Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Love Island

24 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I've made the perfectly valid point twice now that correlation isn't causation and to blame Love Island for their suicides is cheap supposition cos you don't like the show. You answered that by resorting to speak in a blanket derogatory way about people that appear on Love Island and I'm supposed to believe you give a rat's arse about them. 

Shall we talk about what they have to offer to being famous? The campaigns some of them have been involved with, the charities some of them are involved with, and the way some of them have used their profile positively. Or are those things only something to offer if you can sing as well. 

As I've said, the fame from those show isn't a 15 minute thing, it will last years if not all their life. And yes if you have no relevant talent, its very difficult to stay relevant without the gutter press looking delving into your life. Yes, promoting charities is great, but if you are offering nothing back, if your not entertaining people in someway or another then the press will look at other ways to put you in the papers. I'm not saying these people offer nothing in life, they clearly do, everyone does, but these are different type to those who go on x factor or BGT, they aren't going on tv to showcase a talent, and therefore once they leave the show theres little to no reason for them to keep appearing on tv.

So when you're in a situation like that where you want to stay famous, and the press want to keep writing about you, but you have no talent to keep you in that world of celebrity, other ways will be found to put you in the papers and talk about you. This is where shows like this need to do something to help these people. Can you imagine going from your life now, to even the most private aspect of your life, the most mundane thing to the biggest moments being splashed across the pages of a national newspapers. It's a huge change, and they need support.

And yes, I'm well aware that some contestants have gone on to have a media career, but that's not the norm for this show.

And saying people have nothing to offer to being famous isn't being derogatory. We can't all be famous, we don't all have an ability that entertains people. Everyone offers something to the world, I do, you do etc, i just can't sing, dance, do stand up, shit myself talking to large groups of people and I'm too old to be a sportsman, so I'm not expecting to be famous for anything any time soon.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

lol

The double standards when it comes to domestic abuse is ridiculous 

The irony of that though is that that is exactly what domestic abuse it. It wouldnt exist if people left or ran away from their partner after the first incident

(Well long lasting abuse wouldn't exist anyway)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Whilst I don’t think Love Island is strictly to blame for this, it’s an absolutely toxic show.

You only have to click on the hashtag to see the nasty shit that’s written about every contestant and presenter. 

As someone else said before my response (reason 2 below). The blame is for me equal parts The Sun "news" paper trying to be our moral barometer, when they have absolutely no right, and the fact that on Twitter it is perfectly acceptable to abuse people so badly. Trolls etc. Should be punished.

• Like 1

With three suicides,two former contestants and now a former presenter serious questions have to be asked about the level of care and consideration of the people on the show are getting. How many series of big brother did we have and we didn't get any suicides and that was a more stressful show you would think. This days society is making people instant celebrities of ordinary people who then struggle with all the attention and criticism that they get for being on a reality show, not to mention anyone now can become an armchair critic who say anything about someone without thinking or caring about the state of mind of the person they are tormenting.

21 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I agree it’s a joke of a show and distorts reality for shit loads of women in their 20s.

And men too, let's not forget that.

12 hours ago, Walkers said:

Just read someone say that yeah she made a mistake but she can't have hit/abused her boyfriend that badly if he still wanted to be with her

:nigel:

Seen plenty of this all over Facebook last night and this morning, idiots. 'She had mental issues, so it's understandable that she might have lashed out at her bf' If it was a bloke kicking the shit out of his missus with a lamp all these idiots would be saying the police and CPS doesn't do enough in domestic violence cases 'This is why women don't come forward'.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

With three suicides,two former contestants and now a former presenter serious questions have to be asked about the level of care and consideration of the people on the show are getting. How many series of big brother did we have and we didn't get any suicides and that was a more stressful show you would think. This days society is making people instant celebrities of ordinary people who then struggle with all the attention and criticism that they get for being on a reality show, not to mention anyone now can become an armchair critic who say anything about someone without thinking or caring about the state of mind of the person they are tormenting.

It's been notably improved since Mike's death according to previous contestants in the shows since then. So ask all the serious questions you want, Love Island's care and considerations etc isn't to blame here. It goes far beyond that. 

I tey not to get sucked in but here we go. You don't like it bin it.

I think they should do the same with eastenders and formula 1. Well i dont but if we expect the world to revolve around ourselves, it sounds like i should.

And then the follow up line. Because people are ***** and make shit up, ban the program. Happy to hear a better reason if you think you have one but can't help my low expectations on this one.

Edited by gw_leics772

2 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

I tey not to get sucked in but here we go. You don't like it bin it.

I think they should do the same with eastenders and formula 1. Well i dont but if we expect the world to revolve around ourselves, it sounds like i should.

And then the follow up line. Because people are ***** and make shit up, ban the program. Happy to hear a better reason if you think you have one but can't help my low expectations on this one.

Opinions and tastes vary. If you enjoy it, then that's up to you and I have no issue with anyone enjoying whatever the like to watch. Personally I'd bin it, but that's because I think it's cheap, manipulated crap with the "contestants" desperate for some kind of fame that they think comes with appearing on these shows. When 2 contestants and an ex-presenter kill themselves, for whatever reasons, then surely something isn't right. These kind of reality shows make "stars" out of ordinary people that cannot cope with the level of exposure of all aspects of their lives that the shit British media will expose them to. And, IMO, consumers of this shit makes things worse.

It's all about income generation for the media companies that devise, promote and pump out this rubbish. Unfortunately there is an audience for it largely created by falsely creating an impression of excitement and suspense. I have "intelligent" friends who watch these shows. I struggle to see why.

I have watched these shows myself so I'm not making ignorant comments out of prejudice. 

• Like 1

I haven't watched the past couple of years as the format got tired quickly - but it's a show that has this weird, obsessive level of fandom and attachment amongst a load of those that watch it. If a red top prints the slightest smear against one of the contestants, the amount of folk that jump on it and bombard their respective social media accounts with abuse is staggering and it must take its toll. Absolutely bizarre, aggressive pack mentality I don't think exists with any other show over here, certainly not to the same extent.

While I think the show itself is generally pretty harmless in terms of format etc - the posts in this thread take it in the spirit its intended, it's panto stuff really - but there's a massive share of its audience that are weapons and unfortunately I don't think that'll change.

Can't believe it's nearly finished.

Good job celebs go dating adverts have started. If it wasn't for my metrosexual taste in typically "girls tv" (according to the manly men dissing it on social media) me and my wife would have nothing in common.

I bloody love it. Doesn't seem long enough but hopefully like the summer one it will get longer.

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Just finished season 1 of Love Island australia which aired recently on ITV 2... ngl I bloody loved it lol way better than the UK one. 

I watched it too, loved it! Have you Googled what's happened to them since?