Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

I wish the footballing world would stop writing players off as soon as they reach 30. That was maybe relevant and true 20 years ago, but times have changed.

With the advances in the modern game including training methods, diet, recovery, nutrition, sports science etc, I'd suggest 35 is the new 30 these days.

I'd also suggest the likes of Shinji, Vards, Albrighton etc. are now in their prime rather than reaching the end of their careers.

Still plenty of quality players in the PL playing well into their mid-late 30's these days...

like i said izzy, father time is undefeated. i'm not writing anyone off, i'm only acknowledging the fact that their bodies gonna give up one way or the other because of their style of play.

there is something called physical prime, and there is something called mental prime, those two primes usally cross roads between 27 and 31,  and after that its all down to the play style of said individual, i'm sorry but, marc's and shinji's main asset is their physical condition

i won't wait until one of them break down to start looking for replacements (or at least a different plan)
there are the odd cases (antonio valencia for example) but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Just now, Foxxed said:

1-But there's no reason we can't do it for the remainder of this season.

He seems to be not doing it because

1) He's taken your point and is moving away from the high press, or

2) He doesn't understand how important it is, or

3) Mystery option number three

2-If he is moving away then he needs a plan other than "just don't press high".

1-we can do it this season, and maybe we can even do it next season but, i want shakey to use those 4 games of real intense competition to try it out with the current players to see what position needs a change

2-a 3-5-2 has a better energy consumption level than the normal 4-4-2, there is less space between the lines and we can even afford the luxury of carrying 1 flair player without it being our achilles heel

Not sure what it is but I don't quite warm to Shakey like I did with Ranieri, Pearson or even Sven or Sousa.

I think the club needs to move forward and look ahead - the playing style needs to be developed as does the playing staff. The golden era is over so we should be beginning to reinvent ourselves and move forward. The average age needs to be brought down and I feel someone like Marco Silva would be a good, realistic fit with a good pedigree in Europe and what he is doing at Hull. 

Regardless, the owners will make the right call. If Shakey stays, then I reckon we will have a respectable season which is perfectly fine but it doesn't excite me or shows any ambition. 

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I wish the footballing world would stop writing players off as soon as they reach 30. That was maybe relevant and true 20 years ago, but times have changed.

With the advances in the modern game including training methods, diet, recovery, nutrition, sports science etc, I'd suggest 35 is the new 30 these days.

I'd also suggest the likes of Shinji, Vards, Albrighton etc. are now in their prime rather than reaching the end of their careers.

Still plenty of quality players in the PL playing well into their mid-late 30's these days...

You're right, I'd suggest most of them are more than capable of playing at their current levels for a while yet. My issue though, is that we can't afford to reach the point of needing to replace them all at the same point.

We should be looking at starting to replace some of them now with younger players who can offer something now. It allows us to integrate people slowly into the squad and no massive turn around needed.

This season it might be Was and Leo that are replaced in the squad. Next year Wes and Okazaki, the year after Huth and Fuchs. Etc Etc.

34 minutes ago, BigC said:

Not sure what it is but I don't quite warm to Shakey like I did with Ranieri, Pearson or even Sven or Sousa.

I think the club needs to move forward and look ahead - the playing style needs to be developed as does the playing staff. The golden era is over so we should be beginning to reinvent ourselves and move forward. The average age needs to be brought down and I feel someone like Marco Silva would be a good, realistic fit with a good pedigree in Europe and what he is doing at Hull. 

Regardless, the owners will make the right call. If Shakey stays, then I reckon we will have a respectable season which is perfectly fine but it doesn't excite me or shows any ambition. 

I wouldn't mind Silva. Done very well with one hand tied behind his back. We're a bigger club than Hull with better infrastructure and better players so it wouldn't be hard to get him. 

I'm fine with Shakespeare as well. 

As long as the manager appointment is a well thought out logical choice then I'm fine with it. I just don't want us to get a "big name" for the sake of it. 

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You're right, I'd suggest most of them are more than capable of playing at their current levels for a while yet. My issue though, is that we can't afford to reach the point of needing to replace them all at the same point.

We should be looking at starting to replace some of them now with younger players who can offer something now. It allows us to integrate people slowly into the squad and no massive turn around needed.

This season it might be Was and Leo that are replaced in the squad. Next year Wes and Okazaki, the year after Huth and Fuchs. Etc Etc.

Agreed with this, it's also important we don't sign replacements, we want to sign players better than we currently have in their position.

If we can pick up Maguire for Was, Siggurdsson for Leo as well as maybe a first choice CM (potentially James) and RB, not to say Simpson needs replacing, but he's not had any competition or good cover for 2 years now. 

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

lol

For anyone saying the past few matches have been uninspiring...what do you expect? There IS an opposition you know. We don't just turn up and win games. Look at his record for Christ's sake....some games won convincingly, playing attacking football, others won by grinding out results. 

'Last season was a one off, boys and girls...we didn't 'fluke it', but it was a massively unexpected outcome. Now you seem to think we have a divine right to turn anyone over, easily.

