Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Yastafox

Next Manager?

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Master of the bleeding obvious!

:P

what would YOU do Nick? What would you do?

Well COL it's IMPOSSIBLE to say as that kind of decision would need to be based on FACTS and insider knowledge. And I'd have to WRITE things in CAPS like a CONDESCENDING twat.

It depends who wants the job firstly and if there is a suitable candidate that's not Pardew Hodgson Pearson Rodgers et al. If there is not a manager that wants the job that suits our brand of football AND shakey has the respect and confidence of all the squad then yeah I'd go for him and give him his shot - wouldn't want to lose him though as assistant coach in all honesty.

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Well COL it's IMPOSSIBLE to say as that kind of decision would need to be based on FACTS and insider knowledge. And I'd have to WRITE things in CAPS like a CONDESCENDING twat.

It depends who wants the job firstly and if there is a suitable candidate that's not Pardew Hodgson Pearson Rodgers et al. If there is not a manager that wants the job that suits our brand of football AND shakey has the respect and confidence of all the squad then yeah I'd go for him and give him his shot - wouldn't want to lose him though as assistant coach in all honesty.

lol

Was really just saying good morning matey!

HAVE A GOOD DAY!

lol

Thinking about Rudkin trying to make this decision make me be sick in my mouth a little. This is one of the biggest decisions the club will ever have to make, but I have zero trust in them actually being capable of looking outside their tiny little box of "names".

Last time we had to make this decision it was worth fighting to keep all the Pearson team in place, but slowly we've lost a lot of what we wanted to keep last time. So there comes a time when you have to look at what is left and ask if it's right to compromise a new manager by forcing his hand into accepting the old team.

It's clear the players have a fair amount of power, this bit of Sunday Supplement was quite interesting in that respect. http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/tv-shows/sunday-supplement/10791244/leicesters-next-step. If they voiced their opinions this time, I think they were right to do so. But it doesn't always mean they will be, there are quite a few older / fringe players whose future here beyond perhaps next season is in serious doubt. We can't have them calling the shots in case they start looking after no.1. 

Unless the club are confident Shaky can be a good no.1, instead of just a good coach. Then I think it's time to start looking at filtering out the Pearson era, but also looking for someone who had the ingredients that made his time here and what he left behind such a success.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Unless the club are confident Shaky can be a good no.1, instead of just a good coach. Then I think it's time to start looking at filtering out the Pearson era, but also looking for someone who had the ingredients that made his time here and what he left behind such a success.

Don't agree with this at all, if it were me in charge as soon as CR had left the training ground I would have been straight on the phone to the sports scientists and psychologists that he let go grovelling to get them back in. 

The backroom set up put in place largely by NP was the basis CR won the league on, we can't afford to lose that. 

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Don't agree with this at all, if it were me in charge as soon as CR had left the training ground I would have been straight on the phone to the sports scientists and psychologists that he let go grovelling to get them back in. 

The backroom set up put in place largely by NP was the basis CR won the league on, we can't afford to lose that. 

I'm not suggesting we sack everyone. Clearly there are lots of positions that can stay filled with who is there now. The Analysts, the sports science guys for a start.

We've already lost a lot the team lets not forget Walsh, McKenzie, Wrigglesworth, Way. Quite a few of the Pearson era players are either aging or nothing more than fringe players (Huth, Morgan, King, Was, Leo etc) and it is quite possible that we find ourselves losing Kasper and Mahrez at the end of the season. A new manager coming in won't want Shaky around after the press he's had as he'll not trust him.

At some point, we will move past that era, you either plan the succession, or you sleep walk into it. I'd rather choose the former, the best way of going about that is getting someone who is their own man. But also someone with key characteristics of Pearson, someone who embraces the same sort of things.

Ranieri looked the wrong choice from the start on that side of it and it's turned out that way. So lets look for someone who can embrace what we have and what we're about. But also strong enough to start that filtering process into a new era. I don't want a bunch of 30+ players dictating things.

I'm not against Shaky getting the job but if he does I hope it's not solely because he had a good end of season with us.

If I was the owners or Rudkin I'd want to hear a very convincing presentation by Shakey on what his plans are for evolving the team in the future. It doesn't take a great man manager or tactician to galvanise this squad into some good results now Ranieri has gone but what is the plan for the summer and beyond?

I can see a lot more advantages in hiring the recently sacked Leverkusen coach who has done well with a similar sized club and comes in with fresh ideas and no favourites.

Agreeing a really tough pre season should be one of the key points in any new manager's application. Both O'Neil and Pearson had miliary style pre season regimes while Taylor and Rob Kelly you could tell from the first 20 minutes of the first game pre season had been soft as shite. And the less said about this year's the better...

Shakey needs to show he can demand and get the absolute  max from the players. If he can convince he's much more than the players' man then he has to be the right choice. Otherwise we have to bring in a completely new regime with progressive ideas.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Thinking about Rudkin trying to make this decision make me be sick in my mouth a little. This is one of the biggest decisions the club will ever have to make, but I have zero trust in them actually being capable of looking outside their tiny little box of "names".

