Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

44 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

Never used it myself but Tomlinson's in Markfield has a good reputation. My sister in law takes her dogs there for hydrotherapy sessions and is impressed with the set up. Dont think its cheap but where is nowadays

Thanks. I did just see them recommended on my local spotted page.

The costs are frightening. We've gone from our old place in NI at £9 a night (2020) to one here that's £20, I've just looked at some which are £27-£35 a night.

There is another one on the edge of Markfield (Shaw Lane) called Poplar Paws. Our 6 month old Border Collie has just completed a training course by a lady who works there. Again not sure on costs etc but just had a quick google and has very good reviews and seems a bit more personal as its limited to 10 dogs at a time.

• Thanks 1

On 14/01/2023 at 08:52, Flamey said:

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to our 15yo lab 'Jet' on Thursday evening, at least it was peaceful for him.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Going to miss him so much.

IMG-20221217-WA0000.jpg

I missed this when you first posted: my belated condolences. As others have said, unless you’re a dog owner, it’s all but impossible to appreciate the hole that’s left when they go. 

Have you thought about another dog? I can recommend it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

I missed this when you first posted: my belated condolences. As others have said, unless you’re a dog owner, it’s all but impossible to appreciate the hole that’s left when they go. 

Have you thought about another dog? I can recommend it!

Thank you @LanguedocFox appreciated. We haven't got another dog yet but will do in future. Our working patterns aren't really conducive to owning a dog at present unfortunately. We have however become a bit of a second home for various dogs in the village helping to provide a place where they can be walked loved and sleepover when their owners are away etc.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a vet who will do a home visit out of hours in Aylestone? My daughter has just sent me a pretty distressing picture of my old dog who lives with my ex husband. I've said he should take her to the vets but apparently he's too pissed to drive now so he's going to wait until tomorrow :( The dog is 16 and definitely at the end of her days, but I don't really want her to suffer overnight if it can be avoided.

• Sad 1

Just thought I would say that I am one of the "nasty people from the Council" who in sist anyone making over £1000 should have a dog breeding licence.

I have a warrant application pending for a very unpleasant individual that keeps a litter of pups, and mum in a 60x40x60cm cage.

The amount of work it takes to get these people is unreal!

• Like 2

On 10/07/2023 at 11:03, FoyleFox said:

Thanks. I did just see them recommended on my local spotted page.

The costs are frightening. We've gone from our old place in NI at £9 a night (2020) to one here that's £20, I've just looked at some which are £27-£35 a night.

It is horses for courses... some are much, much better than others (from a licensing inspecting officer's point of view)

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Does anyone know of a vet who will do a home visit out of hours in Aylestone? My daughter has just sent me a pretty distressing picture of my old dog who lives with my ex husband. I've said he should take her to the vets but apparently he's too pissed to drive now so he's going to wait until tomorrow :( The dog is 16 and definitely at the end of her days, but I don't really want her to suffer overnight if it can be avoided.

Maybe try a taxi?  Would be cheaper than getting an out if hours call out!

Of course, it all depends what is wrong with dog.  I have seen plenty of dogs arrive in taxis at the vets I use both professionally and personally

• Like 2

On 20/07/2023 at 22:11, filthyfox said:

It is horses for courses... some are much, much better than others (from a licensing inspecting officer's point of view)

Anything in particular to look out for when reviewing kennels for us lay people. Are you allowed to say anywhere you'd not recommend? 

@FoxesDebdid you get a vet to visit? 

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Anything in particular to look out for when reviewing kennels for us lay people. Are you allowed to say anywhere you'd not recommend? 

No, apparently she improved and they're holding off taking her for now :rolleyes:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

A licensed kennels will have a number of stars on the licence.

NEVER go for a one star.  4 or 5 star are the best.  2 or 3 star are adequate

Just now, filthyfox said:

A licensed kennels will have a number of stars on the licence.

