Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

Just now, Abrasive fox said:

Fairly well documented but he kicked off because Ranieri explicitly told him they wouldn't sign another striker and then they did, and various other promises which were unfulfilled (new contract for one). It was a very personal fall out.

Leo is a very popular member of the dressing room.

I know, I was only teasing... I tried and failed to make light of it with the smiley emoji.

6 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I do get your point but it's Fairly well documented but he kicked off because Ranieri explicitly told him they wouldn't sign another striker and then they did, and various other promises which were unfulfilled (new contract for one). It was a very personal fall out.

Leo is a very popular member of the dressing room.

I wonder who it was who Ranieri claimed was working behind the scenes to get rid of him....:whistle:

1 hour ago, seenitall said:

Hilarious that some think Leo is a better bet than Slim - light years apart in taking chances and I think we've seen the best of Leo, not got close to that with Slimani yet, needs a good manager, over to you Shakey (or your replacement after Xmas)

Agreed with you (until the brackets part) 

Shouldn't sell Slimani. We should have four quality centre forwards to choose from. Ulloa or Shinji should be sold. I see Musa as an attacking winger (good for a 4-2-3-1, as one in the '3') so, not involving him in the striker equation. Okazaki was a good no.10 for a very specific role in a very specific set up during the title win season, but I think we need to adapt now.

I still believe that Slimani is a great forward offering something none of the others do, closest is Ulloa who is a level below and should be sold off to a prem struggler or championship side. It was easy to see the frustration in his play at the end of last season and even in the WBA game. I'd like to keep him and get him regular time but I can't see that with Vardy back to form and Iheanacho coming in. I'd have him off the bench for a change of strategy behind those two. He's certainly far better than Ulloa or Okazaki.

However I think with Mahrez on the way out of the door he'll feel alone and I'm not really sure that Shakey has bought into him. If he goes there is no way we get the fee we paid back. 

I can see him going, and making us pay by excelling with another prem team but I hope he stays.

Its possible that Shakey hasnt bought into him.  But its only speculation about him needing Mahrez to feel comfortable.  Speculation fuelled by the fact that they're both Algerian.  Pretty obtuse thinking

And I remember hearing that Slimani stopped driving to training with Mahrez because Mahrez was always late.  He's a grown man, dont think Mahrez is as large a factor in his world as is suggested by some in here

1 minute ago, Worthington said:

Totally agree. Have been thinking which forward we could best afford to lose. Gonna upset some, but I'd say Shinji. Honest as the day is long and works harder than just about anyone but, his scoring contribution is borderline poor/average.... What bothers me too is that he hardly ever manages the 'full 90', meaning if he's selected to start, one of our three 'subs' is already spoken for! Been good for us, but can't see him improving! Possibly time for "sayonara" !

There's absolutely no way we should get rid of Shinji. He offers something completely different from the others.

We need shinji to stay for this campaign. . If we run into a bad patch of form then he is the key to playing 'our way' which may be required to get us back on track. Also, we haven't seen him able to play a different way as he is always tasked with  neutralising the opposition holding midfielders . 

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

There's absolutely no way we should get rid of Shinji. He offers something completely different from the others.

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We need shinji to stay for this campaign. . If we run into a bad patch of form then he is the key to playing 'our way' which may be required to get us back on track. Also, we haven't seen him able to play a different way as he is always tasked with  neutralising the opposition holding midfielders . 

Kinda agree, therefore it's time say bye bye to Ulloa, surely?

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don't believe slim will be happy to stay to sit on the bench and be plan B or C 

leo will 

thats the  fundamental point here 

I would definitely say keep Slimani over Ulloa. However, the more I think about it, it does also make sense to sell him whilst we might still be able to re-coup the money we spent on him. He's 29 and unless he is going to start regularly it doesn't make sense to keep him. Would be nice to see him get a good run in the starting line up with full fitness though but who do u drop...dont see it happening.

32 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

What? A striker who can't score?

He's a real hard worker but maybe he should move to midfield then.