Last time we had to make this decision it was worth fighting to keep all the Pearson team in place, but slowly we've lost a lot of what we wanted to keep last time. So there comes a time when you have to look at what is left and ask if it's right to compromise a new manager by forcing his hand into accepting the old team.

It's clear the players have a fair amount of power, this bit of Sunday Supplement was quite interesting in that respect. http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/tv-shows/sunday-supplement/10791244/leicesters-next-step. If they voiced their opinions this time, I think they were right to do so. But it doesn't always mean they will be, there are quite a few older / fringe players whose future here beyond perhaps next season is in serious doubt. We can't have them calling the shots in case they start looking after no.1. 

You are spot on, the biggest worry I've always had with the people in charge are they aren't that knowledgable about football. They aren't very proactive in disaster recovery i.e. we need a new manager, we need a new DOF etc. It's all just hand to mouth and it paid off by getting Pearson back who builds a club from top to bottom as much as he can do, so player recruitment, sports science etc means we are one step ahead of your average club but as you say, that is all slowly breaking up and I'm uncomfortable with what will be left if we don't have some very good strategic planning. Our academy is a farce at the minute, the jury is massively out on this Macia who is likely to leave now CR has gone and Rudkin needs eradicating. We need a progressive sporting director who will be driven and ambitious to get this club to a level last seasons title win afforded us. Alongside someone like Shakepeare or a new manager and his coaching team. We may never be gracing the Champions League again for quite some time but our reputation from last seasons title win still puts us above a lot of your average clubs in the PL and with very positive and hands on owners we should be looking to really build something here. Have a plan to get the very best academy that filters through to the first team, like a lot of the great European clubs that can't compete financially with the biggest clubs in their country but still remain the next level such as Dortmund, Monaco and Sevilla. There's no reason we can't try to replicate something like that.

I'd also like to see us in the interim next season look at bringing in some proven experience from the PL, we've badly misjudged that last summer when we could have got Keane and got big guns for Sigurdsson. We've the money and ok you shouldn't be held to ransom but quality over quantity is key for us, where we still haven't improved our XI from last season.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You are spot on, the biggest worry I've always had with the people in charge are they aren't that knowledgable about football. They aren't very proactive in disaster recovery i.e. we need a new manager, we need a new DOF etc. It's all just hand to mouth and it paid off by getting Pearson back who builds a club from top to bottom as much as he can do, so player recruitment, sports science etc means we are one step ahead of your average club but as you say, that is all slowly breaking up and I'm uncomfortable with what will be left if we don't have some very good strategic planning. Our academy is a farce at the minute, the jury is massively out on this Macia who is likely to leave now CR has gone and Rudkin needs eradicating. We need a progressive sporting director who will be driven and ambitious to get this club to a level last seasons title win afforded us. Alongside someone like Shakepeare or a new manager and his coaching team. We may never be gracing the Champions League again for quite some time but our reputation from last seasons title win still puts us above a lot of your average clubs in the PL and with very positive and hands on owners we should be looking to really build something here. Have a plan to get the very best academy that filters through to the first team, like a lot of the great European clubs that can't compete financially with the biggest clubs in their country but still remain the next level such as Dortmund, Monaco and Sevilla. There's no reason we can't try to replicate something like that.

I'd also like to see us in the interim next season look at bringing in some proven experience from the PL, we've badly misjudged that last summer when we could have got Keane and got big guns for Sigurdsson. We've the money and ok you shouldn't be held to ransom but quality over quantity is key for us, where we still haven't improved our XI from last season.

:appl:

Best post I've read in ages and exactly what I believe.

Let's face managers dont last long...

In business your sales manager is out fighting to meet the current years targets... some one  else sorts out strategic stuff.... product roadmap... r&d... developmemt...positioning etc etc

It seems crazy to have the manager of a footballclub responsible for long term infrastructure stuff.... or the academy... sports science... recruitment .... as these will all get junked everytime the coach changes.

Consider this.... in England we have the most tv money and pay big wages to attact big players... yet out teams struggle to compete in europe.  This is coz we are not effectively spending our funds... and this inefficiency is a result of throwing everything up in the air when a manager goes.   Yet real and barca go on winning even when their coaches change.

Of course it might be that the current coach doesn't act on the recommendation of say sport scientists... but that is no reason to scrap it.... we will need this voice or skill for the next manager.

To manage the risks of a manager being poached or melting down then the infrastructure and stategic stuff should be managed elsewhere

Shakey ...or somone else can be the coach... but all the other stuff should be managed strategically.

I am available top.

15 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Let's face managers dont last long...

In business your sales manager is out fighting to meet the current years targets... some one  else sorts out strategic stuff.... product roadmap... r&d... developmemt...positioning etc etc

It seems crazy to have the manager of a footballclub responsible for long term infrastructure stuff.... or the academy... sports science... recruitment .... as these will all get junked everytime the coach changes.