NEVER go for a one star.  4 or 5 star are the best.  2 or 3 star are adequate

Same for dog breeders, pet shops, catteries and horse riding schools

Today was the day, unfortunately, Roxy is no longer with us :( 

We adopted her from the RSPCA in Leicester in 2007, when she was around 12-18 months old. She chose us, really, she was the only dog who just sat in the cage looking at us, rather than jumping up like the maniacs most of them there do. Initially we hated her name, but she's a Staffie cross so a chavvy name suited her and so we kept it :) 

When we agreed to adopt her, but before we could take her home, we used to go up to the centre and take her for walks. My daughter was only a baby at the time, and Roxy used to walk right next to her pushchair, it was lovely. She was the sweetest, calmest, most loving dog anyone could possibly wish for. She had a great life, she made it to nearly 17, and we loved her so much, even when my husband and I separated but I still lived in Leicestershire we would share her, here she is on her own, and with our cat Milo :wub:

Roxy 2.jpg

Roxy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

9 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Today was the day, unfortunately, Roxy is no longer with us :( 

We adopted her from the RSPCA in Leicester in 2007, when she was around 12-18 months old. She chose us, really, she was the only dog who just sat in the cage looking at us, rather than jumping up like the maniacs most of them there do. Initially we hated her name, but she's a Staffie cross so a chavvy name suited her and so we kept it :) 

When we agreed to adopt her, but before we could take her home, we used to go up to the centre and take her for walks. My daughter was only a baby at the time, and Roxy used to walk right next to her pushchair, it was lovely. She was the sweetest, calmest, most loving dog anyone could possibly wish for. She had a great life, she made it to nearly 17, and we loved her so much, even when my husband and I separated but I still lived in Leicestershire we would share her, here she is on her own, and with our cat Milo :wub:

Roxy 2.jpg

Roxy.jpg

Sounds like she had a long and lovely life Debs ..  and that’s all you need to focus on.  Unfortunately my boy was taken in fairly unpleasant circumstances last year and now the little girls kidneys (she’s only 8) are virtually shot so she won’t last too much longer.  All a bit too much for me tbh ..  :(

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

How long does it take for a dog to calm once their knackers have been removed? Weve got ours booked in Sept, hes 14 months now.

Mine never did lol 

He’s probably just a lively personality but still likes to hump a soft toy occasionally…

He will probably be pretty miserable with you for a couple of weeks after the procedure lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

How long does it take for a dog to calm once their knackers have been removed? Weve got ours booked in Sept, hes 14 months now.

This might not be what you want to hear, but ours was done before we got him (four years ago - a rescue) and has shown no signs of looking like ever being what you'd call calm...

16 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Mine never did lol 

He’s probably just a lively personality but still likes to hump a soft toy occasionally…

He will probably be pretty miserable with you for a couple of weeks after the procedure lol 

Brilliant!

14 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

This might not be what you want to hear, but ours was done before we got him (four years ago - a rescue) and has shown no signs of looking like ever being what you'd call calm...

He's actually calmed down a bit in the last 3 months. What I can't master yet, I'm sure its common with most adolecent dogs is recall when theres another dog involved. He is whistle trained, 2 toots on that he will come back from 2 fields away, if there is another dog involved no chance, just wants to play. Any idea how to crack it? 

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

Labrador. Use treats when he comes back from the whistle already, very food orientated

You’ll probably notice a difference after the operation, but reckon they’ll be a lot calmer by around 4 years old. Or at least more interested in what you have to say, rather than other dogs initially (from experience of having a dog that is half Labrador). Besides, at least you don’t have one of those XL bully’s that seem to have popped up everywhere, and your Labrador will at least be decent with other dogs in the meantime! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Ours was calm pretty much as soon as he'd recovered from the op. He was about 14 months when he had it done. Although, he is an unusually laid back springer spaniel so, might've just calmed down anyway.

• Thanks 1