Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

8 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Ah, that isn't just personal to tea drinkers though.

The cost of coffee is shocking given I can usually make a better one at home for a fraction of the price.

I enjoy both but often drink tea when out as it's usually half the price and a lot of coffee in cafes is awful.

I live in deepest, darkest Somerset now though, Starbucks isn't due here until the year 2525...

...shortly after electricity and a ban on marrying your sister.

8 hours ago, MattP said:

One thing I've noticed about coffee shops is how miserable the people look in them.

Mate, if you were paying £4 for a teaspoon of Nescafe in a cup of warm water, you'd look miserable too.

5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Been on the diet for a couple of days so looking forward to 2 rounds of thickly buttered toast with marmite on, and ...     a large steaming mug of Kenco smooth coffee ...   can't bloody wait ! ...    then will get close to people all day so that they can smell it ...     :)

(Or, I might have a cup of weak milky tea, whip the petrol cap of the car, and have a quick lung full of petrol fumes ...   decisions decisions ... )  

Marmite?!

:nigel:

13 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Been on the diet for a couple of days so looking forward to 2 rounds of thickly buttered toast with marmite on, and ...     a large steaming mug of Kenco smooth coffee ...   can't bloody wait ! ...    then will get close to people all day so that they can smell it ...     :)

(Or, I might have a cup of weak milky tea, whip the petrol cap of the car, and have a quick lung full of petrol fumes ...   decisions decisions ... )  

Mmmm, hot, thickly buttered toast - if that's not food for the Gods, I don't know what is.

9 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Ah, that isn't just personal to tea drinkers though.

The cost of coffee is shocking given I can usually make a better one at home for a fraction of the price.

I enjoy both but often drink tea when out as it's usually half the price and a lot of coffee in cafes is awful.

I live in deepest, darkest Somerset now though, Starbucks isn't due here until the year 2525.

Why isolate coffee, though? You can buy a decent steak from the shop and cook it at home for a fraction of the price you'd pay in a restaurant. You can buy a 2ltr bottle of Pepsi and pour a drink at home instead of paying £2 a glass elsewhere?

It's not like coffee is exclusively overpriced? There are plenty of places you can get a coffee for a decent price, but it's always going to be more expensive than your home made instant or machine coffee, all food and drink is!

Again, I don't get the coffee love myself, the stuff is NOT NICE, but I equally don't get the pile-on against coffee shops and what they charge. People are well aware of this; even Maccy's take the mick in their coffee advert.

People vote with their feet. There's an explosion in "expensive" coffee and lots of outlets because there's a demand for coffee. If that dwindles then so will the outlets.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

It's not like coffee is exclusively overpriced? There are plenty of places you can get a coffee for a decent price, but it's always going to be more expensive than your home made instant or machine coffee, all food and drink is!

Going out for coffee isn't that expensive depending on how you frame it. I often go out on a Friday for a coffee and older guys in my office say I'm wasting my money. They'll then proceed to go to the pub and sink a couple of pints and spend 4x what I did lol 

I'd agree that if you're buying one every morning on your way to work or whatever, then that is a waste. 

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Mmmm, hot, thickly buttered toast - if that's not food for the Gods, I don't know what is.

It was fookin lovely Bucey !! ....   not so keen on getting a lungful of the petrol fumes nowadays though ...    used to really love them a few years back before I had the op ...   :whistle:

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

It was fookin lovely Bucey !! ....   not so keen on getting a lungful of the petrol fumes nowadays though ...    used to really love them a few years back before I had the op ...   :whistle:

What op?

Just now, Countryfox said:

Yep ..  people either love it or hate it ...  no one in between ...       weird that ...     

I am - I neither like nor dislike it.

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

I am - I neither like nor dislike it.

D'you know what, that doesn't surprise me ...     :)

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

What op?

You know ...   the one I told you about ...   I know you were upset at the time, but a girls got to do what a girls got to do ! ...     :whistle:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

D'you know what, that doesn't surprise me ...     :)

You know ...   the one I told you about ...   I know you were upset at the time, but a girls got to do what a girls got to do ! ...     :whistle:

That was your 8,000th post.

So much crap in so little time... lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Why isolate coffee, though? You can buy a decent steak from the shop and cook it at home for a fraction of the price you'd pay in a restaurant. You can buy a 2ltr bottle of Pepsi and pour a drink at home instead of paying £2 a glass elsewhere?

Again, I don't get the coffee love myself, the stuff is NOT NICE, but I equally don't get the pile-on against coffee shops and what they charge. People are well aware of this; even Maccy's take the mick in their coffee advert.

People vote with their feet. There's an explosion in "expensive" coffee and lots of outlets because there's a demand for coffee. If that dwindles then so will the outlets.

I didn't, I was responding to a poster complaining about the price of rubbish tea. Hence my response about coffee.

If you read the thread, the subject being discussed was that coffee shops are taking over the high streets and seem to be this generations pub. The price of tea was mentioned at one point by a tea drinker and a couple of comments have been made about the price of coffee too. That wasn't the subject matter though.

:thumbup: 

Edited by Max Wall

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And I sent it to you darling ....    :kissing:

Flattered, as always, CF.

(Don't worry I'll never mention the coke bottle .....)

Haven't you got it out yet? :o

Just off out now to do some manly things ...    grrrr !!

Enjoy.

Be sure to tuck your skirt in your wellies...

I don't mind a machine coffee but standard jar coffee is bland. I much prefer a quite strong breakfast tea which isn't particularly adventurous but it's comforting. Best tea I've ever had was a cinnamon tea in Ecuador but the ones I've tried here haven't been anything like it.

I'd rather spend a little bit more in an independent place than a Starbucks or Costa.

Edited by Stadt

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

I thought you was a Vegan Buce, surely that would mean you wasnt allowed butter? 

Yeah, but it doesn't mean I've lost my memory, Suze.

Hell, I still crave bacon nearly forty years after last eating it.

Im predicting that "boutique coffee" is the next wankfest. Poxy little coffee shops with dirty floors and even dirtier baristas, with beards and flannalette shirts wanking on about which side of the hill the beans were ground on etc etc

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Im predicting that "boutique coffee" is the next wankfest. Poxy little coffee shops with dirty floors and even dirtier baristas, with beards and flannalette shirts wanking on about which side of the hill the beans were ground on etc etc

That's how I'd always pictured you tbh, just older

• Haha 2

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Out of interest, why did you go Vegan and not Vegitarian or was it a progression thing and if so why? 

I was a vegetarian for nearly 35 years, though I wasn't rigid about it - it wasn't always practical when I was travelling.

Becoming vegan was largely a healthy living choice, though I do have an issue with modern farming practices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1