Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

One of the reasons big name managers are not appropriate is that they do a completely different job. It is one thing to deliver top 4 finishes when having access to virtually unlimited resources. It is quite another to work successfully on a (relative) shoestring budget.

No one will convince me that Pep, or Jose would necessarily make a fist of managing at Leicester City for instance.

First and only English manager to win first five home matches in PL - CS might be on the way to becoming a big name in his own right 

12 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Seems to me a decent article, but I wholly disagree with his notion that the authoritarian method just doesn't seem to work in today's football.  It works for Chelsea under Conte just fine.  Perhaps he is correct about one thing; We have journeymen players unable to take direction and must be played with kid gloves...whatever works!

With the team now assured of Premier league again and likely to be a top ten team and 2nd in points behind Spurs since Shakespeare took over, It would be smart for management and ownership to announce  before season end that he has been appointed fulltime for at least the next 2-3 seasons.  No need to wait till after the season has concluded.  Think it will give all a lift and be a relieve to know what is happening both for those in the club and those considering coming.  

1 hour ago, Sionnach gorm said:

Seems to me a decent article, but I wholly disagree with his notion that the authoritarian method just doesn't seem to work in today's football.  It works for Chelsea under Conte just fine.  Perhaps he is correct about one thing; We have journeymen players unable to take direction and must be played with kid gloves...whatever works!

I agree with the article , the authoritarian system does not work,players hold most of the cards. Also I don't believe that this is what Conte uses at Chelsea in fact it's to the reverse, he does however demand respect through giving it and is the leader, players want to do as they are instructed.

Don't agree with the article re last seasons tactics - that the players ran the show on the field. Clear to see ranieri's fingerprints. Most obviously after Arsenal at home when the full backs were changed and after Arsenal away when the 1-0's started. Does the author believe the players decided to bin jeff and Richie? Does he believe that the players went all 'Italian' after the loss at Arsenal to protect our lead at the top. Both of these decisions were crucial in us winning the title. 

there is is plenty in there which rings true but it's a bit too lop sided for my liking. Things are never black and white but shades of grey. 

35 minutes ago, Hack said:

With the team now assured of Premier league again and likely to be a top ten team and 2nd in points behind Spurs since Shakespeare took over, It would be smart for management and ownership to announce  before season end that he has been appointed fulltime for at least the next 2-3 seasons.  No need to wait till after the season has concluded.  Think it will give all a lift and be a relieve to know what is happening both for those in the club and those considering coming.  

The players may take their foot off the gas 

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Who is Chris Lymn?

Does he have an inside track on the club, if not it is just supposition and speculation. It massively underplays CR's role in the title win, implying the players won it despite him which isn't right in my view. 

57 minutes ago, Mease said:

I agree with the article , the authoritarian system does not work,players hold most of the cards. Also I don't believe that this is what Conte uses at Chelsea in fact it's to the reverse, he does however demand respect through giving it and is the leader, players want to do as they are instructed.

Well, in fact that is Conte style exactly.  He has benched several big players he felt were not taking things seriously or had a bad attitude.  Fabregas and Pirlo have made it clear; he will bench anyone at any time.  He's ruthless.  Ranieri on the other hand has always believed to his detriment that these "are men and should be treated as such."  I think Conte is probably right, and Ranieri wrong.  Too many modern players are just whiney feckers.

On 2017-5-8 at 08:41, Rob1742 said:

It's one of them where you have to give him the job, but he has only done certain elements of it, so we don't know the outcome.

I said this before, he isn't a spring chicken and there would be certain things that have held him back from going for managaers jobs before. If he really had the desire to be a manager, he would have left us years ago to pursue that aim.

The best start young, and so I think it may go wrong when he gets to deal with a whole new set of situations that he isn't used to dealing with.

Lovely fella, but because he has not ventured into this arena before, I am unsure if he will be any good.

But they are bound to pick him as manager based on him taking everything back to how it was pre Ranieri and getting the results.

Fair points. I will say though that Chris Houghton got his first managerial job at aged 51, at a fairly big club I may add, and he's turned out to be a pretty competent manager relatively speaking. Shakespeare is 53. Not a spring chicken as you say but not old either. 

4 hours ago, Mease said:

It can. Conté is autoritharian as well. I can think of Mourinho, SAF, Marcelo Bielsa, Jupp Heynckes, Felix Magath...

But it's a double edged sword and only works, if and only if you have a (clear) plan and the results follow. Otherwise the players will only fear you. And let you down at some point.

With all the other big calls the owners have made, there has been some logic behind it. Re Sven, Nige, Claudio. It was done in the best interests of the club.

I do expect Shakey to get it, I just can't see how NOT giving it to him would be the best option for Leicester.

But whatever the call, I will back Vichai and co. They have been magnificent

Archived