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don't believe slim will be happy to stay to sit on the bench and be plan B or C 

leo will 

thats the  fundamental point here 

But Leo isn't good enough to sit on the bench anymore. Not if we have top 8 aspirations which we must have.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

But Leo isn't good enough to sit on the bench anymore. Not if we have top 8 aspirations which we must have.

I agree 100% but the reality is that unless you are going to pay the six figure sums that the top five pay for squad players, good strikers won't want to come and sit on the bench. Spurs have that problem recruiting a backup for Kane. 

Just now, st albans fox said:

I agree 100% but the reality is that unless you are going to pay the six figure sums that the top five pay for squad players, good strikers won't want to come and sit on the bench. Spurs have that problem recruiting a backup for Kane. 

With the silly money in the prem and europe at the moment I don't think paying the salary for rotation players is a problem. If we make it back into europe it's chicken feed.

10 minutes ago, FIF said:

With the silly money in the prem and europe at the moment I don't think paying the salary for rotation players is a problem. If we make it back into europe it's chicken feed.

Paying the money isn't a problem.....persuading top class players to accept a secondary role is.

13 minutes ago, FIF said:

What? A striker who can't score?

He's a real hard worker but maybe he should move to midfield then.

His lack of goalscoring is a major negative, but his energy, work rate and off-the-ball runs enable Vardy to do what he does best. I'm not saying he should be a regular starter - hopefully Iheanacho will be the 1st choice support striker - but for certain types of games Shinji can still be very effective. None of the other strikers can play that role in quite the same way.

Just now, PaulW said:

Paying the money isn't a problem.....persuading top class players to accept a secondary role is.

I agree but you don't sell it as a secondary role. It's a rotational role where he is as important as Vards. If he was fit last season I'd like to have seen him replace Vards for the first 70% of the season.

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

His lack of goalscoring is a major negative, but his energy, work rate and off-the-ball runs enable Vardy to do what he does best. I'm not saying he should be a regular starter - hopefully Iheanacho will be the 1st choice support striker - but for certain types of games Shinji can still be very effective. None of the other strikers can play that role in quite the same way.

I know it sounds like I don't like Okazaki, I do. But if Mahrez plays like last season then we only have Vardy who can actually score. We need our second striker to be a goal threat not a hard working ball chaser. That should be the midfield quartet.

In reality Okazaki was playing a midfield role last season and too often the game passed him by.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

I agree but you don't sell it as a secondary role. It's a rotational role where he is as important as Vards. If he was fit last season I'd like to have seen him replace Vards for the first 70% of the season.

If you'd have done that, we would now have 100+ pages speculating on who Vardy was going to sign for, (again!)

59 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Totally agree. Have been thinking which forward we could best afford to lose. Gonna upset some, but I'd say Shinji. Honest as the day is long and works harder than just about anyone but, his scoring contribution is borderline poor/average.... What bothers me too is that he hardly ever manages the 'full 90', meaning if he's selected to start, one of our three 'subs' is already spoken for! Been good for us, but can't see him improving! Possibly time for "sayonara" !

Don't think we are ready to not have Shinji. He's our go to guy when we are on a bad run. If in doubt go 442 with Shinji and Vards and we pick up points

20 minutes ago, FIF said:

But it isn't rotational at the moment because JV is always going to be one of the first names on the team sheet (like Kane is for Spurs). Decent Players know this and will only accept it if they are being paid 120k+

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

But it isn't rotational at the moment because JV is always going to be one of the first names on the team sheet (like Kane is for Spurs). Decent Players know this and will only accept it if they are being paid 120k+

It doesn't need to be rotational if the player is playing well and the team is winning and the player is fit.

For me a big problem last season was that when Vardy was shit he was still the first name on the team sheet. If that's the case then we have no hope anyway. The vardy of the last 25% of the season was fantastic the vardy for most of the first 70% shouldn't have been in the team.

This is only my opinion please don't start a flame war with me.

Archived