Consider this.... in England we have the most tv money and pay big wages to attact big players... yet out teams struggle to compete in europe.  This is coz we are not effectively spending our funds... and this inefficiency is a result of throwing everything up in the air when a manager goes.   Yet real and barca go on winning even when their coaches change.

Of course it might be that the current coach doesn't act on the recommendation of say sport scientists... but that is no reason to scrap it.... we will need this voice or skill for the next manager.

To manage the risks of a manager being poached or melting down then the infrastructure and stategic stuff should be managed elsewhere

Shakey ...or somone else can be the coach... but all the other stuff should be managed strategically.

I am available top.

I think that's what most of us want. Our biggest problem is not having anyone overseeing it with a strategy. The strategy was Pearson's, he went and it was then left in the hands of Walsh and Shaky to carry it on, we've now lost Walsh as well. So it's all now pretty much in the hands of Shaky, as it's clear we can't trust the current DOF to implement that philosophy throughout the club.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I think that's what most of us want. Our biggest problem is not having anyone overseeing it with a strategy. The strategy was Pearson's, he went and it was then left in the hands of Walsh and Shaky to carry it on, we've now lost Walsh as well. So it's all now pretty much in the hands of Shaky, as it's clear we can't trust the current DOF to implement that philosophy throughout the club.

My arsenal fan friends ... yes i know....cant imagine e the club post wenger.  Look how utd faired post fergie

It doesn't make sense to have all the club controlled by the current manager 

In reality it shoulnt be under one dof either....

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

My arsenal fan friends ... yes i know....cant imagine e the club post wenger.  Look how utd faired post fergie

It doesn't make sense to have all the club controlled by the current manager 

In reality it shoulnt be under one dof either....

Someone needs to head it up though, so who? Considering how quickly managers go now I agree it shouldn't be in their hands, like the Saints model. But they have Les Reed to run it?

Going back to my earlier points, what worries me is that we now seemingly have the players dictating the philosophy and that's bloody dangerous.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Someone needs to head it up though, so who? Considering how quickly managers go now I agree it shouldn't be in their hands, like the Saints model. But they have Les Reed to run it?

Susan  needs to appoint a good football operations manager..... dof if u must.. who i turn wpuld rin a foodball opertations team.... with someone to head up    each of developmemt...recruitement (i would favour a balanced strategy of epl exp v imports... old v young). ... sports science... psychology.... player services (helping players avoid problems in their lives)  ... and first team manager respondible for his coaching staff

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Going back to my earlier points, what worries me is that we now seemingly have the players dictating the philosophy and that's bloody dangerous.

We need a robot, a bloody loyal robot.

7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Susan  needs to appoint a good football operations manager..... dof if u must.. who i turn wpuld rin a foodball opertations team.... with someone to head up    each of developmemt...recruitement (i would favour a balanced strategy of epl exp v imports... old v young). ... sports science... psychology.... player services (helping players avoid problems in their lives)  ... and first team manager respondible for his coaching staff

We have the head of departments, so it's a DOF and a manager that works within our structure really. Problem is we're never going to lose Rudkin it seems.

Plus, as it was Pearson's strategy. How the hell do you get someone else to implement it. From what we've seen it doesn't seem like the people above have a clue themselves what the strategy was or should be.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We have the head of departments, so it's a DOF and a manager that works within our structure really. Problem is we're never going to lose Rudkin it seems.

The current structure is to footy background focussed... i have said before that i am unimpressed on meeting rudkin... he must have been appointed to the level above his competence.  I have worked with ft100 directors and most are pretty smart and focussed.  This is a compmex role and needs someone bright

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

The current structure is to footy background focussed... i have said before that i am unimpressed on meeting rudkin... he must have been appointed to the level above his competence.  I have worked with ft100 directors and most are pretty smart and focussed.  This is a compmex role and needs someone bright

Shakey is the most experienced and credible football focused person we have. Other members of the hierarchy are green, that's a worry imo

9 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Shakey is the most experienced and credible football focused person we have. Other members of the hierarchy are green, that's a worry imo

Thats why they should use this moment to sort the whole thing out.  Shakey, i imagine, will accept the coach role and hopefully understand why we need to build more perminance and experience into our structure.

This is the vichia and susans big moment 

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Finally, a decent discussion on the truth of our whole situation. I hope this is talked about more in the media, as seems like Claudio has been given 100% credit for our title win, and the players, staff and owners who have been building us for the last 6-7 years, are now being given 0% credit.

I think we should have a bit more confidence in the owners ...    they were new to this but are obviously quite savvy and are on a steep learning curve.   They are learning quickly.  Because we over achieved last season it knocked us out of kilter.  The 4 year plan missed years 1 to 3 !    CR was taking us backwards and they reacted quickly and were not worried or fazed by the absolute sh1te that the media spun up.  They may well want a 'name' to take us forward but cannot have been blind to what Shakey has achieved and potentially has to offer.  It is important he gets the right help be that above him or below him, or both !   Assuming we stay up we need to rebuild quickly and get players in to replace some of our aging stars.   We are at a crossroads.   I'm quite optimistic.

Archived