Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

56 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Good you're not his mentor then, he'd to learn again what he's already good at.

His real weakness is his first touch, which can be let's say it gently... lacking. You could add the shooting technique which could be really improved. As for the flicks on, no comment.

Point is .... he's  had an opportunity to understand what he needs to sort out.  If he does so then great.  If he doesn't then he is a fool. 

We paid what we paid.... the issue going fwd is .... how much use can he be?

If he doesn't try he wont know and we won't know.

40 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Reality is that Slimani isn't going to displace Vardy from the side. That means he is competing Shinji to start behind him. I was excited when we first signed him because we were told he works hard like Shinji but he absolutely doesn't, half the time he lumbers around the pitch without any of the intelligence Shinji plays with with his pressing and link up play. Once Kelechi is over the line we have someone who can play with Vardy with real pace and skill. Even when he comes off the bench he doesn't have a gung ho bastard whirlwind type effect for 30 minutes like Leo usually does.

I'll honestly never understand people criticising a striker because they think they don't work hard enough (allegedly) despite the fact they consistently score goals. 

We as a fan base have always been the same. Love a try hard, but hate moody players because we think "they don't care". Mahrez is a ****ing prime example. 

1 hour ago, fleckneymike said:

Players are tracked all over the pitch (how do you think they arrive at heat maps and distance run stats). Runs off the ball are studied both offensively and defensively (so I'm afraid I completely disagree with your point )

Yes I agree Heat maps show a players running during a game. But it doesn't show if it was effective or not.

For instance Mahrez ran back to the edge of the box against Liverpool, but did he do anything to prevent Courtino setting up the goal. No he didn't, he just stood and let him move away with the Ball. So his running back was pointless, But more importantly worthless.

I've never seen a stat that will do that but then I'm old school but always willing to learn.

1 hour ago, Lcfcwigstonblue said:

Slimani wasn't signed from stats he was definitely not a Walsh recommendation.

Ahem. Taken from the Telegraph after his home debut against Burnley. 

"The Algeria international was scouted by Leicester for two years – after being recommended by former head of recruitment Steve Walsh – before a protracted deal was finally agreed with Sporting Lisbon the day before the transfer deadline."

Slim was indeed scouted and targeted by Walsh, but Walsh also recommended that we pay no more than 15m for him. 

I think he is worth 30m though, maybe we overpaid slightly last summer, but certainly he's worth that at this summer's prices. 

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Reality is that Slimani isn't going to displace Vardy from the side. That means he is competing Shinji to start behind him. I was excited when we first signed him because we were told he works hard like Shinji but he absolutely doesn't, half the time he lumbers around the pitch without any of the intelligence Shinji plays with with his pressing and link up play. Once Kelechi is over the line we have someone who can play with Vardy with real pace and skill. Even when he comes off the bench he doesn't have a gung ho bastard whirlwind type effect for 30 minutes like Leo usually does.

lol

Ahem. Taken from the Telegraph after his home debut against Burnley. 

"The Algeria international was scouted by Leicester for two years – after being recommended by former head of recruitment Steve Walsh – before a protracted deal was finally agreed with Sporting Lisbon the day before the transfer deadline."

Interesting as it was only two weeks ago that John Percy said he wasn't who obviously also works for the Telegraph.

15 minutes ago, Lcfcwigstonblue said:

Interesting as it was only two weeks ago that John Percy said he wasn't who obviously also works for the Telegraph.

I can't find that article, could you add a link?

Heat maps are the result of all the data and can and are broken down into individual moves/moments. Clubs use gps and cameras to track player movements and assess effectiveness. 

4 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Heat maps are the result of all the data and can and are broken down into individual moves/moments. Clubs use gps and cameras to track player movements and assess effectiveness. 

He tweeted it the other I'll have a look.

2 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Banter.

22 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Tweets from the other week, Percy is  very reliable as well not often does he make a statement without the facts.

