Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

13 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

This one is my personal favourite.

123514-paul-smith-essential-gs-59796dc49

Does it smell of Paul smith? He used to live on the Northfields estate.

Just now, Milo said:

I like Germans.

(Obviously that's a bit of a generalisation, but, you know - on the whole, I quite like them) 

I could be wrong but I suspect that won't be a totally unpopular opinion.

I haven't met any great number of Germans in my life but the one's I have met, I've really liked. I've been to Germany a couple of times and found them to be just as easy going as the one's I've met in holiday destinations.

What's your nationality, does that have a bearing on it (are you English or not is what I mean)?

Personally, I don't even hate their football team. It's more like a grudging admiration at this stage of my life.

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

I like Germans.

(Obviously that's a bit of a generalisation, but, you know - on the whole, I quite like them) 

2 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I haven't met any great number of Germans in my life but the one's I have met, I've really liked. I've been to Germany a couple of times and found them to be just as easy going as the one's I've met in holiday destinations.

What's your nationality, does that have a bearing on it (are you English or not is what I mean)?

Personally, I don't even hate their football team. It's more like a grudging admiration at this stage of my life.

I’ve met loads of German backpackers and they’ve all been pretty sound. 

2 hours ago, Buce said:

I’ve met loads of German backpackers and they’ve all been pretty sound. 

I've worked in Germany for a while, our coany head quarters are in Dusseldorf but I have travelled around, I was shocked at the amount of racism and prejudice.  

5 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I've worked in Germany for a while, our coany head quarters are in Dusseldorf but I have travelled around, I was shocked at the amount of racism and prejudice.  

You get racists everywhere, Singhy.

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Milo said:

I like Germans.

I've done about ten weekends in Germany and the people have always been fantastic.

After the Haye-Klitschko fight in Hamburg we were soaked and you couldn't get a taxi anywhere, we bumped into a guy filling up his car and he put us in the back (despite his wife and kid being in as well) and drove about 15 miles back to our hotel, one of nicest gestures I've ever had from a stranger.

32 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The friendship with Bochum is fairly well documented but a few of us remark how much better their hospitality is than ours. They have better beer too.

Worse breakfasts though.

Wurst breakfasts, surely...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Actually, I suspect you are correct about it not being too unpopular an opinion, but mainly by people like yourself, and @Buce and @MattP etc who have replied - who come across as thoroughly decent and well travelled types.

I'm sure we've come across a fair few others in our day to day lives, however, who seem to have some kind of in-build aversion to Germans, that doesn't seem to be based on anything other than odd archaic stereotypes.

I lived on the Austrian/German border for a while a few years ago and had an absolute ball!  

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

Actually, I suspect you are correct about it not being too unpopular an opinion, but mainly by people like yourself, and @Buce and @MattP etc who have replied - who come across as thoroughly decent and well travelled types.

I'm sure we've come across a fair few others in our day to day lives, however, who seem to have some kind of in-build aversion to Germans, that doesn't seem to be based on anything other than odd archaic stereotypes.

I lived on the Austrian/German border for a while a few years ago and had an absolute ball!  

The other was is the Albert Hall?

2 hours ago, Buce said:

You get racists everywhere, Singhy.

Mate, I'm not that nieve, I  travel a lot for work, aNd mostly non tourist places, I've been to the deep south of US and never once suffered any racism.  Germany is one of those places, everything looks great until you scratch the surface. 

Myself and 3 colleagues, 2 of us brown, with a German colleague, walk to a bar in Hamburg and get told sorry no brown people allowed, and we do not want our types.......this happened quite often to be a one off.  I remember once a door man apologising to us, for having to do so as he did not agree with the policy.

We were once kicked out of a bar because we had started chatting to a few local girls.  

My German colleagues make all sorts of bullshit up when this sort of thing happens, mostly they blame the Turkish, and say it's mis identification, as Turkish are trouble makers.  Which is double standards, as being racist to Turks is ok.

2 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Mate, I'm not that nieve, I  travel a lot for work, aNd mostly non tourist places, I've been to the deep south of US and never once suffered any racism.  Germany is one of those places, everything looks great until you scratch the surface. 

Myself and 3 colleagues, 2 of us brown, with a German colleague, walk to a bar in Hamburg and get told sorry no brown people allowed, and we do not want our types.......this happened quite often to be a one off.  I remember once a door man apologising to us, for having to do so as he did not agree with the policy.

We were once kicked out of a bar because we had started chatting to a few local girls.  

My German colleagues make all sorts of bullshit up when this sort of thing happens, mostly they blame the Turkish, and say it's mis identification, as Turkish are trouble makers.  Which is double standards, as being racist to Turks is ok.

So long as prince of punjab dont kick us out we are okay! Lol.

Now of the germans ive met they have always been very nice (at least to my face).  Used to work for Agfa and some colleagues flew over to canada. Nicest guys out there. My wifes childhood friend (thai-canadian born/raised) met a guy (nice person) from germany and is now married to him and living out that way.

Racism is alive everywhere in many forms and not something that will ever be eradicated. England, germany and yes here in friendly  Canada.

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

So long as prince of punjab dont kick us out we are okay! Lol.

Now of the germans ive met they have always been very nice (at least to my face).  Used to work for Agfa and some colleagues flew over to canada. Nicest guys out there. My wifes childhood friend (thai-canadian born/raised) met a guy (nice person) from germany and is now married to him and living out that way.

Racism is alive everywhere in many forms and not something that will ever be eradicated. England, germany and yes here in friendly  Canada.

I've got loads of German friends, there's good there's bad, but compared to UK, Germany is worse then the 80's for there treatment of especially brown people, nearly as bad as the French.  By worse are the far Eastern Europeans.

What makes Germans different, is the fake bullshit niceness I see in them, having spent alot of time with Germans they over compensate for world war 2, and well we'll try hard to come as a happy and loving and inclusive because of it.   Obviously this isn't representative of all the population, a minority is enough to tarnish a majority 

• Like 1