Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

BBC Salaries Published (and general rants about the licence fee)

The one i found most surprising was Zoe Ball's being so low in comparison with some others. She's been around the BBC for a while now and I would have hoped she'd got a bit more than that actually. There's certainly a few names on the list who are good value for what they do - and of course, others who are very overpaid for what they do.

So, now the question is who's going to setup the online petition to get Chris Evans sacked so we could all save 20 quid a year off our license fee? :ph34r:

1 minute ago, MattP said:

You don't get put into prison if you refuse to pay to contribute towards a footballers wage because you want to watch Wimbledon. I'm not sure how hard that is to understand.

Just pointing out the irony.

I do understand the difference, but this isn't a thread about being forced to pay the license fee, it is about paying for talent and apart from Lineker, Evans and a few others most of them are paid less than what some of our footballers earn in a month.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

150 k for McEnroe for 2 weeks work?

Fooks sake.

Actually the BBC broadcast 6 tennis tournaments from all around the world:

Broadcasting Contracts for Tennis (Television)
Event Broadcaster Broadcast Details
Majors
Wimbledon BBC Live, and extensive highlights, until 2024[33]
Eurosport Daily highlights and live coverage of the finals until 2020
US Open Eurosport Live until 2017[34]
French Open ITV Live until 2018[35] Majority of coverage broadcast on ITV4 with the finals being shown on the main ITV network
Eurosport Live until 2021[34]
Australian Open Eurosport Live until 2021[36]
BBC Highlights
ATP
ATP World Tour Finals Sky Sports All matches live until 2017
BBC Live coverage of afternoon sessions and the final until 2018
ATP World Tour
ATP World Tour Sky Sports Various live tournaments through the calendar until 2018
Eurosport Live coverage of several tournaments through the tour
WTA
WTA Tour BT Sport Live coverage of 52 tournaments per year until 2019
Other Tournaments
Queen's Club Championships BBC Live until 2024[37]
Eurosport Live until 2017
Eastbourne International BBC Live until 2024
Eurosport Live until 2017
International Premier Tennis League Sky Sports Live coverage
Davis Cup BBC Live coverage of Great Britain matches until 2017
Federation Cup BT Sport Live on BT Sport
Hopman Cup Eurosport Live until 2017

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Just pointing out the irony.

I do understand the difference, but this isn't a thread about being forced to pay the license fee, it is about paying for talent and apart from Lineker, Evans and a few others most of them are paid less than what some of our footballers earn in a month.

But where is the irony? Footballers train almost every day. Do you think they just turn at half 2 on a Saturday and go home?

In what way is this comparable to fronting a highlights show for an hour a week?

Just now, MattP said:

But where is the irony? Footballers train almost every day. Do you think they just turn at half 2 on a Saturday and go home?

In what way is this comparable to fronting a highlights show for an hour a week?

Do you think that actors and presenters just turn up for half an hour film and go home?

Overpaid is overpaid, footballers are massively overpaid, despite their dedication and sacrifices it is an obscene amount of money that we continue to fund by going to matches, subscribing to Sky and BT and making the premier league the most watched league in the world. BBC talent is also overpaid for what they do, but nothing like to the extent that footballers are.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I presume this is sarcasm? £1.8 million to present a football highlights show and the odd live match once a week for 9 months?

He doesn't even have to think on his feet like the news or political presenters. 

But he has an ex-wife and kids to support lol Unlike normal folk who don't have partners and kids

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Do you think that actors and presenters just turn up for half an hour film and go home?

Overpaid is overpaid, footballers are massively overpaid, despite their dedication and sacrifices it is an obscene amount of money that we continue to fund by going to matches, subscribing to Sky and BT and making the premier league the most watched league in the world. BBC talent is also overpaid for what they do, but nothing like to the extent that footballers are.

Even if you give him five hours for the show on Saturday night it works out he's paid about £12,000 an hour. So in reality he's being paid far more than even a footballer like Messi on his hourly rate.

But the point is we have to pay for the BBC even if we don't want to watch it, you don't have to pay for a footballers wage.

To be fair to Gary (not defending the overall cost) he probably also presented live coverage of the Euros in that year from France for 3-4 weeks.  Possibly the SPOTY awards, and maybe a few other things as well.  Context is rather missing here.  eg £150k to Johnny Mac for 2 weeks could be WAY more expensive than £450k for Gimmy to present his painful breakfast show on Radio 1.  

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, BornBlue said:

BBC are still the best broadcaster in the world by an absolute country mile.

If we didn't have the BBC, all we'd have is Ant & Dec, TOWIE, Love Island and Murdoch's news.

Cherish it.

I have no idea if it's the best, but it is certainly brilliant. 

27 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

To be fair to Gary (not defending the overall cost) he probably also presented live coverage of the Euros in that year from France for 3-4 weeks.  Possibly the SPOTY awards, and maybe a few other things as well.  Context is rather missing here.  eg £150k to Johnny Mac for 2 weeks could be WAY more expensive than £450k for Gimmy to present his painful breakfast show on Radio 1.  

Olympics,, commonwealth games, world cups, euros, womens world cup, premier league show, match of the day... all the one off bits and bobs.

I actually paid for a tv licence earlier today under threat of death.Got away with it for years though.

We were caught a few years back in my previous house after several 'free'years and the fine was £100 cheaper than the licence .

Not condoning it of course but they should pay us to watch some of that dross

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

so much lols.... people here complaining about the high wages?

Its the free market... good for the economy...they earn it ... etc etc etc.

The BBC is not the free market at all, it collects a license fee under the threat of imprisonment. 

It's the total opposite to the free market.

4 minutes ago, dynamark said:

I actually paid for a tv licence earlier today under threat of death.Got away with it for years though.

We were caught a few years back in my previous house after several 'free'years and the fine was £100 cheaper than the licence .

Not condoning it of course but they should pay us to watch some of that dross

So you were breaking the law "under threat of death" for several years and yet were only fined £45 despite the hundreds actually owed?

The problem is, does Gary Lineker add that much extra value to the BBC's coverage than say Mark Chapman who is paid say 1.5m less than him? And because the BBC is guaranteed revenue through coercion the answer is no, he probably provides no extra value because the programmes he works on aren't sold across the world, they don't really create revenue. 

I don't really have a problem with the levels of pay, though I don't understand the amounts some of the Eastenders actors are paid. But really, I don't believe these figures should be published nor do I believe it's in anyone's interests.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

When you see Eastenders and the actors getting paid so much, you wonder why you pay the licence fee.

Then you watch something like Planet Earth 2 and you remember.

Good point. Where is Sir David on this list?

Archived