Shakey is solid, the players respect him, he knows them, he knows the club. Keep him and let's see what he can do when he develops his own squad.

It's ok Col, all the glory boys and girls will be offski in the summer anyway. Putting their Leicester shirts in the bottom draw and pulling out a Chelsea one for next season. 

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Ranieri was a well known name but he didn't exactly bring about a big reputation - don't forget the stick we got when we appointed him. It wasn't "wow what a coup" it was "what are they doing? He's past-it" which to be fair, looking at his last few years, seemed fair.

I still think we got massively lucky with Ranieri. Not lucky to win the league, we totally deserved it based on what happened on the pitch, but it was a complete wildcard from us, sort of understandable when Pearson ended up getting sacked just six weeks before the start of the new season. I think we gambled and got unbelievably lucky. There wasn't a single thing to suggest he was going to succeed here in my eyes.

I also don't know who you seriously see us attracting that fits your bill. Mourinho, Ancelotti and SImeone? lol why are any of them coming here?

Raineri is a name, well known and more successful than most. Although agree that he's not a huge brand like Mourinho et al. My point is more that to attract the kind of players that would have us finishing consistently in the top 5 or 6 with the odd season in the CL we need to improve the LCFC brand appeal. This is about where we are and what's it like to live here, what kind of lifestyle can a 20 something have with a 100k a week burning a hole in his pocket? Then its about how successful can the team be? What are the other players like? Internationals? With CL and national side honors? Can the manager attract these kind of players? Does he know them from past lives and does he have the right contacts to bring them in? And then it's about the money, what does it take to entice a great player away from the kings road and a high probability of CL football? Where one part of the package is weak the other has to be stronger.

Pearson went because of his arrogance and unpredictability, his son played no small part. Successful businessmen don't take uncalculated risks. Ranieri was a risk, but it was well thought out and it paid off. 

Owners see the LCFC brand as a huge PR and marketing program for their core business. So far they have had a huge boost in terms of brand awareness and corporate image back in Thailand, what they have paid so far has delivered value, winning the CL will multiply that by 100. 

Think big. 

1 hour ago, the fox said:

like i said izzy, father time is undefeated. i'm not writing anyone off, i'm only acknowledging the fact that their bodies gonna give up one way or the other because of their style of play.

there is something called physical prime, and there is something called mental prime, those two primes usally cross roads between 27 and 31,  and after that its all down to the play style of said individual, i'm sorry but, marc's and shinji's main asset is their physical condition

i won't wait until one of them break down to start looking for replacements (or at least a different plan)
there are the odd cases (antonio valencia for example) but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Just go around Europe, and see how many good 30+players are still churning it out, in the top Divisions.

Its not some new phenomenen, its been going on for decades.

I would just suggest,there are even more today more than holding their own.

Diats and the generral cutting down on Alcohol consumption, even in players free time.

AND contrary to some media looking for headlines, majority of profis today, dont go so OFTEN

out on the Raz. Once caught twice shy..also they actually dont see the need..

Alcohol is not in my Vodkabulary

Howevever I looked it up in

Whiskeypedia

and learned If you drink too much of it,

Its likely to....Tequilya

For the never say die fans...

I finally Quit drinking for good,

I found the true light..!!!

I have found it more satisfying

to drink for ... Evil

hic..:blink:

Just now, stix said:

It's ok Col, all the glory boys and girls will be offski in the summer anyway. Putting their Leicester shirts in the bottom draw and pulling out a Chelsea one for next season. 

glory supporters were out by january, unless a glory supporter for you is anyone that have ambition and wasn't here in the league one days.

just to put this out there, i was satisfied by last game's result. but to say that people wanting more is a sign of them being a "glory hunter" is ott

I wouldn't necessarily just give Shaky the job brilliant as he's been.

I'd want to hear his plan going forward on who he wants to replace, who he wants to bring in and what sort of style he wants us to play.

A cynic might say he's only done well as he's rehashed Ranieri's old tactics and got the players on side and this will fail long term. I would need to be impressed by Shaky's presentation of his vision for the team and club before I just handed him the job.

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I wouldn't necessarily just give Shaky the job brilliant as he's been.

I'd want to hear his plan going forward on who he wants to replace, who he wants to bring in and what sort of style he wants us to play.

A cynic might say he's only done well as he's rehashed Ranieri's old tactics and got the players on side and this will fail long term. I would need to be impressed by Shaky's presentation of his vision for the team and club before I just handed him the job.

Yeah he's gonna do a big PowerPoint after the Watford game 

Maybe I stand in a minority crowd, but I don't believe we're going to break down the doors and become a 'Top 6' club, because money matters and we'll likely never make enough of it to compete off the pitch with the £££ clubs of the PL.

Let's build an identity, first. If 4-4-2 and grit are that identity, so be it. At least we can go from there. We can become an English footy fan's quintessential English footy club.

