Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We played a high press in the Championship................. won that.

Pearson did not think we could play the saw way in Premiership.............disaster.

Pearson finally saw the light and went back to what we do well  in last 9 games....success.

Ranieri felt we should keep high press........... Champions.

Ranieri thought we had been sussed out and changed the way we play............disaster.

Shakey goes back to high press...........success.

Last too games Shakey has not employed a press, made Arsenal look good, struggled against at West Brom.

Any more performances like this will quash any chance (if not already) of Shakey getting job.

We need the manager's position to be resolved in order to identify and put out feelers for potential players.

Last 2 games have made me doubt the wisdom of appointing Shakey as I can not imagine there is another manager who understands his players and what makes them tick.

100% this.

Shakey has shown improvements since becoming manager though. The subs in the first few games were disasters and later on got better.

As long as we see the high press against against Watford I'll lay my doubts to rest.

It's appears he's in trial, he has an A* at present, but I feel if they take their foot off the gas now we are safe, it could spoil it for him, as they will be looking for someone who can bring consistent results, and get us stabilised in the premier league.

We have struggled in the league, two out of 3 seasons in the league, and may I say the one we didn't was special lol, but now the club has tasted success, I think the owners want more, as they are clearly ambitious 

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Let's imagine CS doesn't get appointed.

Just WHO do you all want as manager next, realistically?

Marco Silva without a doubt. He's destined for the top I reckon.

3 hours ago, cecchini said:

Er well, good point Ranieri was not a big name......

who were the others? Big name plus no money plus not living in London = not very interested world class players.

Big name, plus big money = possibly interested world class players.

Owners have money - they have seen significant revenue based on winning the prem and a good run in CL  would you buy a VW engine to stick in your Ferrari?

stop being small minded, the owners going past Pearson for Ranieri was what brought us the PL title last year.  Wake up and smell the espresso.

Ranieri was a well known name but he didn't exactly bring about a big reputation - don't forget the stick we got when we appointed him. It wasn't "wow what a coup" it was "what are they doing? He's past-it" which to be fair, looking at his last few years, seemed fair.

I still think we got massively lucky with Ranieri. Not lucky to win the league, we totally deserved it based on what happened on the pitch, but it was a complete wildcard from us, sort of understandable when Pearson ended up getting sacked just six weeks before the start of the new season. I think we gambled and got unbelievably lucky. There wasn't a single thing to suggest he was going to succeed here in my eyes.

I also don't know who you seriously see us attracting that fits your bill. Mourinho, Ancelotti and SImeone? lol why are any of them coming here?

4 hours ago, cecchini said:

In my personal opinion if we want to achieve/maintain mid table status Shakey can help us do this until he runs out of ideas 3 years from now and gets fired.  The owners want more CL exposure for their brand, also more press and excitement around becoming a real brand in the PL.  I am not convinced Shakey can do that.  we need a name, someone with a history and a track record that will attract the bigger players. An Ancelotti, a Simeone or even a Mourinho. Think big.  

If the owners are serious about top 4 for CL exposure on a regular basis they will have to spend much, MUCH more, and I doubt that they would be prepared to do so.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It's been the 'big names' that have fooked us over really.

Slimani...to date, no-one will tell me he ain't been one of worst signings of the season. Musa...expensive...Mendy...not inexpensive. 

We are a club that is at its best when it takes good prospects and develops them. Improves them.

We don't usually do so well when we buy so-called 'ready-made' players.

I believe Shakespeare prefers and is good at bringing through 'developing', talent. His team selections have been, imo, pretty much spot on. He's played who I would play, he's dropped who I'd have dropped.

I like how he communicates...he seems sensible, not full of bull-shit. I'd play for him, no problem and would respect him.

Come off it Col, I can't agree with "one of the worst signings of the season" (also, please qualify that statement, are you just talking about signing for us this season or in the PL?).  I would concede he's been injured too much but is it his fault?  He's scored 7 and got 3 assists in 12(7) appearances and has scored winning goals in at least 2-3 games I can remember. He was a big part of the Man City demolition setting up the first IIRC, and got the winner against Porto at home in the CL.  Stats below:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/108055/Show/Islam-Slimani

Let's look at who else has been signed (just by us) this season (I would hardly call any of them "big names" - apart from Slim as a Portuguese league big name)

• Ndidi
  • Slimani
  • Musa
  • Zieler
  • Mendy
  • Kaputska
  • Hernandez
  • Wague

That's our list of signings this season.  He has to be second in the list (Ndidi) way out in front.  Was it his fault we signed him for 28M not the 19M or so we could have got him for? 

Has he been injured too much?  Probably for my liking.  He was also at AFCON (we knew that when we signed him) but was crap there, as were all of Algeria.  He is head and shoulders above Leo though and I think he (on is day) is better than Shinji. 

