Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

St Petersburg bombings

Explosions on the underground. At least 50 injured and 10 dead already.

Nail bombs reported:(

Can't see Putin not reacting to this? (He's in the City today apparently).

What do those responsible hope to get out of it? Sympathy? Don'l they not realise it is the victims that get the sympathy and killers are branded as killers regardless of the reason?

What a sick world we live in.

1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

What do those responsible hope to get out of it? Sympathy? Don'l they not realise it is the victims that get the sympathy and killers are branded as killers regardless of the reason?

Fame and a good shag in the afterlife no doubt.

I feel for the Russian people.  Their government has been pretty brutal over many years in the fringe states, and they still retain their authority through brute force, which is certainly a driver of terrorist activity in response.  I'm sure your average Russian is not always in support, and as we said no one deserves to be attacked going their daily business.  RIP to the victims.

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I feel for the Russian people.  Their government has been pretty brutal over many years in the fringe states, and they still retain their authority through brute force, which is certainly a driver of terrorist activity in response.  I'm sure your average Russian is not always in support, and as we said no one deserves to be attacked going their daily business.  RIP to the victims.

Our media loves nothing more than finding some maniac, scary sounding Russian that thinks Putin is a minor deity but let's be honest, the vast majority of the enormous Russian population are just normal people.

Terrible for them, just as it is the Americans and us to a lesser extent. We're all victims or willy puller terrorists, for sure, but in every instance our own governments' foreign policies have a habit of putting these targets on our backs.

Most nations have had their brutal moments over the centuries. That tells me something is wrong with having nations and Man's thinking towards others..

There is a thread on Facebook saying 'Liberals want to ban Islamphobia. For a start that is a made up word and second a phobia is a fear of something. So basically 'Liberals' want to remove the fear that people have of Islam which can be done by removing the extremists. It is how it is done that peoples'  views differ. I do not know the best solution nor do the majority of us. The seeds were planted years ago and the result is a monster of Mankind's own making.

11 hours ago, Rincewind said:

The terrorist organisation? 

Attention & Retaliation -> Polarisation -> More recruits, more power & more violence

The individual terrorists?

In the past, one of the main motives was generally a fierce commitment to the "justice" of the cause and a preparedness to kill for it - and, if absolutely necessary, to die

Those who carry out ISIS-inspired terrorism seem different: petty criminals, delinquents & misfits with no deep commitment to any cause, who want to give their lives a role, purpose or status, often indoctrinated in prison or online. So, a preparedness to kill and to die in order to give their otherwise worthless individual lives some status, I'd say. 

It doesn't matter which borders these people live in, they were innocents killed by mindless violence. Again. Terrible news and thoughts with victims and families. 

11 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Publicity, revenge (as they see it) and recruits - many of whom are young, impressionable, full of testosterone and won't mind (and might even revel) in being called killers. 

You call the world sick, but most of the world worships one kind of God or another, who's (supposedly) responsible for the sometimes violent, aggressive, pushy, self-serving, manipulators who dominate the various stratas of our societies - or compete to replace the dominators - so you're being disturbingly judgemental.

Maybe the truth is that human beings are programmed to fight and compete. Maybe it's survival of the fittest in man as well as other creatures and in that situation you're better off being a winner than a loser.

I don't see anything changing on the broad front either.

Not now or in a million years unless the medics re-programme our brains in some way with whatever consequence. 

That thought has made me more isolationist since I've got older, so i don't have to compete.

The golf I play is an individual challenge. Me against the course and a measure of how fast or otherwise, my body and mind might be declining and an indicator of what needs doing to slow or temporarily reverse that process.  

I've actually found the consequences remarkable but that's an entirely separate issue. 

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

The terrorist organisation? 

Attention & Retaliation -> Polarisation -> More recruits, more power & more violence

The individual terrorists?

In the past, one of the main motives was generally a fierce commitment to the "justice" of the cause and a preparedness to kill for it - and, if absolutely necessary, to die

Those who carry out ISIS-inspired terrorism seem different: petty criminals, delinquents & misfits with no deep commitment to any cause, who want to give their lives a role, purpose or status, often indoctrinated in prison or online. So, a preparedness to kill and to die in order to give their otherwise worthless individual lives some status, I'd say. 

This.

It's amazing (in a really horrible way) how many people don't get this and think that escalation and further polarisation is somehow the way to go because it will result in 'winning'.

Pretty much what Alf says. Even though being an atheist and Humanist I tried not to bring religion into it, These were just mindless killers. I do not want to allow them to have a cause behind their action or doing it for their belief. I have known people of various faiths and they would be as appalled at what has happened. The only difference between them and me is they need to  believe in a god  to follow a moral code.

I treat people as I find them. Their religious belief is the last thing I ask.

Like others have said maybe the ones that are indoctrinated . have shit lives to start with. I am not in any way making excuse but if as a child they are bullied at home and school and somebody offers them a way out whether by drugs or joining a group they may take it. This is what the recruiters do prey on the vulnerable to do the dirty work they are too cowardly to do themselves.

Archived