This is *not* to say that we can't finish in the top 6 or higher on the pitch, qualify for EL and CL, etc.

1 hour ago, cecchini said:

Raineri is a name, well known and more successful than most. Although agree that he's not a huge brand like Mourinho et al. My point is more that to attract the kind of players that would have us finishing consistently in the top 5 or 6 with the odd season in the CL we need to improve the LCFC brand appeal. This is about where we are and what's it like to live here, what kind of lifestyle can a 20 something have with a 100k a week burning a hole in his pocket? Then its about how successful can the team be? What are the other players like? Internationals? With CL and national side honors? Can the manager attract these kind of players? Does he know them from past lives and does he have the right contacts to bring them in? And then it's about the money, what does it take to entice a great player away from the kings road and a high probability of CL football? Where one part of the package is weak the other has to be stronger.

Pearson went because of his arrogance and unpredictability, his son played no small part. Successful businessmen don't take uncalculated risks. Ranieri was a risk, but it was well thought out and it paid off. 

Owners see the LCFC brand as a huge PR and marketing program for their core business. So far they have had a huge boost in terms of brand awareness and corporate image back in Thailand, what they have paid so far has delivered value, winning the CL will multiply that by 100. 

Think big. 

We 'thought big' when we appointed Sven and spent 15 million pound that season, to watch performances like Millwall at home.

Fortunately, the owners sorted it just in time (they seem to make a habit of doing this), sacked Sven, appointed Nigel..and the rest as they say is history.

We DON'T just want to appoint a big name manager and hope that 'big signings will follow. We aren't Man City. I fundamentally disagree with your line of thought on this and find it potentially reckless. 

Last season was UNEXPECTED. It was divine intervention, it was a miracle..it was serendipity...

We are a building club. We are better when we appoint solid characters as managers, buy hard working players with potential and, maybe most importantly, ones that gel as a team. Shakey can continue this tradition.

Don't go and fook it all up by appointing Sven Mark 2.

5 hours ago, Koke said:

I could be wrong but I read somewhere our squad is the 4th or 5th oldest in the league. Man City and WBA were number 1 and 2 IIRC. 

Tottenham and Liverpool have the youngest squads.

It was something like that, but the ages were so close together that you could put a fag paper between about 15 of the 20 clubs.

On 04/04/2017 at 22:15, brucey said:

A few players have mentioned in interviews that Shakey's chances of getting the job longer term are dependent on the results till the end of the season.

They are clearly playing for him, and his future. Why take away a source of motivation?

He should get the job because he is the best manager For the job 

not because he is the players choice 

the vocal elements in the squad will soon retire or be sold and then we will need the best manager we can get 

Shaky is the best manager for this group of players BUT is he the best manager for the clubs long term future ??? 

That's the real question ! 

I suspect Shaky will be replaced ... just a feeling I have 

8 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

He should get the job because he is the best manager For the job 

not because he is the players choice 

the vocal elements in the squad will soon retire or be sold and then we will need the best manager we can get 

Shaky is the best manager for this group of players BUT is he the best manager for the clubs long term future ??? 

That's the real question ! 

I suspect Shaky will be replaced ... just a feeling I have 

I really hope you are wrong on this Gaelic. As usual I'm nailing my colours to the mast here and stating keeping Shakey is absolutely what we should do. At least for the foreseeable.

This club has done well with Shakey in the triumvirate :) , and needs a steady builder, NOT a miracle cure.  No doubt there are “big names” who would fit that bill.  But I fear most would be likely to usher in abrupt and improvisational changes, which can turn into a destructive feedback loop.

None of us are on the ground.  Most of you are closer than me; but from the 10,000-foot view I say

Foxy Will.png

3 hours ago, the fox said:

glory supporters were out by january.

Well you're still here, for now anyway.  

What made you decide to start supporting Leicester? In December 2015, when they were top of the table. At the age of 19. 

23 minutes ago, stix said:

Well you're still here, for now anyway.  

What made you decide to start supporting Leicester? In December 2015, when they were top of the table. At the age of 19. 

Bit unnecessary imo. The only way to grow our fan base is by being successful. Surely we do want a big fan base, right? We want to be a bigger club than we are.

If we get new supporters based on our success then all the better. Many of them will stick around for the long haul. 

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Bit unnecessary imo. The only way to grow our fan base is by being successful. Surely we do want a big fan base, right? We want to be a bigger club than we are.

If we get new supporters based on our success then all the better. Many of them will stick around for the long haul. 

Im winding him up

25 minutes ago, stix said:

1-Well you're still here, for now anyway.  

2-What made you decide to start supporting Leicester? In December 2015,when they were top of the table. At the age of 19. 

1-now now, don't get emotional on me

2-lollollol , December 2015 is the date I signed up in this forum, not the date I became a Leicester fan.

I don't get some people here, if I was glory hunter I would've choose a club a lot more successful with a greater history, a more stable PL status and with a lot less insecure people calling every new fan "a glory hunter"

Archived