I think when he's played he's pretty much performed and I think he can play with Vardy. 

Not sure we always take good prospects and improve them. For every Vardy and Riyad, there is a Kramaric (playing for 4th team in Bundesliga), Kaputska, etc that has got away.  We can't claim we improve Kante, we just gave him the opportunity.  

The reality (and back to the topic) is should Shakey stay on?  I've said yes multiple times, and I think you and I definitely agree on that.  The big questions are going to be: "What's his style and what type players does he want?". I'm excited to find out and I think if we want to mix with the big boys, we still need a blend of mature players to go with the youngsters (look how Huth helped the defense, look at what Fuchs brings etc...  They may not be big names but they are ready built and fit the ethos of the team.  

So I started off disagreeing with you but in the end I think we are aligned on moving forward! lol

2 hours ago, the fox said:

Our whole defense + vardy and okazaki are 30 or older, marc gonna be 28 by November, slimani gonna be 29 this summer. Unless you are ready to make a major change in the starting line-up, there is no way the players can keep up. Father time is undefeated.

But there's no reason we can't do it for the remainder of this season.

He seems to be not doing it because

1) He's taken your point and is moving away from the high press, or

2) He doesn't understand how important it is, or

3) Mystery option number three

If he is moving away then he needs a plan other than "just don't press high".

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It's been the 'big names' that have fooked us over really.

Slimani...to date, no-one will tell me he ain't been one of worst signings of the season. Musa...expensive...Mendy...not inexpensive. 

We are a club that is at its best when it takes good prospects and develops them. Improves them.

We don't usually do so well when we buy so-called 'ready-made' players.

I believe Shakespeare prefers and is good at bringing through 'developing', talent. His team selections have been, imo, pretty much spot on. He's played who I would play, he's dropped who I'd have dropped.

I like how he communicates...he seems sensible, not full of bull-shit. I'd play for him, no problem and would respect him.

Do you honestly believe that Slimani has been one of the worst signings of the season? He's not a £30 million player but he'd get you 15 goals a season if he played regularly. 

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Do you honestly believe that Slimani has been one of the worst signings of the season? He's not a £30 million player but he'd get you 15 goals a season if he played regularly. 

You made my earlier point in a better and more succinct manner than i did!

10 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

im not 100% sure, if the owners want top 4 and want to spend big to get there, i think shaky is a big risk, if we want a slow build, and consolidate, shaky is a safe option 

This is the essential question which I am sure is what is being addressed. Top 4 is realistically out of reach on anything but a very occasional basis. The level of investment would be beyond our current owners even though they are wealthy. Look at the figures being thrown around even now before the transfer window is open. £30 million is the new £10 million.  Wages at £300k per week.

The issue though is that after winning the title are the owners prepared to accept mid table mediocrity, something we would have been pleased to achieve to just a couple of seasons ago?

Whilst our current style of playing has proved successful I don't believe it is sustainable in producing success in the long term. last season was very much the perfect storm with players playing at their optimum and suited to our current methods. Yet to change it costs a lot of money as this season has shown that our players are very very good at a few things but not very very good at others.

8 hours ago, Milo said:

Agree with all the above - but my nagging doubt about the whole manager thing is that the owners are hugely ambitious and might see beyond Shakey and they maybe don't want a safe, sensible option...

I think the triumvirate of Pearson/Walsh/Shakespeare was a once in a lifetime Lennon/McCartney or Strummer/Jones (yes, I know that's two in a lifetime) planets aligning type of thing - and we currently have one third of that magical formula at the moment that we are desperate to hang on to in the hope that it will keep alive what was the most amazing, successful, bonkers 18 months in the clubs history,

(Our expectations are all over the place - I swung between nailed on top 4 to nailed on relegation - who else has that??!!!)  

We have a style of play that works exceptionally well, but might not be particularly attractive to top managers - and we have owners that want to attract top managers who will inevitably want to change the style of play...but that might break the magic!

I have a feeling that the owners may go for the glory option    

Mate, you get a plus 1 for use of the word 'triumvirate'. I have no clue if it's even a word...? I'm assuming so. 

6 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

What I DO think is if another Prem club had spunked 30 mill on Slimani, this forum would probably be taking the piss big time. Use of the phrase 'worst signing of the season' would be apparent on more than a few occasions, I suspect.

If we can, I'd look to offload personally.

He looks to not take niggly injuries particularly well, I can't see how we play him and Vardy together away from home and I'm assuming he's on a big salary?

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Mate, you get a plus 1 for use of the word 'triumvirate'. I have no clue if it's even a word...? I'm assuming so. 

It's the word of the day lol

you have to use it a least once at work...

