Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Lukaku song - racist or banter?

Lots of heated debate this morning on the wireless around a song sang to Romelu Lukaku by Man Utd fans.

'Kick it Out' have contacted Man Utd to ask them to stop fans singing it as it re-enforces racial stereotypes.

Some callers saying it's out of order, and others saying there's nothing wrong with it.

So what's your view? Is it racist or just harmful banter?

http://www.football365.com/news/lukaku-24-inch-penis-song-is-branded-racist

Neither, just plain weird. Why would football fans sing about a player's cock? Really weird in fact.

Although do we now literally have a group of people in the World that spend 24 hours a day looking for something to be offended about?

Of course that absolute melt Jim White says it's massively racist. Anything to generate more callers into their pathetic radio station.

It's not exactly NOT racist. But it's not exactly ground-breakingly derogatory. If anything it's a compliment......:whistle:

I'm always a bit torn on stuff like this. 

Never sure if I think kicking off about something so trivial actually belittles the cause or if I think they need to challenge even the most innocent prejudice from the ground up to change people's views. 

It's certainly not really news worthy. 

35 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

It's definately at least as racist as our "does your boyfriend know you're here" chant was  homophobic  against Brighton

Not really, does your boyfriend know you're is here is clearly implying that they all have boyfriends when they don't and if it was sung to other groups of fans it would be equally homophobic.

If you sing the Lukaku song to a white player is it still racist? No, does it make sense to sing it to white player? Yes (if he has a big cock), there is no mention of race, just that he has a big cock, some people have big cocks. If he doesn't have a big cock then it is a little weird, but saying a specific person has a big cock isn't racist, saying all black people have big cocks is racial stereotyping, and if they sang a variation to all their black players and only their black players then it could be seen as reinforcing racial stereotypes.

To be honest, this is a stupid thing to pick up on in the battle for racial equality and it makes the whole organisation look ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

How does the song go? Is it worse than this Emile Heskey number when he played for Newcastle: (the second song at about 40 secs).

On similar lines to the Heskey one..

The people getting (or at least pretending to) offended by this would never cross paths with this song if it wasn't for social media etc. They move in different circles, everything 'offensive' gets circulated online until it reaches someone that finds it 'offensive', then it explodes. That video came out almost a week ago but just circulated round the football world, eventually it's reached the PC community and now apparently it's an issue. 

They are clearly singing it because he is black, not because he is Lukaku. It's a pretty clear example of racial stereotyping as far as I can see.

But really, who cares? I think the whole effort to tackle racism is undermined by the attention and faux outrage this sort of thing creates.

Just now, James. said:

They are clearly singing it because he is black, not because he is Lukaku. It's a pretty clear example of racial stereotyping as far as I can see.

But really, who cares? I think the whole effort to tackle racism is undermined by the attention and faux outrage this sort of thing creates.

How do you know that? How long is his penis? Do they sing the same song about Rashford?

Is the song inferring that all Belgian's have big penises?

Is it derogatory?

Really don't think this should be a thing.

14 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Not really, does your boyfriend know you're is here is clearly implying that they all have boyfriends when they don't and if it was sung to other groups of fans it would be equally homophobic.

If you sing the Lukaku song to a white player is it still racist? No, does it make sense to sing it to white player? Yes (if he has a big cock), there is no mention of race, just that he has a big cock, some people have big cocks. If he doesn't have a big cock then it is a little weird, but saying a specific person has a big cock isn't racist, saying all black people have big cocks is racial stereotyping, and if they sang a variation to all their black players and only their black players then it could be seen as reinforcing racial stereotypes.

To be honest, this is a stupid thing to pick up on in the battle for racial equality and it makes the whole organisation look ridiculous.

Many many years ago Cambridge had a White goalie called ' Johnny Vaughan " ( not that one) who played in the same team as Dion Dublin,who allegedly is quite big in that department.

Rumour had it Mr Vaughan put Mr Dublin to shame and " hung like a donkey" was sung to Mr Vaughan and another one sung to Dublin about Vaughan being bigger!

odd yes,racist definetely not.

21 minutes ago, Captain... said:

So are you saying that they somehow know that he has a big penis?  Or has there been some media story about his wang that i've missed?

2 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

I'm sure black men all over the world are deeply offended by the songs lyrics ?

The myth was invented by slave drivers to make black men appear to be subhuman and therefore emotionless and not worth of pity for their awful existence, so on that basis I guess there is always a chance that they would be. I'm sure the vast majority couldn't care less about the stereotype. 

As above though, I don't think anybody is actually outraged, it's just a mere question as to whether we should be or not. The answer likely being no. 

It boils down to whether racial stereotyping is racist.

It's worth considering why the stereotype was originally applied to black people, along with things like excessive libido and the ability to run fast etc; it was seen as evidence of their 'bestiality' (ie. not properly human).

9 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

So are you saying that they somehow know that he has a big penis?  Or has there been some media story about his wang that i've missed?

I'm not saying that you would have to ask them, but Soccer AM always used to ask who was the "longest in the shower"? (they didn't mean amount of time).

I'm sure it's been said on here a number of times that Lloyd Dyer had a large cock, these things are known, players see each other naked, a lot, and comments are made, for the bantz. There was a guy I played football with who had a massive cock, it was impossible not to notice it swinging around, I didn't really notice anyone else's, but because his was biiiiiig it got commented on and jokes were made. He was white, and had a big cock, we didn't sing about it, he was called Simon.

Archived