Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

33 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Put the ball on his head in the box and most the time he will score.

I've been impressed with his off the ball work in pre season so far too, he seems to be chasing a lot more than he used to. Maybe thinking he's got a point to prove?

he definitely looks sharp and fit

1sxrv4.gif

42 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Slimani is an enigma. Outside the box his desire and ability to use his head to win flick ons or 50/50s is non existent. Inside the box his head is like a magnet. A real throwback player. 

We undoubtedly overpaid for him but he is a goal scorer. 

Yesterday I was trying to think of a modern day forward who I'd compare Slim to.

The most recent example I could come up with was Duncan Ferguson when he was at Everton.

Where do people get the idea that he doesn't work hard? Every time i've seen him he's charged around like a madman. He's so much better than Ulloa, that's not even a debate.. it's just where they fit in the squad. I'd rather have a relatively happy Ulloa on the bench week in week out than a pissed off Slimani on huge money. 

9 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yesterday I was trying to think of a modern day forward who I'd compare Slim to.

The most recent example I could come up with was Duncan Ferguson when he was at Everton.

All big Dunc want's for Christmas is.........

his two front teeth

his two front teeth

his two front teeth

12 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

He reminds more of Andy Gray former sky sports pundit. Very Good in the air but not as aggressive as big Dunc.

Just now, Col city fan said:

Thanks for letting us know Andy Gray was 'a former sky sports pundit'...

lol

There were 2 Andy Gray's one was black one was white both footballers. Some of the younger guys may not of known Andy Gray was a footballer in the 70's and 80's. They may only remember the black guy from the 90's early 00's who was nothing like Slim hence the sky sports comment.

I am utterly torn with Slimani. A bit like so many were with Beckford. 

When you watch him play, you think how the Hell did he ever score the goals he has done? But you just know if we sold him, the sod would go and net 20 in a season for the new club.

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

There are some really over the top comments on here.....because the bloke scored a header.

If he didn't score a headed goal I'd be very excited. 

In the current market transfer fees are a distraction. I think Slimani is a good goal scorer but not necessarily a good player. 

1 hour ago, foxoffderby said:

There were 2 Andy Gray's one was black one was white both footballers. Some of the younger guys may not of known Andy Gray was a footballer in the 70's and 80's. They may only remember the black guy from the 90's early 00's who was nothing like Slim hence the sky sports comment.

Good point well made.. 

I think Slimani is a very similar player to Rondon at WBA - big battering ram of a striker lethal with his head. 

Like Rondon, big money was spent on him and like Rondon, he needs a season to adapt from a foreign league.

Slimani vs Man City is the striker I would love to have in the team every week and that's him at his best even though he didn't score.

i think people would have liked him a lot more if he was from the UK. and i don't mean that in a bad way or am i calling people racists,not at all! if a player's name was nigel robson, had a limited first touch, ran a bit weird, was an aggressive battering ram and scored those sweaty headers he would have been what people call a " cult hero".just the idea of someone called clive,robert or nigel..etc who looks like a man you would find headbutting people in the middle of a fight, "technically" limited  but has that mean look, gets under other fan's skin and scores those goals that you just think to yourself "that wasnt the prettiest of goals! but it made the win even sweater" endears him to the english supporters heart. 

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

i think people would have liked him a lot more if he was from the UK. and i don't mean that in a bad way or am i calling people racists,not at all! if a player's name was nigel robson, had a limited first touch, ran a bit weird, was an aggressive battering ram and scored those sweaty headers he would have been what people call a " cult hero".just the idea of someone called clive,robert or nigel..etc who looks like a man you would find headbutting people in the middle of a fight, "technically" limited  but has that mean look, gets under other fan's skin and scores those goals that you just think to yourself "that wasnt the prettiest of goals! but it made the win even sweater" endears him to the english supporters heart. 

Basically Stevie Howard mate lol 

2 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

I think Slimani is a very similar player to Rondon at WBA - big battering ram of a striker lethal with his head. 

Like Rondon, big money was spent on him and like Rondon, he needs a season to adapt from a foreign league.

Slimani vs Man City is the striker I would love to have in the team every week and that's him at his best even though he didn't score.

i can see the similarities but he's not nearly as good as Rondon on the Ball.

if 'we're to get the best from Slim we need to play two wingers Gray and Mahrez or else Two wing backs. Chilwell and Albrighton. That's what I would do.

But I don't see Shakey changing our system anytime soon.

3 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

There was also another Andy Gray more recently who played for Leeds, Forest, Sheff U, Sunderland and Burnley amongst others. Which reiterates your point further.

4 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

i can see the similarities but he's not nearly as good as Rondon on the Ball.

if 'we're to get the best from Slim we need to play two wingers Gray and Mahrez or else Two wing backs. Chilwell and Albrighton. That's what I would do.

But I don't see Shakey changing our system anytime soon.

Spot on. Slim is nowhere near as good as Rondon as an out and out target man. The role that Pulis asks Rondon to play is a massively difficult one. To win the ball up top, hold it up and bring in oncoming midfielders. And to score goals. Rondon is very good at this. I dread to think how we'd look with just Slimani up top for us.

19 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Spot on. Slim is nowhere near as good as Rondon as an out and out target man. The role that Pulis asks Rondon to play is a massively difficult one. To win the ball up top, hold it up and bring in oncoming midfielders. And to score goals. Rondon is very good at this. I dread to think how we'd look with just Slimani up top for us.

Ok, but have we ever tried this approach?

It might actually suit Slimani

wasnt slimani an out and out target man for Sporting?

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

A bullet header vs west ham is what slimani up top as a lone striker looks like.

Archived