Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Love Island

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

crazy news, but not sure what it's got to do with love island 

Well I don't think they should cancel it because shes died, I think they should cancel it.

Seriously though, as other have just pointed out, Kyle was binned for lack of aftercare after one suicide. Two contestants have taken their own life after being on this. It shouldn't have come back this series.

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

She presented it? 

Yeah but her death isn't directly linked to her presenting it, apart from the fact she's famous for doing so. She had a troubled private life and was hounded by the media. This all might still have happened had she fronted Question Time.

The suicides of the contestants however, that's a different matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah but her death isn't directly linked to her presenting it, apart from the fact she's famous for doing so. She had a troubled private life and was hounded by the media. This all might still have happened had she fronted Question Time.

The suicides of the contestants however, that's a different matter.

Yeah I know. He asked what does it have to do with love island. It is relevant because she presented it. 

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah I know. He asked what does it have to do with love island. It is relevant because she presented it. 

It's relevant to mention her death in here, but her presenting it isn't relevant to her death.

37 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well I don't think they should cancel it because shes died, I think they should cancel it.

Seriously though, as other have just pointed out, Kyle was binned for lack of aftercare after one suicide. Two contestants have taken their own life after being on this. It shouldn't have come back this series.

Its a bit of a false equivalence, the Jeremy Kyle suicide was a matter of days later and the likelihood is it was directly responsible. The Love Island suicides happened 2 years and 18 months later in which time an ocean of water has flowed under the bridge. 

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Its a bit of a false equivalence, the Jeremy Kyle suicide was a matter of days later and the likelihood is it was directly responsible. The Love Island suicides happened 2 years and 18 months later in which time an ocean of water has flowed under the bridge. 

Theres also a world of difference in that one is a daytime tv show, watch by few people, the other is watched by millions. The lives of these love island contestants changes beyond recognition after appearing on this show and they go from nobody to being incredibly famous, and that doesn't go away in days. The show and ITV have a duty of care to these people long after they leave the show.

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Theres also a world of difference in that one is a daytime tv show, watch by few people, the other is watched by millions. The lives of these love island contestants changes beyond recognition after appearing on this show and they go from nobody to being incredibly famous, and that doesn't go away in days. The show and ITV have a duty of care to these people long after they leave the show.

And none of that means it needs cancelling, the aftercare was improved and may need improving again idk. But we might as well just end anything that thrusts people into the spotlight by that logic

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

And none of that means it needs cancelling, the aftercare was improved and may need improving again idk. But we might as well just end anything that thrusts people into the spotlight by that logic

One death is too many, it may need improving again isn't good enough, and its frankly a shit thing to say.

There's plenty of shows that thrust people into the limelight, but firstly not on this scale, and secondly, on other shows it's usually thrusting people with some form of talent into the limelight, people who have spent their lives being front a centre of their group, or performing on stage, singing in clubs or are extremely clever. Love island isn't attracting that kind of people is it, let's be honest, it attracting fame hungry people with very little to offer to being famous, other than looking good. It must be very hard when you can't sing, act, present, aren't funny and you have no sporting pedigree but the media still want a piece of you, and you're desperate to stay relevant 

• Like 1

The program had nothing to do with her death. Reality TV made her famous but the intrusion of the British media who are likely to have spun the truth about her private affairs to sell headlines are the real reason. 

I think like footballers having media training, it should be the same for the reality TV stars. A lot of them are young, naive and don't know what they're getting themselves into. They could benefit from the education before they are exposed to this side of fame. 

18 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

One death is too many, it may need improving again isn't good enough, and its frankly a shit thing to say.

There's plenty of shows that thrust people into the limelight, but firstly not on this scale, and secondly, on other shows it's usually thrusting people with some form of talent into the limelight, people who have spent their lives being front a centre of their group, or performing on stage, singing in clubs or are extremely clever. Love island isn't attracting that kind of people is it, let's be honest, it attracting fame hungry people with very little to offer to being famous, other than looking good. It must be very hard when you can't sing, act, present, aren't funny and you have no sporting pedigree but the media still want a piece of you, and you're desperate to stay relevant 

Its not a shit thing to say, idk if its currently good enough, there hasn't been a suicide since they 

So the reports around Mike's suicide were that he wasn't dealing with the death of his Grandma who he had been caring for. Idk if that's what the cause was in the end but I don't see how that's the fault of Love Island. I have no idea what caused Sophie to take her life, there was talk of trolling in which case the focus should be on those ***** as the cause rather than the fact she was on TV. In fact I'd say that people that say of other people that they have "very little to offer" are a bigger problem than a TV programme. 

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Its not a shit thing to say, idk if its currently good enough, there hasn't been a suicide since they 

So the reports around Mike's suicide were that he wasn't dealing with the death of his Grandma who he had been caring for. Idk if that's what the cause was in the end but I don't see how that's the fault of Love Island. I have no idea what caused Sophie to take her life, there was talk of trolling in which case the focus should be on those ***** as the cause rather than the fact she was on TV. In fact I'd say that people that say of other people that they have "very little to offer" are a bigger problem than a TV programme. 

I won't continue a discussion with someone who take a few words out of context. If you want to to continue by making valid points and not misquoting me, I'll reply properly.

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Considering what happened with the Jeremy Kyle Show, not sure how they can justify continuing this.

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Jeremy Kyle only had to kill one person before it was binned so surely this muck has to go? Into serial killer territory now.

A guy literally died on the set of that show. 

Flack's death has very little, if anything to do with Love Island. To link it to the 2 deaths of previous 'contestants' as well does everyone an injustice. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A guy literally died on the set of that show. 

Flack's death has very little, if anything to do with Love Island. To link it to the 2 deaths of previous 'contestants' as well does everyone an injustice. 

I suppose for Flack's point of view it must have been heartbreaking to go from a week away from flying out to South Africa to film another series, then suddenly being arrested and then having to watch someone else doing your job at home. I don't think the series will be axed, I will be awakard ending to the series I can imagine.

It really hasn't much to do with Love Island at all. This whole scenario has been car crash after car crash. It's time to cancel cancel culture. People mess up, it's ok to mess up, if they've committed a criminal offence then let the police do their job and let them do their job privately. Don't drag victims or perpetrators. If they're a rapist or murderer then the law will cancel them. Flack deserved better, at the very least press anonymity until the court proceedings were finished with. 

• Like 2

The media monster rolls on just printing money, lives aren’t as important as stories. She isn’t the first nor likely to be the last victim and she has been catastrophically failed by the system. The irony is the suicide only feeds the monster and continues the cycle.

Seann Walsh was savaged by the  media for making a mistake too, thankfully their hard on for him went away. The whole culture of anyone in the public eye needing to be perfect needs to stop.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I won't continue a discussion with someone who take a few words out of context. If you want to to continue by making valid points and not misquoting me, I'll reply properly.

I've made the perfectly valid point twice now that correlation isn't causation and to blame Love Island for their suicides is cheap supposition cos you don't like the show. You answered that by resorting to speak in a blanket derogatory way about people that appear on Love Island and I'm supposed to believe you give a rat's arse about them. 

Shall we talk about what they have to offer to being famous? The campaigns some of them have been involved with, the charities some of them are involved with, and the way some of them have used their profile positively. Or are those things only something to offer if you can sing as well.