Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Let's imagine CS doesn't get appointed.

Just WHO do you all want as manager next, realistically?

Good point. 

The only good coaches I can think of is Roger Schmidt or Marcelino. Both would fit our style and would fit in at Leicester. 

If he proves that he can have a plan B (let's say 3-5-2 for example) in the next 4 games then he has my vote.

The amount of hard work that goes into a high press 4-4-2 is ridiculous, vardy proved in the second half of this season that he can live without playing in a counter attack team.

I truly believe that 4-4-2 is not the way forward, we already have players that can play as wingbacks (Ben and albrighton) so, yeah. Let's give it a try.

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Still wouldn't mind the idea of Wagner if he could be tempted away from Huddersfield.

I think the sooner he's named the permanent manager the better. Who will want to sign for us if we're dragging our feet towards signing a manager? The only reason I think you would wait is to negotiate with other managers and see our options. But I would think the owners would have a pretty good idea of who was interested in the job since it's been months since Ranieri was let go.

If we've learned anything from Ranieri's mistakes from this season, it would be that our current squad is not suited to play another style of football. Shakey righted the ship because he put our square pegs in square holes. If we want to change the style of play, it should be done slowly over time as we change the squad. Shakey proved that he can get our players to play in the current system, something that cannot be said for any incoming manager. 

It may be that in a few years time, the players that made up the title winning squad will have moved on. Fuchs, Morgan, Huth, and Vardy are getting on with age. Drinkwater, Mahrez, and Schmeichel will be sought after by other clubs. When these players start to disappear from the squad, and we bring in younger / more versatile players, then we may be ready for a new manager and a new system. But while we still have them, shouldn't we utilize them in a system and manager they are most familiar?

In some respects the sooner the better but also good to see if he can keep the players motivated with less to play for over the coming weeks. Hope he gets it though and we return to the core principles of what made us great. 

lol

For anyone saying the past few matches have been uninspiring...what do you expect? There IS an opposition you know. We don't just turn up and win games. Look at his record for Christ's sake....some games won convincingly, playing attacking football, others won by grinding out results. 

'Last season was a one off, boys and girls...we didn't 'fluke it', but it was a massively unexpected outcome. Now you seem to think we have a divine right to turn anyone over, easily.

Shakey is solid, the players respect him, he knows them, he knows the club. Keep him and let's see what he can do when he develops his own squad.

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

For anyone saying the past few matches have been uninspiring...what do you expect? There IS an opposition you know. We don't just turn up and win games. Look at his record for Christ's sake....some games won convincingly, playing attacking football, others won by grinding out results. 

'Last season was a one off, boys and girls...we didn't 'fluke it', but it was a massively unexpected outcome. Now you seem to think we have a divine right to turn anyone over, easily.

Shakey is solid, the players respect him, he knows them, he knows the club. Keep him and let's see what he can do when he develops his own squad.

Agreed. 3 losses to Everton, Atleti and Arsenal. Even at best of times we wouldn't expect winning away to those teams.

I'm not sure what else Shakespeare can do to convince people. Granted, we're judging him on a small sample size of games and that can sometimes be misleading.

In my personal opinion if we want to achieve/maintain mid table status Shakey can help us do this until he runs out of ideas 3 years from now and gets fired.  The owners want more CL exposure for their brand, also more press and excitement around becoming a real brand in the PL.  I am not convinced Shakey can do that.  we need a name, someone with a history and a track record that will attract the bigger players. An Ancelotti, a Simeone or even a Mourinho. Think big.  

I think he's warranted himself a shot at the job at least 

And surely him being there can only add to the tight knit relationship our squad has 

If he has a genuine plan for the future and what he aims and such then id give him the job in the summer.

But not before 

Why disturb the current momentum we have 

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

No Col, it's all about us.  We should just turn up and win, right?  If not, it's us being crap not the opposition nullifying us. :D

You are spot on, he's really turned around the fortunes of the season, and people are already forgetting the performances when he first took over.  He won is first 6 games in row and scored at least 2 goals a game in all of them.  That Liverpool display was immense.

Those who say he has no plan B have already forgotten the second half against Atleti at home too.  Showed real tactical acumen and was able to get the players to understand and respond.  I really felt we were in with a chance as we went for it.  Great stuff, and exciting, despite not winning and going out. 

11 minutes ago, cecchini said:

In my personal opinion if we want to achieve/maintain mid table status Shakey can help us do this until he runs out of ideas 3 years from now and gets fired.  The owners want more CL exposure for their brand, also more press and excitement around becoming a real brand in the PL.  I am not convinced Shakey can do that.  we need a name, someone with a history and a track record that will attract the bigger players. An Ancelotti, a Simeone or even a Mourinho. Think big.  

Yer because 'big names' have always done us well in the past.......   

3 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

Yer because 'big names' have always done us well in the past.......   

Er well, good point Ranieri was not a big name......

who were the others? Big name plus no money plus not living in London = not very interested world class players.

Big name, plus big money = possibly interested world class players.

Owners have money - they have seen significant revenue based on winning the prem and a good run in CL  would you buy a VW engine to stick in your Ferrari?

stop being small minded, the owners going past Pearson for Ranieri was what brought us the PL title last year.  Wake up and smell the espresso.

27 minutes ago, cecchini said:

who were the others? Big name plus no money plus not living in London = not very interested world class players.

