Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PintsandPyro

Darts

11 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Just because something functions well doesn't mean it's pleasant to watch....

I know what you mean.  There are certain players’ throws I like and dislike.  I admire Peter Wright’s precision in his action, like he has his elbow fixed on a table.  I used to love Jocky Wilson’s (showing my age) idiosyncratic throw, particularly when he  jumped off his feet and yet still found the 60 bed!  I don’t like Joe Cullen’s action, as I cannot work out how he aims his darts!  Brendan Dolan’s action also irritates me, it looks like throw and pray!  

It is very exciting to watch players capable of hitting the turbo, particularly when it’s close.  For that reason and because he seems like a nice guy Humphries is very watchable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting debate, that.

Sometimes the function of the thing itself and how efficiently it completes a task has an elegance all of its own.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

My toilet flushes very nicely, and i appreciate the mechanics of it, but i always close the lid.

45 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

My toilet flushes very nicely, and i appreciate the mechanics of it, but i always close the lid.

...hence the word "sometimes". :D

I've always been a more results-orientated rather than "entertainment"-orientated person anyway, with LCFC and any other sporting person/team I have an interest in, the winning is the important thing for me, doing it with style is great too but also secondary to the result.

Edited by leicsmac

35 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Maybe I'm just not that into darts but I'm struggling to see how you can like or dislike a throw lol

I don’t either. The only person I couldn’t be doing with watching was Justin Pipe but that was more how slow he was rather than his action. 

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Maybe I'm just not that into darts but I'm struggling to see how you can like or dislike a throw lol

Clearly it's different for different people.  as i suggested, it's possibly an OCD thing for me, some players just hold the dart in a way that seems wrong - i can't explain it better than that, but i'm not just saying it to vindicate my dislike of watching luke hupmhries.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...hence the word "sometimes". :D

I've always been a more results-orientated rather than "entertainment"-orientated person anyway, with LCFC and any other sporting person/team I have an interest in, the winning is the important thing for me, doing it with style is great too but also secondary to the result.

I wouldn't count myself as a massive darts fan, but i find it really exciting when games are tight, and i don't really mind who wins (generally)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

These weirdos whistling at Smith as he’s throwing against Littler are embarrassing 

It's been happening all night. Whistling a bloke who's on a 9 darter is pretty pathetic.

Sensational stuff from Bunting - totally deserved, and knocking out the world champ on the way is impressive and, heh, for me, extra satisfying.