Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PintsandPyro

Darts

On 04/01/2024 at 17:10, EnderbyFox said:

GDAqccNbIAEo4qV?format=jpg&name=large

Wright very lucky imo, hope he can find some form soon 

Totally agree, he's been way off form, certainly lacking the sort of consistency needed for this - can't believe they couldn't find more than one non-uk entrant.

And the thought of having to watch Humphries every week is dreadful, but i guess he has to be there.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

And I don’t get why people don’t like Humphries? What is it about him he seems like a humble guy who has grafted hard and come through mental struggles he is open about and doesn’t ever use it as an excuse in the vein of a James Wade who is often a complete dick and says but oh yeah mental helf, or a Gerwyn price who often seems to be controversial for the sake of it. Plenty of darts players who can rub you up the wrong way for one reason or another but I’ve never seen anything from Humphries that would indicate a reason for people disliking him. Genuinely intrigued what it is about him some people don’t like as I can’t fathom it.

Same reason why people dislike Mark Selby in snooker. Sadly there is no place for people in darts and snooker who aren’t emotionally dysfunctional and rely on alcohol to get by. 

5 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Totally agree, he's been way off form, certainly lacking the sort of consistency needed for this - can't believe they couldn't find more than one non-uk entrant.

And the thought of having to watch Humphries every week is dreadful, but i guess he has to be there.

Your last couple of sentences are everything that’s wrong with the darting casuals now a days.

What a ridiculous thing to come out with

• Like 4

Humphries deserves his spot.And to be honest i'm not his biggest fan....Dont know why!(Maybe the win against Cross in Prague that i was at)If you watch the PC (RIP the MetroDome) and the Eurotour,he's been great.Think the PDC have got it spot on this year.

Edited by PAULCFC

PS...if you have "LOVED THE DARTS" get yourself a sub to PDCTV and a VPN! Not that i condone watching the " Greatest Tour in the World"Copyright Dan Dawson by dodgy ways...But it makes evenings fun when there's no footy!

Edited by PAULCFC

2 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Your last couple of sentences are everything that’s wrong with the darting casuals now a days.

What a ridiculous thing to come out with

Are we not allowed to have players we like and dislike nowadays?  Darting casuals! - what an arrogant and pretentious thing to say.  I suppose it's also wrong of me to find wayne mardle's commentary dreadful, then?

Since i first saw him i've disliked watching him - i don't like the way he throws, i don't like his nickname, i don't like his attitude in interviews - i can't think of one redeeming thing about him - he is the tottenham hotspurs of darts (except with trophies) 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Are we not allowed to have players we like and dislike nowadays?  Darting casuals! - what an arrogant and pretentious thing to say.  I suppose it's also wrong of me to find wayne mardle's commentary dreadful, then?

Since i first saw him i've disliked watching him - i don't like the way he throws, i don't like his nickname, i don't like his attitude in interviews - i can't think of one redeeming thing about him - he is the tottenham hotspurs of darts (except with trophies) 

What a weird take.

Think you need relax and have less hate towards the lad.

Everyone's different and imo he's the polar opposite to majority of other player personalities.

Every sport needs different characters to make it engaging to the viewer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lionator said:

Same reason why people dislike Mark Selby in snooker. Sadly there is no place for people in darts and snooker who aren’t emotionally dysfunctional and rely on alcohol to get by. 

Do mark selby and Luke Humphries rely on alcohol to get by? Luke Humphries looks like one of the physically fittest darts players out there, the state of some of them, clearly drunks fair enough but you must be on the wind up, never seen Humphries look or act drunk in an interview this season.

18 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Do mark selby and Luke Humphries rely on alcohol to get by? Luke Humphries looks like one of the physically fittest darts players out there, the state of some of them, clearly drunks fair enough but you must be on the wind up, never seen Humphries look or act drunk in an interview this season.

I meant that they don’t (my words are a bit muddled). Like people will always prefer a Jimmy White to a Mark Selby because he was entertaining but he was entertaining because he was doing lines of cocaine in between frames, just like a few on the darts tour (allegedly). 

9 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

What a weird take.

Think you need relax and have less hate towards the lad.

Everyone's different and imo he's the polar opposite to majority of other player personalities.

Every sport needs different characters to make it engaging to the viewer.

Where have i said i hate him :dunno:  I just don't find it enjoyable watching him - it's a sport full of individuals some i enjoy watching, others i don't: he's one that i don't.  It's like the actor Andrew Scott, he's a fine actor, i'm sure, but there's just something about him that makes me squirm...

Some people just rub you up the wrong way.  It's not hateful, just uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I find it fascinating how everyone seems to have very different players they like and dislike. I really like Jose De Sousa because you never know what he is going to do but my mate hates him for the same reason because he cant count.

I found Humphries really dull when he was caught up in the middle tier of players but have warmed to him a lot this year as he is now one of the classier top players. It would have been embarrassing having all those new eyes tuning into the final to watch the kid and having to be try to understand Price's OTT celebrations.

19 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

I find it fascinating how everyone seems to have very different players they like and dislike. I really like Jose De Sousa because you never know what he is going to do but my mate hates him for the same reason because he cant count.

I found Humphries really dull when he was caught up in the middle tier of players but have warmed to him a lot this year as he is now one of the classier top players. It would have been embarrassing having all those new eyes tuning into the final to watch the kid and having to be try to understand Price's OTT celebrations.

See, there you go - i love price's OTT celebrations, and i find de sousa very pedestrian.

It is fascinating, and i think it's because it's such an idiosyncratic sport - just the way certain players hold their darts can unsettle me, like people who hold pens or cutlery (norwegian's are freaks with cuttlery!) in a weird way.

Simon Whitlock is another whose technique i find a bit unsettling - i think it's because i'm a bit OCD lol

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I find it hard to find fault in a technique that just hammers the 60 continuously, myself!

Just because something functions well doesn't mean it's pleasant to watch....

11 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Just because something functions well doesn't mean it's pleasant to watch....

Interesting debate, that.

Sometimes the function of the thing itself and how efficiently it completes a task has an elegance all of its own.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.