Owners have money - they have seen significant revenue based on winning the prem and a good run in CL  would you buy a VW engine to stick in your Ferrari?

stop being small minded, the owners going past Pearson for Ranieri was what brought us the PL title last year.  Wake up and smell the espresso.

It's been the 'big names' that have fooked us over really.

Slimani...to date, no-one will tell me he ain't been one of worst signings of the season. Musa...expensive...Mendy...not inexpensive. 

We are a club that is at its best when it takes good prospects and develops them. Improves them.

We don't usually do so well when we buy so-called 'ready-made' players.

I believe Shakespeare prefers and is good at bringing through 'developing', talent. His team selections have been, imo, pretty much spot on. He's played who I would play, he's dropped who I'd have dropped.

I like how he communicates...he seems sensible, not full of bull-shit. I'd play for him, no problem and would respect him.

52 minutes ago, cecchini said:

In the same token why throw money at a Merc when you've got a VW in the garage that's running beautifully?

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Sean-Dyche-571000.jpg

4 hours ago, murphy said:

Have you forgotten that we were dead and buried, sleep walking into the championship until CS took over?

He already has turned it around!

True. But he needs to show that wasn't just the post Ranieri honeymoon.

2 hours ago, the fox said:

If he proves that he can have a plan B (let's say 3-5-2 for example) in the next 4 games then he has my vote.

The amount of hard work that goes into a high press 4-4-2 is ridiculous, vardy proved in the second half of this season that he can live without playing in a counter attack team.

I truly believe that 4-4-2 is not the way forward, we already have players that can play as wingbacks (Ben and albrighton) so, yeah. Let's give it a try.

We played a high press in the Championship................. won that.

Pearson did not think we could play the saw way in Premiership.............disaster.

Pearson finally saw the light and went back to what we do well  in last 9 games....success.

Ranieri felt we should keep high press........... Champions.

Ranieri thought we had been sussed out and changed the way we play............disaster.

Shakey goes back to high press...........success.

Last too games Shakey has not employed a press, made Arsenal look good, struggled against at West Brom.

Any more performances like this will quash any chance (if not already) of Shakey getting job.

We need the manager's position to be resolved in order to identify and put out feelers for potential players.

Last 2 games have made me doubt the wisdom of appointing Shakey as I can not imagine there is another manager who understands his players and what makes them tick.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We played a high press in the Championship................. won that.

Pearson did not think we could play the saw way in Premiership.............disaster.

Pearson finally saw the light and went back to what we do well  in last 9 games....success.

Ranieri felt we should keep high press........... Champions.

Ranieri thought we had been sussed out and changed the way we play............disaster.

Shakey goes back to high press...........success.

Last too games Shakey has not employed a press, made Arsenal look good, struggled against at West Brom.

Any more performances like this will quash any chance (if not already) of Shakey getting job.

We need the manager's position to be resolved in order to identify and put out feelers for potential players.

Last 2 games have made me doubt the wisdom of appointing Shakey as I can not imagine there is another manager who understands his players and what makes them tick.

Our whole defense + vardy and okazaki are 30 or older, marc gonna be 28 by November, slimani gonna be 29 this summer. Unless you are ready to make a major change in the starting line-up, there is no way the players can keep up. Father time is undefeated.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

It's been the 'big names' that have fooked us over really.

Slimani...to date, no-one will tell me he ain't been one of worst signings of the season. Musa...expensive...Mendy...not inexpensive. 

We are a club that is at its best when it takes good prospects and develops them. Improves them.

We don't usually do so well when we buy so-called 'ready-made' players.

I believe Shakespeare prefers and is good at bringing through 'developing', talent. His team selections have been, imo, pretty much spot on. He's played who I would play, he's dropped who I'd have dropped.

I like how he communicates...he seems sensible, not full of bull-shit. I'd play for him, no problem and would respect him.

Agree with all the above - but my nagging doubt about the whole manager thing is that the owners are hugely ambitious and might see beyond Shakey and they maybe don't want a safe, sensible option...

I think the triumvirate of Pearson/Walsh/Shakespeare was a once in a lifetime Lennon/McCartney or Strummer/Jones (yes, I know that's two in a lifetime) planets aligning type of thing - and we currently have one third of that magical formula at the moment that we are desperate to hang on to in the hope that it will keep alive what was the most amazing, successful, bonkers 18 months in the clubs history,

(Our expectations are all over the place - I swung between nailed on top 4 to nailed on relegation - who else has that??!!!)  

We have a style of play that works exceptionally well, but might not be particularly attractive to top managers - and we have owners that want to attract top managers who will inevitably want to change the style of play...but that might break the magic!

I have a feeling that the owners may go for the glory option    

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

You don't know what they are willing to spend, they are also limited with FFP rules

Why, are we going to be the only ones who comply with them, then?

18 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Tactically he is playing the Pearson/Ranieri game. Is that the game for the future will that get us a regular top 6/7 place?..Ranieri tried to change and the players couldnt cope. 

If Shakey stays i assume the tactics will remain.

Of course if they cintinue and have the success he has brought....all good. But i think other clubs have worked us out.

Makes me wonder if they were playing his.

Also agree with those who say that the manager isn't the deal breaker in terms of attracting players. Money prevails here.

Archived