Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Liverpool Pre-Match Thread

Stat time 

• Leicester won this exact fixture last season thanks to brace from Jamie Vardy (2-0). They’ve not won back-to-back home league games against Liverpool since August 1972.
  • The Reds won the previous encounter 4-1 in September, but they haven’t beaten Leicester home and away in the same season since 2001-02.
  • The Foxes’ last three Premier League goals against Liverpool have all been scored by Jamie Vardy. He’s the only Leicester player to score against Liverpool at the King Power Stadium.
  • However, Vardy has scored in just one of his last 18 Premier League games (a hat-trick v Manchester City in December).
  • Liverpool have won more away games against reigning Premier League champions than any other side (8), including at Stamford Bridge in 2015-16. The Reds are also the only side to have done so in consecutive seasons (2000-01 and 2001-02 vs Man Utd).
  • Leicester could become the first reigning top-flight champion to lose 15 league games within a season since Leeds United in 1992/93.
  • The Foxes have lost their last five league games – the only other reigning top-flight champion to lose six on the bounce are Everton in 1928/29 (final six games of the season).
  • Sadio Mané has been directly involved in more Premier League goals than any other Liverpool player this season (15 - 11 goals, four assists).
  • Claudio Ranieri has won four of his previous five home games against Liverpool as a Premier League manager, losing the other in January 2004 while at Chelsea.
  • Georginio Wijnaldum has had a hand in three of Liverpool’s last four Premier League goals, scoring one and assisting two.
  • Jordan Henderson is the only Premier League player to attempt more than 2000 passes this season (2059), whilst he’s also run the furthest (286.2km).

Assuming Slim isn't fit enough to start, I'd go with:

Kasper

Simpson

Wes

Benny

Fuchs

Gray

Drinky

N'Didi

Mahrez

Vardy

Okazaki

Think Huth needs a rest, putting my faith in Fuchs to step up as I think would be a risk playing Chilwell against a potent Liverpool attack and I think Gray has significantly improved his defensive game so can finally start with Mahrez. 

Albrighton shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI, he's been very poor recently. Can't fault his effort but it's not working for him.

21 minutes ago, shiv said:

Kasper

Simpson

Wes

Benny

Fuchs

Gray

Drinky

N'Didi

Mahrez

Vardy

Okazaki

Think Huth needs a rest, putting my faith in Fuchs to step up as I think would be a risk playing Chilwell against a potent Liverpool attack and I think Gray has significantly improved his defensive game so can finally start with Mahrez. 

Albrighton shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI, he's been very poor recently. Can't fault his effort but it's not working for him.

This is our best side at the moment. Bring Silmani off the bench if fit for Shinji as he and Vardy have shown some ability to work together - or move to a 3-5-2 if need be. 

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Must say it looks quite refreshing seeing specific tactics look like they are being worked on (latter half of this clip). I've watched like 10 of these clips and don't think I've ever seen that...

Agree ! They all seemed to be working on their smile for the camera skills before 

wouldn't surprise me if we play the side that won the league last season + ndidi, with ulloa, gray & amartey coming on as impact subs. scenes if morgan & huth play out their skins.

schmeichel

simpson, morgan, huth, fuchs

mahrez, drinkwater, ndidi, albrighton

okazaki

vardy

1 hour ago, shiv said:

Kasper

Simpson

Wes

Benny

Fuchs

Gray

Drinky

N'Didi

Mahrez

Vardy

Okazaki

Shinji has been woeful this season

18 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Shinji has been woeful this season

Unfortunately don't really have any other options with Ulloa and Slim returning from injury. Would rather have Shinji than Musa, and I think Vardy needs someone alongside him. I reckon it'll be a case of going back to basics from Shakey. 

1 minute ago, foxes21 said:

everyone has, bar a couple

Yes, but as a few on here have already said, his is THE key position. And for him to fail in that no10 role, this season, is a big as an issue, as having no Ngolo Kante. Then to compound the problem CR didn't seem to recognise this, or try to address it

4 hours ago, brucey said:

Must say it looks quite refreshing seeing specific tactics look like they are being worked on (latter half of this clip). I've watched like 10 of these clips and don't think I've ever seen that...

Highly encouraging, especially the specific ploys and the sudden availability of people. Shakespeare has a massive personal opportunity as caretaker. Success will lift his profile whatever and who knows what he might do at Leicester should he earn the chance? I can only wish him well.      

25 minutes ago, shiv said:

Unfortunately don't really have any other options with Ulloa and Slim returning from injury. Would rather have Shinji than Musa, and I think Vardy needs someone alongside him. I reckon it'll be a case of going back to basics from Shakey. 

Has Claudio ever tried King alongside Vardy?

Shakespeare knows all about Liverpool and, as a coach, should be more than capable of picking his team and fashioning appropriate tactics.  I'm pleased his coaching session looked interesting, constructive and alive.

However the game goes, the bloke's going to need encouragement from the crowd come Monday. Everything's possible if he gets our team back to their best but it's no use expecting instant miracles. The right attitude would help for a start. And an Ulloa goal would be nice.      

17 minutes ago, brucey said:

Has Claudio ever tried King alongside Vardy?

I don't believe that would work. King is clearly a central midfielder, doesn't have the pace to be a good number 10, and I don't believe he has a good finishing ability, did some good long shots, but nothing major. My honest opinion is that your best tactic is with Slimani up top alone, or doing the Vardy role, with another striker other than Vardy doing the number 10 role. Vardy is in the team by his past, not by his present, that is never a good thing because his performances throughout the season have been painful to watch.

Archived