IMG_0326.PNG

2 hours ago, Lcfcwigstonblue said:

Slimani wasn't signed from stats he was definitely not a Walsh recommendation.

He most definitely was. 

4 minutes ago, Lcfcwigstonblue said:

Tweets from the other week, Percy is  very reliable as well not often does he make a statement without the facts.

IMG_0326.PNG

Cheers. That's not quite the same as not a Walsh signing though. Musa remains the biggest blot; though if you find three of the greatest Leicester players ever in Kante, Vardy and Mahrez for less than £10m combined then you'll forever be a Saint. 

3 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Was he signed on a recommendation from Riyad?

No. He signed on recommendation from Riyad, as in Riyad convinced him to come to Likkle Leicester.

9 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

how oddly beautiful is it that we've come this far as a team, i'd have never thought we'd be complaining about a proven goalscorer being not good enough for us!

Yakubu?

Slimani will be a goal machine, if we sell him to a PL club, we WILL regret it

At least Slimani was more effective at scoring goals last season than Ulloa, Okazaki, and Musa combined. (not hating on Musa though, he needs a better chance) Slimani is also a hard worker judging from the preseason and he will do well next season. I can see him scoring double figures next season if Leicester aren't poor. He's a proven goalscorer.

What halted Slimani was Leicester's shit season in general and his groin injury problems. He's a real threat, especially in the air, and we should NOT write him off at all.

Please don't compare Slimani to Ulloa because Slimani is much better, a little younger, and doesn't go out on social media and say that he will not play for the club again.

28 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Yakubu?

Slimani will be a goal machine, if we sell him to a PL club, we WILL regret it

In some sense I can see your comparison in terms of fans not liking them both due to being considered 'just goalscorers'. I think slim has a lot more to his game than meets the eye, he's got a high chance of winning the ball for our team, also has a great turn of pace for a big lad and technically isn't as bad as people make out, I think if given a run of games he'll prove to be a fan favourite.

20 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

So true, I tried to spread him on my bread the other day and the arsehole just ended up in a blob in the middle.

Coming from North Africa, he's used to warmer climates.  You should have tried him on toast.

9 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

If i was slimanis mentor i would sit snd work thru what has been learnt in his first pl season.  Then devise a program to work on the things he needs.... strength... decision making... running into the box... shooting from the edge if the box... winning the ball in the air and laying it off....  linking with mids.. .laying off to wings etc.

His response to these issues will define his tragectory 

I think he's pretty decent with the items I bolded.  Seems a very natural finisher to me - a real Fennec in the box, poacher style - but needs service. Look at the goal he scored against LFC - oh wait.  PRESEASON DOESN'T COUNT (except when it does). 

I like him a lot as a player, I just wonder how we will use him.  In theory, we have some great crossers of the ball in terms of Albrighton, Mahrez and Fuchs, and when he's had the ball put in, he's put it away more times than not.  It's how he will play WITH Vardy, that's key for me.  I actually think he'd link with Iheanacho better for some reason (just a gut feeling) - NO, that does not mean I hate Vardy and want him dropped by the way! 

I'll honestly never understand people criticising a striker because they think they don't work hard enough (allegedly) despite the fact they consistently score goals.   

Those people should have seen Mário Jardel playing/scoring goals.

Best striker ever in heading.

It was a goal scoring machine.

If you watched him play only in 1 or 2 games he looked like he was always just waiting, waiting and waiting a bit more.

But someone who scores >40 goals per season needs to be a striker that is always running?

He was outstanding doing what he was supposed to do: scoring.

But also Mário Jardel was quite unique.

If Slimani is in a 'Good' heading level, Jardel was in a Legendary Level.

Don't know if [mention=27286]Eagle10[/mention] remembers him.

Still a good and prolifc stricker as Slimani doesn't need to run that much, considering that he is the stricker/'9'. But Slimani do run sometimes, and fight for ball possession.

In second season in Sporting CP he improved a lot. Really, a lot.

I hope he improves in Leicester City too, and shows what he's capable of.

Archived