1 hour ago, reynard said:

This is the essential question which I am sure is what is being addressed. Top 4 is realistically out of reach on anything but a very occasional basis. The level of investment would be beyond our current owners even though they are wealthy. Look at the figures being thrown around even now before the transfer window is open. £30 million is the new £10 million.  Wages at £300k per week.

The issue though is that after winning the title are the owners prepared to accept mid table mediocrity, something we would have been pleased to achieve to just a couple of seasons ago?

I'd hope that they are ambitious without being unrealistic, judging by the comments on here some people don't seem to realise what it would take for us to establish ourselves as comfortable for the next decade in mid table, let alone the top 6 like some keep going on about.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I'd hope that they are ambitious without being unrealistic, judging by the comments on here some people don't seem to realise what it would take for us to establish ourselves as comfortable for the next decade in mid table, let alone the top 6 like some keep going on about.

Exactly. 

My feeling is that Shakey is a good man to establish us in the Prem. I think he'd get rid of the players he didn't feel were pulling their weight and sign players that he thought would gel with the others and be 'solid' so to speak.

I may be wrong, but I just have the feeling he's that sort of bloke. One who knows the importance of laying the foundation stones on which to build, rather than trying to build Rome in a day.

19 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What I DO think is if another Prem club had spunked 30 mill on Slimani, this forum would probably be taking the piss big time. Use of the phrase 'worst signing of the season' would be apparent on more than a few occasions, I suspect.

If we can, I'd look to offload personally.

He looks to not take niggly injuries particularly well, I can't see how we play him and Vardy together away from home and I'm assuming he's on a big salary?

When we're in a season where Pogba costs £90m, Stones costs £50m and are both average this year. Batshuayi £33m and Sissoko £30m just bit part players, Ayew £21m, Ndong £17m, Janssen £20m  etc etc they are probably all more concerned with the expensive flops their own teams have signed.

It's a shame he's had injuries as he gets in the right places to score and could knock in 15+ goals comfortably I think... despite his flaws.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly. 

My feeling is that Shakey is a good man to establish us in the Prem. I think he'd get rid of the players he didn't feel were pulling their weight and sign players that he thought would gel with the others and be 'solid' so to speak.

I may be wrong, but I just have the feeling he's that sort of bloke. One who knows the importance of laying the foundation stones on which to build, rather than trying to build Rome in a day.

I think we could have two years of comfort with him in charge, my worry is season three. Not just because of his inexperience, but we don't know what our scouting setup is like and whether they can still pick a player.

Pretty much our entire defence and strike force is getting to the point of transition. It's a tough call, but we probably need to start that now rather than later. If we don't we're going to end up with 6 or 7 starters all needing replacing at the same time.

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

When we're in a season where Pogba costs £90m, Stones costs £50m and are both average this year. Batshuayi £33m and Sissoko £30m just bit part players, Ayew £21m, Ndong £17m, Janssen £20m  etc etc they are probably all more concerned with the expensive flops their own teams have signed.

It's a shame he's had injuries as he gets in the right places to score and could knock in 15+ goals comfortably I think... despite his flaws.

Fair play Babs, I can't argue with that. Some amazing flops there!

I guess I was just hoping to see a brilliant striker in Slim, and have been generally let down so far.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Fair play Babs, I can't argue with that. Some amazing flops there!

I guess I was just hoping to see a brilliant striker in Slim, and have been generally let down so far.

Having seen the prices we'd been quoted for others and what players were going for in the summer, I'd resigned myself to £30m not buying you the world class talent it once did. Give it another 10 years and Schlupp will be going for £30m.  :D

10 hours ago, the fox said:

Our whole defense + vardy and okazaki are 30 or older, marc gonna be 28 by November, slimani gonna be 29 this summer. Unless you are ready to make a major change in the starting line-up, there is no way the players can keep up. Father time is undefeated.

I wish the footballing world would stop writing players off as soon as they reach 30. That was maybe relevant and true 20 years ago, but times have changed.

With the advances in the modern game including training methods, diet, recovery, nutrition, sports science etc, I'd suggest 35 is the new 30 these days.

I'd also suggest the likes of Shinji, Vards, Albrighton etc. are now in their prime rather than reaching the end of their careers.

Still plenty of quality players in the PL playing well into their mid-late 30's these days...

I could be wrong but I read somewhere our squad is the 4th or 5th oldest in the league. Man City and WBA were number 1 and 2 IIRC. 

Tottenham and Liverpool have the youngest squads.

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

I could be wrong but I read somewhere our squad is the 4th or 5th oldest in the league. 

And we're also the 4th or 5th quickest/fittest squad in the PL :thumbup:

I'd be really pissed off if we brought in anyone else. What more could he have done?

Some clubs can't wait to get rid of a manager who isn't a "name" and it leaves them in the shit. Newcastle with Hughton, Swansea with Monk etc. 

Keep Shakey, get Pearson in as no.2 :D 

Archived