Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

39 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

Happened to my friends dog who I was dog sitting over the weekend, sounds very similar to what happened to your pooch. she seems fine now and my mate said it hasn't happened since. Was a little scary at the time as its not something my own dog has ever done so took me by surprise. 

Apologies this isn't particularly helpful. 

Cheers - yeah I suppose there's a lot of things it could be, my guess is it's a hair stuck in her nose/throat or something along those lines. If it gets any worse I'll call the vet 

Just couldn't believe how loud it was this morning, like an big angry pig was in the house

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I think I’ve googled this before because my dog had epilepsy and I thought it was related.

I believe it’s dog version of hiccups if it’s the same thing.

Ah could be I suppose, but she had hiccups once or twice when she was really young and it sounded very different. This was more like full on snorts, like if you're trying to shift a massive phlegm build up (in private)

15 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Cheers - yeah I suppose there's a lot of things it could be, my guess is it's a hair stuck in her nose/throat or something along those lines. If it gets any worse I'll call the vet 

Just couldn't believe how loud it was this morning, like an big angry pig was in the house

Yeah quite a shock at first, hopefully all is ok though 👍🏻

• Like 1

Know someone who has bred more than 2 letters of puppies in 12 months?

Do they have a gross income of £1000 from this activity?

THEY ARE BREEDING DOGS ILLEGALLY.

Report them to your Local Council, and ONLY buy dogs from licensed breeders and only IF you are happy with the state of the dog/mother/habitat.

My lab x retreiver puppy has had a bit of a hacking cough over the past cpl of days - the kind where they sound like theyre about to be sick but aren't - or when a choker lead is pulled too tight (we have him on a harness but I know what it sounds like. Not sure whether we would be overreacting going to the vets or not?

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

My lab x retreiver puppy has had a bit of a hacking cough over the past cpl of days - the kind where they sound like theyre about to be sick but aren't - or when a choker lead is pulled too tight (we have him on a harness but I know what it sounds like. Not sure whether we would be overreacting going to the vets or not?

Think you should go vets.  Could well be kennel cough.  May be something stuck in throat

Just now, Tommy G said:

Hes been vaccinated against Kennel Cough?

Can still get it.  Especially if he's a pup.  The injections cover 2x viruses, and the nose spray covers 1x bacteria that cause kennel cough.

Ultimately its the same deal with these covid vaccines.  Vaccinated doesn't mean immune.

8 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Can still get it.  Especially if he's a pup.  The injections cover 2x viruses, and the nose spray covers 1x bacteria that cause kennel cough.

Ultimately its the same deal with these covid vaccines.  Vaccinated doesn't mean immune.

Thanks - I'll ship him off to the vets, great success - a vet bill after 5 weeks of ownership........

Our pet insurance has a helpline you call if you have any pet related concerns, and you don't want to book straight in with the vets. Worth checking if yours does - I'd highly recommend insurance!

I've always called our vet if concerned, they've always been happy to advise over the phone about going in or not.

30 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Our pet insurance has a helpline you call if you have any pet related concerns, and you don't want to book straight in with the vets. Worth checking if yours does - I'd highly recommend insurance!

I've always called our vet if concerned, they've always been happy to advise over the phone about going in or not.

Thanks, we are with pet plan. It's supposed to be the best (here's hoping)

18 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Thanks, we are with pet plan. It's supposed to be the best (here's hoping)

Petplan are great.  My rabbit would have cost me £800 last week (was literally at deaths door).  Money was back in my account within a week minus £50.

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

My labrador had a massive snorting fit at 6am, lasted about 5 minutes, but then she stopped and seemed ok. Ate breakfast like usual, seemed a little down but no coughing or anything since. She just snorted a few times again then stopped. Never heard her do it before, maybe it's kennel cough? Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure whether to take her to the vet yet

This occasionally happens to my dog,but for 20 seconds,not a full 5 mins.It’s usually when he’s got too close to someone smoking or a plate of spicy food.I put it down to him having a really sensitive nose.

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

My labrador had a massive snorting fit at 6am, lasted about 5 minutes, but then she stopped and seemed ok. Ate breakfast like usual, seemed a little down but no coughing or anything since. She just snorted a few times again then stopped. Never heard her do it before, maybe it's kennel cough? Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure whether to take her to the vet yet

Think the vet calls them a reverse sneeze? Ours does it sometimes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Animal charities are saying we’ll going back to the days of stray dogs on the street’s.Progress Not

We are a LONG way away from that, thankfully.

The only dogs I seize as stray whose owners don't come forwards are usually owned by persons of historically nomadic backgroind

2 hours ago, kenny said:

Think the vet calls them a reverse sneeze? Ours does it sometimes.

Had never heard of it, just watched a video example and I'm sure that's what it is. The vet on the video said it's most commonly caused by an insect getting in there, and where I live there's quite a few so I'm guessing that's what it is. Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Who feeds what to their dogs? We have a 6 month lab/retriever and I'm not sure setting him up on a lifetime of kibble is 2022.....

Previously Arden Grange large breed for my labrador, now moved to Arden Grange senior. The ingredients are very good (roughly half chicken, half root veg with added minerals and oils for healthy joints). She's never had energy spikes/lows like you get with cheaper brands and always enjoys it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Who feeds what to their dogs? We have a 6 month lab/retriever and I'm not sure setting him up on a lifetime of kibble is 2022.....

My older dog has breed specific Royal Canin with supplements for her joints, plus a teaspoon of cod liver oil, and Royal Canin wet food sachets on top which she absolutely loves. My new younger dog (who was on kibble) was losing a kilo every couple of weeks when we got him (his poo was mostly liquid), the vets didn't know what to do (lots of tests and a few probiotics to no avail) so we followed our instincts and gave him six raw chickens wings twice a day (for 3 days) to bung him up a bit,  then put him on raw diet ...   this completely sorted the problem and to say he likes it is an understatement ...  his weight has gone back up to over 40kgs and he has energy to burn (borderline hyper ..  he actually bit my bum the other day in a rush to get out the door :)).    We will keep him on that (it is the best food you can give a dog imo) but, it can be quite expensive, time consuming, and you have to follow a good hygiene regime. It is also slightly complicated as you have to ensure it contains everything a dog needs.

Moral of this long tale ..  there are pros and cons for any type of diet but as long as your dog looks healthy and enjoys his food then all is good.  And don't be scared to vary it a bit now and again.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommy G said:

To cut a long story short,I’ve cooked our current dogs dinner since he was a pup.Meat rice veg.It’s time consuming and ludicrously expensive.I’ve really made a rod for my own back.But like other posters have said,a good healthy diet is vital in the long run for both man and beast.It’s an investment.

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned Butternut dog food?I saw it advertised on telly the other day.I put my dogs details likes,weight,age and breed etc through curiosity and they give you a two week plan.Delivered to the door.Less than a fiver a day for a 30kg dog for what looks like decent scran tbf.Seems to good to be true.

• Like 1