Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

I definitely wouldn’t understand, I’ve never tried coffee, it smells awful.

That's so unusual. Most people who don't like coffee seem to like the smell but find the taste a let down in my experience.

6 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Just open a pub that also sells coffee - just like the old days :thumbup:

You're so much younger than me. The old days to me was a pint with the only side options being crisps or a pickled egg.

At least until the utterly exotic Scampi Fries made an appearance.

On a visit back to Leicester at around 18, my uncle took me to a pub in Beaumont Leys and asked what I wanted. When I said gin and tonic, he said 'no you fvcking don't, that's a woman's drink. You want lager or bitter you twat?' That was the old days.

Don't know how he'd cope with someone asking for a Frappuccino.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

That's so unusual. Most people who don't like coffee seem to like the smell but find the taste a let down in my experience.

There are a few us that exist, we are the ones in Starbucks looking grumpy and drinking a £2 cup of tea that tastes exactly the same as the one we make at home for 8p. I’m not bitter or anything.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

There are a few us that exist, we are the ones in Starbucks looking grumpy and drinking a £2 cup of tea that tastes exactly the same as the one we make at home for 8p. I’m not bitter or anything.

Ah, that isn't just personal to tea drinkers though.

The cost of coffee is shocking given I can usually make a better one at home for a fraction of the price.

I enjoy both but often drink tea when out as it's usually half the price and a lot of coffee in cafes is awful.

I live in deepest, darkest Somerset now though, Starbucks isn't due here until the year 2525.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Never, ever seen the point personally. Bit like non alcoholic beer, vegetarian bacon and Craig Levein.

Too much caffeine affects my ulcerative colitis unfortunately. I can cope with tea, but coffee usually sends me running for the bog.

4 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Ah, that isn't just personal to tea drinkers though.

The cost of coffee is shocking given I can usually make a better one at home for a fraction of the price.

I enjoy both but often drink tea when out as it's usually half the price and a lot of coffee in cafes is awful.

I live in deepest, darkest Somerset now though, Starbucks isn't due here until the year 2525.

Still on the scrumpy lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Max Wall said:

That's the truth. News report on pubs closing down this morning.

The 'you can't have any fun' brigade continue their relentless pursuit of a meaningful life for all......

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

One thing I've noticed about coffee shops is how miserable the people look in them.

Some things would have been better left alone. Most people in pubs didn't look miserable. 

Ah, the old days........

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Too much caffeine affects my ulcerative colitis unfortunately. I can cope with tea, but coffee usually sends me running for the bog.

Didn't realise you were a fellow sufferer mate, sorry to hear that.

UC was my original diagnosis back in '04 when I had initial surgery and now they've confirmed I've got Crohn's.

Hope you're on good meds and got it under some sort of control. Best of luck :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

UC was my original diagnosis back in '04 when I had initial surgery and now they've confirmed I've got Crohn's.

Hope you're on good meds and got it under some sort of control. Best of luck :thumbup:

Jeez Izzy, I knew you'd been unwell and in hospital a while back. I didn't realise about the Crohn's. If you've mentioned that before, I've obviously missed it. Sorry to hear that. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, the fox said:

Imagine someone seeing this thread "hot", thinking someone got too drunk and let the crazy out just to find out we are talking about coffee and Buce's petrol sniffer of an ex-gf lol

I've only quoted you to highlight that line in case anyone misses it lol

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Coffee is life, baby. 

Little espresso in the morning helps the first poo move along nicely. 

Also, tea as we take it in England is awful. Bland tea-bags watered down with milk and sugar lol, wtf even is that? 

Tea should be quality leaves and hot water with nothing else contaminating it - like the Japanese do it. 

Same thing with coffee really. Cream sugar and coffee not to mention a higher caffeine content.

I am cool with quality leaves though!

Personally tea is much better for me. Make both english and cha (chai). Preferrence is for cha though.   The green cardamom, fennel seeds,  cloves and cinnamon give it a nice flavour. Ginger can be added if you like and milk n sugar is a must lol. 

I will have coffee once a month and im good for awhile.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Had it since '01 myself. I'm the other way round. Thought it was Crohns but then found out it was UC. It's generally under control but still get the odd flare up every few months. Not had to have any ops yet thankfully. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

There was a thing about this on Radio 2 the other day. I knew it was bad without knowing too much of the details. Now I can't imagine anything much worse. I feel for you and Bear.

• Thanks 1

Been on the diet for a couple of days so looking forward to 2 rounds of thickly buttered toast with marmite on, and ...     a large steaming mug of Kenco smooth coffee ...   can't bloody wait ! ...    then will get close to people all day so that they can smell it ...     :)

(Or, I might have a cup of weak milky tea, whip the petrol cap of the car, and have a quick lung full of petrol fumes ...   decisions decisions ... )