Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheStig

Referees

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

I don't disagree.

Atwell did ok I thought. As for Taylor he's normally one of the better ones but had an absolute shocker today. We've now had 2 dreadful refs who've managed to give the overwhelming majority of contentious decisions against us in our last 3 games plus Bournemouth where it's fair to say we didn't get the rub of the green.

As MP says we've been fortunate on the whole over the last 18 months, but most of that good fortune came in a concentrated spell up to the end of last year. I'd say we're about even over that period now. I can't even remember the last time somebody was sent off against us (Francis for Bournemouth? Probably the end of our good run with refs because that was never a sending off) and there have been several pretty stonewall cases for red cards for opponents this season alone - Coquelin, Nordveidt and Simons all pretty clearly should have walked at various stages this season.

It was francis but I'm sure the debate there was in or outside the box - he pulled Vardy down from behind, last man but the contact was on the edge not in?

Refereeing performances have been awful over the past 12-18 months in general n the PL. However, it is a very difficult job.

What needs to happen now is the FA need to help out the referees. Use 4th and 5th officials behind goals and make sure their role is to focus on penalty incident and the like (action in the box basically). Introduce a video referee to review any key decisions (e.g. penalty, red card etc) without stopping a match regularly. In general the extra officials (linesmen included) need to start making more decisions and help the referees.

I think this crap law about not reviewing any incidents post match if the referee dealt with it in the game is rubbish and needs changing. If there are any incidents during a game a referee may have got wrong, then review it and change that decision. In particular the issue of diving needs to be addressed as players are fooling referees. I think if they can prove a player clearly dived to win a penalty it should be a 3 match ban.

Just catching up with MOTD from last night and can't believe that the Burnley first goal was allowed to stand Andre Grey is yards offside, 

Refs/linesman not even keeping basic offside rules even Phil Neville got it wrong in the studio 

The problem is that in this age the only power the fa have over top flight football is through referees and retrospective action and I can see a day when the premiership employs its own referees and brings technology in to decide every major incident.  Just when is the question 

Im convinced there's been a conversation within the PGMO where it's pointed out there's an accusation of them favouring us last season. 

As a result certain players are far more subject to scrunity. They are being harsher on Mahrez for example. They are picking on Vardy and Huth. 

These conversations happen, it sub conciously gets in the refs heads. 

The inconsistence gets me - you had comparable challenges today, one of which was booked and the other not. You had Schmeichel booked for dissent but Carroll not. You had Albrighton booked for something which wasn't dangerous in the slightest. 

We had Vardy booked for diving last season, Antonio got off scot free and the same ref (Moss) award a penalty for the most blatant dive ever from Alli. 

The Vardy v stoke sending off and then a huge inconsistency from the same ref and a ref two days later. 

There's no regularity in the decision making. There's also some incredible patterns with Rob Madley and Mike Dean officiating Spurs but that's bordering on conspiracy theory. 

16 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Just catching up with MOTD from last night and can't believe that the Burnley first goal was allowed to stand Andre Grey is yards offside, 

Refs/linesman not even keeping basic offside rules even Phil Neville got it wrong in the studio 

Are you fishing or are you being genuine???

5 minutes ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

Are you fishing or are you being genuine???

Completely genuine, he was offside the rules state the opponent has to deliberately play the ball to the player in the offside position for him not to be offside 

there is no way O'Shea deliberately played the ball 

37 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Im convinced there's been a conversation within the PGMO where it's pointed out there's an accusation of them favouring us last season. 

As a result certain players are far more subject to scrunity. They are being harsher on Mahrez for example. They are picking on Vardy and Huth. 

These conversations happen, it sub conciously gets in the refs heads. 

The inconsistence gets me - you had comparable challenges today, one of which was booked and the other not. You had Schmeichel booked for dissent but Carroll not. You had Albrighton booked for something which wasn't dangerous in the slightest. 

We had Vardy booked for diving last season, Antonio got off scot free and the same ref (Moss) award a penalty for the most blatant dive ever from Alli. 

The Vardy v stoke sending off and then a huge inconsistency from the same ref and a ref two days later. 

There's no regularity in the decision making. There's also some incredible patterns with Rob Madley and Mike Dean officiating Spurs but that's bordering on conspiracy theory. 

I hope we aren't heading to the same place we were under Pearson where his spats with officials led us to be on the receiving end of many poor decisions. I doubt the referees union took kindly to our vardy masks. The lack of 50/50's going to the home side yesterday (and indeed on Monday) has me wondering. because we are no longer near the top, we aren't getting the better refs anyway. 

Both pawson and now Taylor will know they cocked up with their handling of the games but they probably won't have us again for ages to subconsciously put it right! 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I hope we aren't heading to the same place we were under Pearson where his spats with officials led us to be on the receiving end of many poor decisions. I doubt the referees union took kindly to our vardy masks. The lack of 50/50's going to the home side yesterday (and indeed on Monday) has me wondering. because we are no longer near the top, we aren't getting the better refs anyway. 

Both pawson and now Taylor will know they cocked up with their handling of the games but they probably won't have us again for ages to subconsciously put it right! 

I thought at the time that it was something that could finish up biting us on the bum....and if yesterday was an example of that, we're not going to get many big decisions go in our favour from now on. Although earlier in the season we were getting a few penalty decisions go our way. All I ask for is the referee to be fair and consistent to both sides with his calls and consult with the rest of the officials where a little doubt is concerned.

are we suggesting some referees will simply be out to fúck us over???

if so whats the point in playing or complaining when we get fúcked over:P

our players certainly need to use better judgement at times and reduce the risk of knee jerk decisions from the ref.

