learning curve (it's still steep but nowhere near as steep as previous titles) at the beginning, you'll have a great time with the core gameplay loop and progression. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-14-heres-a-first-look-at-the-house-of-the-dead-remake

'Here's a first look at the House of the Dead remake

Coming to Switch later this year.'

Usually fully on board the remakes, but not this one. Loved the original games and played them for ages, but can't see them having the same appeal these days. And it's been so long since we've seen a new screenshooter that it would be nice to see one with the tech of today.