Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

It doesn't need to be rotational if the player is playing well and the team is winning and the player is fit.

For me a big problem last season was that when Vardy was shit he was still the first name on the team sheet. If that's the case then we have no hope anyway. The vardy of the last 25% of the season was fantastic the vardy for most of the first 70% shouldn't have been in the team.

This is only my opinion please don't start a flame war with me.

I think we can all agree that there was more wrong with the team than just vards for the first 25 games 

no argument with you, just the way I see it. We aren't a top five club re wage structure (like Spurs) so can't expect players who consider themselves to be 'first choice' to sit around most games. It's a problem for teams like ours to make the jump to be consistently able to challenge for top four and then be able to stay there re squad depth/quality 

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think that West Ham paying 15m for Hernandez and us 30 for Slimani (and that was at the start of LAST season) is suggestive of us rather having had our pants pulled down.

He was clearly a last minute panic buy and if the rumours are true to help keep sulky Mahrez happy aswell. :blink:

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I think that West Ham paying 15m for Hernandez and us 30 for Slimani (and that was at the start of LAST season) is suggestive of us rather having had our pants pulled down.

Shall we see how he does first? He scored less goals than Kramaric last season and less than Okazaki got at Mainz, there are no guarantees it translates to this league.

The deal is also £20m rising to £24m and by all accounts he's earning north of £130k a week.

Assuming Iheanacho comes then I think the ideal situation for us is to sell Slimani and Musa and go with Ulloa and Okazaki as back up.

Whilst we know Ulloa and Okazaki aren't world beaters they can be trusted and they bring variety to our four strikers. Forest are about to pay £2m for 34 year old Daryl Murphy so Ulloa and Okazaki still can maintain a decent transfer fee in a year's time if we look to upgrade on either of them. 

With no European football Ulloa and Okazaki won't get much game time unless there's an injury so I think we're in a relatively ideal situation with those front four.

Slimani is vital for indirect both free-kicks and corners.

Without him, these areas of the game may well go to waste as we'd missing the big presence like Slimani to suit these situations.

If Mahrez does go, Slimani could be found lost in both translation and also being the pecking order eventually (the latter certainly when Iheanacho comes).

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Slimani is vital for indirect both free-kicks and corners.

Without him, these areas of the game may well go to waste as we'd missing the big presence like Slimani to suit these situations.

If Mahrez does go, Slimani could be found lost in both translation and also being the pecking order eventually (the latter certainly when Iheanacho comes).

We now have Maguire and Iborra as big presences.

Benny also speaks French (although arguably his English isn't much better than Slim's)

If it's a choice between keeping Slimani or Ulloa we would have to let Ulloa go in my view.

There is little to choose between them, however we've already seen everything that Ulloa has to offer but we've yet to see the potential of Slimani really brought out.

21 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:
17 minutes ago, brucey said:

We now have Maguire and Iborra as big presences.

Benny also speaks French (although arguably his English isn't much better than Slim's)

We also have N'Didi n Huth. I personally think if we can get the delivery right from set pieces, we could be lethal.

3 hours ago, Worthington said:

Sort of agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of two scenarios were to develop:

1); Looking to sign an upgrade.... or, more likely,

2): Going to change the tactical structure of the team (hence our still apparently seeking a BTB midfielder) !!

Any upgrade is unknown. Tactical changes could happen but ultimately Okazaki is our get out of jail free card. He plays we get points. Maybe next season if we do well without him

Slim is a limited player, his overall play he offers little to the team apart from holding up play but get the ball in the box to him especially in the air and 9 times out of 10 he will bag. 

We did get ripped off with his price tag last season but would definitely want to keep him here. With our style of play he isn't good enough to play as either a 9 or 10 from the start, 20/30 mins sub appearances should be his contribution - get the ball into the box when teams are sitting deep or used as a defender during set pieces. 

19 minutes ago, EGBFitness said:

Slim is a limited player, his overall play he offers little to the team apart from holding up play but get the ball in the box to him especially in the air and 9 times out of 10 he will bag. 

We did get ripped off with his price tag last season but would definitely want to keep him here. With our style of play he isn't good enough to play as either a 9 or 10 from the start, 20/30 mins sub appearances should be his contribution - get the ball into the box when teams are sitting deep or used as a defender during set pieces. 

He is good to play at the 9 position with your style of play, the 10 position he isn't unfortunately. He isn't that limited, his feet aren't the best that is a fact but they aren't terrible, he is fast for a big lad and works hard, and of course has that aerial threat. And one thing is for sure, he isn't a player to have on the bench, he is one to be on the starting 11, otherwise sell him.

All he does is score goals (that's not true he does much more but who can really complain about his goal scoring record even in his infrequent run outs for us).

Another class or 2 above Ulloa.

Still he is the bench option when we sign Iheanacho.

10 minutes ago, FIF said:

All he does is score goals (that's not true he does much more but who can really complain about his goal scoring record even in his infrequent run outs for us).

Another class or 2 above Ulloa.

Still he is the bench option when we sign Iheanacho.

Would it be wise to keep a player like Slimani in the bench? He has 29 years old, you either recoup some money or it was a waste of £29m. I get why people prefer to keep Ulloa, Ulloa isn't on high wages, he is ok with coming from the bench and he isn't nowhere near the value of Slim. That is my point of view, either keep him to play him regularly or sell him.

Archived