Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Lukaku song - racist or banter?

14 minutes ago, James. said:

They are clearly singing it because he is black, not because he is Lukaku. It's a pretty clear example of racial stereotyping as far as I can see.

But really, who cares? I think the whole effort to tackle racism is undermined by the attention and faux outrage this sort of thing creates.

Surely to say the are clearly singing about it because he is black is reinforcing the racial stereotype. To make the association of that chant, which makes no mention to his skin colour, and race is perpetuating the stereotype more than the chant is.

Just now, Captain... said:

Surely to say the are clearly singing about it because he is black is reinforcing the racial stereotype. To make the association of that chant, which makes no mention to his skin colour, and race is perpetuating the stereotype more than the chant is.

Ok you can believe that they are innocently singing about the penis length of someone who just so happens to be an enormous black man and I will choose to think otherwise.

Regardless, as far as racial stereotypes go I really don't think it's worth all the furore and on that I assume we agree.

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

He was white, and had a big cock, we didn't sing about it, he was called Simon.

Shame, I would have gone with, to the tune of "love and marriage"

Here comes Simon

Here comes Simon

Packs enough to break a rhino's hymen

Just now, James. said:

Ok you can believe that they are innocently singing about the penis length of someone who just so happens to be an enormous black man and I will choose to think otherwise.

Regardless, as far as racial stereotypes go I really don't think it's worth all the furore and on that I assume we agree.

Indeed, it isn't worth all this fuss, I do find that kicking up such a fuss is detrimental to what Kick it Out is trying to achieve. I imagine that a rumour came up, as it does, about players and their non playing attributes, and some wags took to incorporating it into a song. I also accept that it is easy for those who hadn't heard any penis based rumours to make that association with it being because he is black, but I also believe that those that hadn't heard such a rumour and aren't aware of the racial stereotype would make no such connection with race until now, and would just assume he had a big cock.

They would have been better off asking the fans not to sing about penises because, well, it's a bit odd and there are a number of children and not very well endowed men in attendance. As soon as you bring race into it you open up a can of worms and now everyone is discussing Romelu's wang and its length.

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Oh come on Captain, of course it's being sang because he's black.

None of them I assume have seen his penis, Matic, Zlatan, Vidic etc are all big white guys who have played for them and it would never cross a supporter's mind to sing a song about their cock.

But as I say, it's a stupid football song, who cares.

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

None of them I assume have seen his penis, Matic, Zlatan, Vidic etc are all big white guys who have played for them and it would never cross a supporter's mind to sing a song about their cock.

It's reassuring that we have found rare common ground when it comes to our views on penises.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

You don't need to see it for it to be rumoured, as I said I'm sure there have been comments on here about Lloyd Dyer's cock (I know that he isn't the best example), these things tend to come out. For whatever reason he is now thought of as having a big cock, which is made easier to believe by his size, but this hasn't been sung about any of the myriad black players united have had in the past. Something has been said somewhere by someone to suggest he is well endowed, it has been picked up on by someone and whether it is fact or myth it doesn't matter, it was turned into a song. I don't believe that any fans were looking for inspiration and just randomly decided to speculate on his dick length.

1 hour ago, James. said:

They are clearly singing it because he is black, not because he is Lukaku. It's a pretty clear example of racial stereotyping as far as I can see.

But really, who cares? I think the whole effort to tackle racism is undermined by the attention and faux outrage this sort of thing creates.

Not that it offends me, but I agree and I think it has the potential to genuinely offend black people.

As has been mentioned on this thread. I don't think people understand where the black men have big willies stereotype actually comes from. It originated because white people would tell their daughters/wives/etc that these black 'monsters' would come and rape them with their huge members so it was means of keeping white women away from black men.

I don't think they'd sing about a white Englishman's penis.

But ultimately, I don't think United fans are singing it with the intention of offence and, at the end of the day, it's a bit of a non-issue. Nothing like our chants at Brighton recently which were genuinely insulting.

Guest BlueBrett
1 hour ago, James. said:

I don't see how u can say it's 'clearly because he's black, not because he's Lukaku'. I'd say the opposite is pretty much self evident. Don't remember anyone ever suggesting Sean Wright Phillips has a massive cock. Seems pretty obvious it's at least as much about the fact that he's a fookin man mountain as it is about him being black.

You can't ban stereotypes lol That's pretty much akin to telling people how they are and are not allowed to think. In my book, not only is everyone free to make whatever associations they want, but doing so is in fact inevitable. In any case, this particular stereotype is one which loads of black people in the public eye actually go out of their way to reinforce. Think of that comedian with the afro who always wears stupid suits for instance. It's literally 80% of his material. 

No sane person should waste their time even weighing this one up.

5 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

I don't see how u can say it's 'clearly because he's black, not because he's Lukaku'. I'd say the opposite is pretty much self evident. Don't remember anyone ever suggesting Sean Wright Phillips has a massive cock. Seems pretty obvious it's at least as much about the fact that he's a fookin man mountain as it is about him being black.

You can't ban stereotypes lol That's pretty much akin to telling people how they are and are not allowed to think. In my book, not only is everyone free to make whatever associations they want, but doing so is in fact inevitable. In any case, this particular stereotype is one which loads of black people in the public eye actually go out of their way to reinforce. Think of that comedian with the afro who always wears stupid suits for instance. It's literally 80% of his material. 

No sane person should waste their time even weighing this one up.

Well people on here used to say it about the 5"8 Lloyd Dyer.

Guest BlueBrett
2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Well people on here used to say it about the 5"8 Lloyd Dyer.

pretty sure that was based on anecdotes though?

Black is the overriding factor here. The fact he's massive definitely helps but I rarely hear songs about the cock size of large white men.

To be honest I may leave this debate for now as I read back some of my posts and wonder what the hell I am doing debating penises on the internet when I have a full time job to get on with.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

I'm not saying that you would have to ask them, but Soccer AM always used to ask who was the "longest in the shower"? (they didn't mean amount of time).

I'm sure it's been said on here a number of times that Lloyd Dyer had a large cock, these things are known, players see each other naked, a lot, and comments are made, for the bantz. There was a guy I played football with who had a massive cock, it was impossible not to notice it swinging around, I didn't really notice anyone else's, but because his was biiiiiig it got commented on and jokes were made. He was white, and had a big cock, we didn't sing about it, he was called Simon.

Simon the trouser snake?

Archived