Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

Hi, this is Jon Darch from the Safe Standing Roadshow. Please take a minute to lend the safe standing campaign your vital support.

As you probably know, the EFL supports safe standing, the FA chairman wants it and the EPL clubs are discussing it. After many years of campaigning, we are almost at the point where government will look seriously at introducing it.

But we're not quite there.

A working showcase will greatly strengthen our case. It will show MPs that safe standing DOES work in this country.

So act now! Help this crowdfunding campaign being run by local fans and the FSF to create this important showcase to prove our point!

The venue will be Shrewsbury Town. But this is absolutely NOT about just one club. It's about EVERY club. And EVERY fan.

If you believe that ALL fans of ALL clubs should have the choice to sit or stand, act now!

Contribute here. Even just a pound or two will help. More if you can afford it. There are some great rewards in return.

But most of all you will be helping to make safe standing happen.

Let's get this showcase up and running ASAP, so that when discussions take place with government they can't say it wouldn't work in England or Wales.

Let's show them it can!

The time to do your bit is here and now!

Thanks!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

They'll need to go some if there going to meet their target.

Maybe the demand isn't quite as high as I thought.

Well maybe it is but fans don't want to pay for it.

I personally don't see why the fans should have to pay for this or for it to be crowd-funded. Why can't a club step forward, give something back to the fans and just invest the money to implement the rail seating?

I'm well behind safe standing but if the clubs actually want to listen to their fan base and improve things for what is essentially their customers then you don't get them to pay for the change. It'd be like your gym asking you to pay on top of your membership because they're putting in some new equipment!

45 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I personally don't see why the fans should have to pay for this or for it to be crowd-funded. Why can't a club step forward, give something back to the fans and just invest the money to implement the rail seating?

I'm well behind safe standing but if the clubs actually want to listen to their fan base and improve things for what is essentially their customers then you don't get them to pay for the change. It'd be like your gym asking you to pay on top of your membership because they're putting in some new equipment!

STFC are a small club with a small budget, but one of only a handful allowed by law to do this pilot, so very useful to the campaign.

When their fans approached them about crowdfunding it, they were happy to go ahead (it does involve a lot of admin work on their side, so they could easily have not bothered).

For the national campaign, having a showcase like this will make it almost impossible for government to say it won't work elsewhere.

If we as fans want safe standing, it is therefore well worth our while to each chip in a small amount to achieve considerable long-term benefits.

Once this helps to change the law, I'd certainly expect clubs with Premier League budgets to pay for their own installations. But for this initial showcase, it's down to us to make it happen.

• 1 month later...

https://www.tifosy.com/en/campaigns/support-the-campaign-to-install-england-s-first-safe-standing-area

In an historic achievement, Shrewsbury Town Football Club are one step closer to being the first club in England & Wales to introduce safe standing at their Montgomery Waters Meadow stadium, following the successful completion of their crowdfunding campaign thanks to a considerable contribution from FansBet.

Brian Caldwell, Shrewsbury Town CEO, added “We are delighted that Shrewsbury Town will be the flagship club in addressing this issue, which is so important to so many fans. We will now continue to work closely with our local SAG (Safety Advisory Group) to gain the necessary certification for the Safe Standing area within the Salop Leisure Stand at the Montgomery Waters Meadow, and we hope to have supporters watching home games from the safe standing area before the end of the season”.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

A Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport spokesman said: "The government has no plans to change its position and introduce standing accommodation at grounds covered by the all-seater requirement."

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

If an mp owned a company that built the things, the laws on standing at Football grounds would soon change, those in power are only interested in lining their own pockets. 

Not sure that's entirely fair, my MP is very much informed and said he'd back it if there was enough demand when I got in contact with him about it. I know for a fact Leicetser based MPs are keen to discuss with LCFC too, but the club aren't open to discussion.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not sure that's entirely fair, my MP is very much informed and said he'd back it if there was enough demand when I got in contact with him about it. I know for a fact Leicetser based MPs are keen to discuss with LCFC too, but the club aren't open to discussion.

Well let’s all go up to his house and picket outside untill it gets sorted 

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

If an mp owned a company that built the things, the laws on standing at Football grounds would soon change, those in power are only interested in lining their own pockets. 

So who owns the company that makes the seats? Get this into the open prove the corruption and have safe standing.

This theory could stand up alongside Roswell and JFK.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Christoph said:

The top end of the KOP has been standing for bloody ages. Sometimes I wish there were 'standing sized' benches so you could lean on them. Standing up all game when we're playing sh*t is depressing lol 

Part of the plus of standing is when the game is shite it's easier to create your own entertainment at least that's how i remember it :(

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43701400?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

A very interesting read and imo ridiculous. As long as it is properly implemented and controlled there is no danger with safe standing at all. I like the Celtic concept, where the seats remain but are locked into position for all games apart from Europe, but they are available when needed. 

35 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The game has moved on from the dark days and there is no room for so-called "safe standing areas" in the modern era.

If you want to stand go to a 17th tier game and enjoy yourself.

Or Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, actually most of the big clubs are getting away with it now.

• Like 1