Just now, Royston. said:

are we suggesting some referees will simply be out to fúck us over???

if so whats the point in playing or complaining when we get fúcked over:P

our players certainly need to use better judgement at times and reduce the risk of knee jerk decisions from the ref.

No but they are human and subject to emotional responses  (yes, really!)

they will have their prejudged ideas (like if they aren't sure then huth and Simpson are guilty ) and I just remember what it was like after Pearson apparently slagged one of them off in the changing room at half time - we got no 50/50 decisions for ages. 

Last year we seeemd to get plenty of those go our way and I judged ranieri's genial approach and solid commitment not to question their decisions to be at the heart of this. 

Wet Ham have a different view ...

" Just hate losing against that lot. There aren't many other teams with such whiny & biased supporters. Terrible bunch, would love to see them struggle again."

" My thoughts exactly. They seem to have an awful lot of fans who just don't even understand the basics of football rules and they just scream for absolutely everything and anything if the opposing side get anywhere near their half. I bet they've also gained many new 'popcorn munchers' this year too after their last campaign and they clearly don't understand the rules either.

At one point they all screamed at the ref when Antonio is offside but he doesn't even get to the through ball. He backs off his run and a defender just clears it. Doh....utter half-wits. I'd personally be happy if the crisp-loving whingers, including ol' big ears Line-acher, struggle now for the rest of the season. Oh, and Huth's an absolute t*sser too. Come to think of it...there's plenty on their side for me to hate with all their moaning and antics they get up to. Last year they got away with absolute murder in a lot of their games."

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166844&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=580

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Wet Ham have a different view ...

" Just hate losing against that lot. There aren't many other teams with such whiny & biased supporters. Terrible bunch, would love to see them struggle again."

" My thoughts exactly. They seem to have an awful lot of fans who just don't even understand the basics of football rules and they just scream for absolutely everything and anything if the opposing side get anywhere near their half. I bet they've also gained many new 'popcorn munchers' this year too after their last campaign and they clearly don't understand the rules either.

At one point they all screamed at the ref when Antonio is offside but he doesn't even get to the through ball. He backs off his run and a defender just clears it. Doh....utter half-wits. I'd personally be happy if the crisp-loving whingers, including ol' big ears Line-acher, struggle now for the rest of the season. Oh, and Huth's an absolute t*sser too. Come to think of it...there's plenty on their side for me to hate with all their moaning and antics they get up to. Last year they got away with absolute murder in a lot of their games."

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166844&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=580

Some  of those comments are right though. 

I was a bit embarrased by the way we screamed for a free kick every time the defender was stronger than slim. And fuchs was a moron with that Antonio situation. he is offside so no need to panic and clear it poorly, thus putting the attacker onside when it comes back. 

West Ham got most of the 50/50's which, away from home isnt right.   Second game on the trot for that to be true. Of course this makes the supporters scream for everything which is perhaps what the hammers fail to appreciate. 

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Some  of those comments are right though. 

I was a bit embarrased by the way we screamed for a free kick every time the defender was stronger than slim. And fuchs was a moron with that Antonio situation. he is offside so no need to panic and clear it poorly, thus putting the attacker onside when it comes back. 

West Ham got most of the 50/50's which, away from home isnt right.   Second game on the trot for that to be true. Of course this makes the supporters scream for everything which is perhaps what the hammers fail to appreciate. 

Personally I'm not. It's ironic coming from West Ham fans who had a ground where their fans got on the back of the ref and opposition. Now they have a soulless bowl. 

Its our home patch, if the crowd are enraged all the better. Let's make it awkward and a place where away fans don't like it.

The reason fans were wanting a free kick every time the defenders "were stronger than Slim" is because West Ham were getting free kicks every time our defenders were stronger than their strikers. Andy Carroll got a free kick for being "out muscled" in the air by 10 stone Mahrez. Albrighton was booked for pulling someone back, but their defender pulled Gray to the ground in the first half and wasn't booked. The officiating was not consistent in any way, and that is what antagonised people so much.

11 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

The reason fans were wanting a free kick every time the defenders "were stronger than Slim" is because West Ham were getting free kicks every time our defenders were stronger than their strikers. Andy Carroll got a free kick for being "out muscled" in the air by 10 stone Mahrez. Albrighton was booked for pulling someone back, but their defender pulled Gray to the ground in the first half and wasn't booked. The officiating was not consistent in any way, and that is what antagonised people so much.

This, there was no way Noble's tackle on Albrighton (I think?) was a foul or a booking, but I was screaming for one because of the joke booking that Huth got. W@nker ref

6 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd like to know why the linesmen/assistant refs are so weak - I don't go to many games, but when I do, they almost seem to look at the referee for permission to raise their flag.

Because that is how some refs (and the fa) want it.  I said before, at my level - sunday mornings - I've had refs tell me, when I've been an assistant for a cup final, "penalties I want to give them".  My view and instructions when I've been in the middle, are "if you see it and would give, then help me out, give it".

It's not the FA way though. 

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd like to know why the linesmen/assistant refs are so weak - I don't go to many games, but when I do, they almost seem to look at the referee for permission to raise their flag.

Because they are instructed by the referee to follow their lead as they don't want t be undermined and need to be seen that they're always in control. 

36 minutes ago, Goober said:

This, there was no way Noble's tackle on Albrighton (I think?) was a foul or a booking, but I was screaming for one because of the joke booking that Huth got. W@nker ref

That's the point though, it's the lack of consistency. Noble's was identical to Huth's, one was a yellow, the other not even a free kick - if anything, Noble's was worse.

Archived