Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

8 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Our five month old cocker spaniel won't stop pulling on her lead when we're out, she basically turns into a complete nutcase as soon as she leaves the house (which is two or three times a day for 30 mins). Her recall is good, she sits and waits on demand etc so other aspects of training are going really well. Anyone got any tips to help this?

Come back when you have the same but with 2 husky’s. If you can’t handle a cocker spaniel then go to the gym and grow some muscles.

On 01/01/2022 at 08:24, Costock_Fox said:

Come back when you have the same but with 2 husky’s. If you can’t handle a cocker spaniel then go to the gym and grow some muscles.

Bit of a weird response. I asked because it's really irritating not because it's physically demanding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Bit of a weird response. I asked because it's really irritating not because it's physically demanding.

What training are you doing with the dog on the lead? A lot of dogs will pull unless you train them not to pull which does require a lot of patience and consistency. The most common method is turning around and restarting every single time they pull on the lead. You can also buy those leads that go around their nose so when they pull it makes it uncomfortable for them and they stop.

Decent video on how to train them to stop pulling. 

With walking Great Danes (the current 1 year old boy is clocking in at 14 stone) and me being all of 5ft 1, having a nose harness is an absolute blessing, especially when they are young. One little pull on the lead and the dog will move its head a little and will no longer pull you. It takes a bit for them to get used to it but they really do work. The ones i use for the Danes look a bit like the ones you use for Horses. 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

On 31/12/2021 at 23:30, walkerleeds said:

Our five month old cocker spaniel won't stop pulling on her lead when we're out, she basically turns into a complete nutcase as soon as she leaves the house (which is two or three times a day for 30 mins). Her recall is good, she sits and waits on demand etc so other aspects of training are going really well. Anyone got any tips to help this?

Lots of praise and treats whenever she walks next to you without pulling (if she ever does!).

Stop whenever she pulls, and wait a bit before walking on. This needs a LOT of patience as you’ll probably be stopping all the time, especially at first!

Some trainers say you should turn round and go back in the house as soon as she pulls and that she’ll get the message that she won’t get her walk if she pulls.

Nearly didn’t post this as it seems too simplistic but I gave a sharp tug on the lead every time combined with a firm NO ! ..  was recommended by two trainers including the chap near Lutterworth who trains protection dogs. Worked a treat on my two German shepherds. 

On 06/01/2022 at 16:30, Countryfox said:

Nearly didn’t post this as it seems too simplistic but I gave a sharp tug on the lead every time combined with a firm NO ! ..  was recommended by two trainers including the chap near Lutterworth who trains protection dogs. Worked a treat on my two German shepherds. 

I'm not a dog owner but I seem to recall hearing that yanking the lead risks damage to the dogs larynx.

37 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Are dogs ok eating chip shop mushy peas? 

26 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I would think so.In moderation of course.

25 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Ok good 

22 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Just don’t forget it will have added salt 👍

6 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Cheers I’m just trying to find a cheaper alternative food for my dog.

Is this some kind of running joke that none of us are part of?

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I'm not a dog owner but I seem to recall hearing that yanking the lead risks damage to the dogs larynx.

I think you’d have to yank really really hard - dogs seem to be tough as old boots in my (admittedly not enormous) experience.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Never heard that one  ..  this technique has been used for ever ..  the dog trainer on channel 5  ..  Graham something ..  he uses it all the time. 

I've got a good tip for this.  

I hate it when I see people with dogs that pull and they just keep yanking the dog back.  A blunt instrument born out of frustration and it doesn't work.  The dog won't make the association between being yanked and the pulling and most of all it is just unkind.  I don't like those face haltis either.

To train your dog to walk to heel you need a long lead, about 6ft.  Take the lead in your left hand at a comfortable distance and then loop the rest of the lead over and across the dogs chest and hold that in your right hand.  It's a two hand job but it woks like a charm.  You can keep the dog by your side (not in front of you) and you will see a big change in the dogs ability to pull and crucially, it is not uncomfortable for the dog.  Your dog will get the hang of what is expected of it.  Works best with big dogs.  Little dogs can sometimes slip it.

The picture below is the best I can find although the person is using two leads attached to a harness but the principle is the same.

maxresdefault.jpg.f3a35e743d234947cd7db6169789c3e1.jpg

Edited by murphy

On 06/01/2022 at 16:30, Countryfox said:

Chaperone K9? That’s where my sister got her cane corso from.

8 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Chaperone K9? That’s where my sister got her cane corso from.

That’s the place and very impressive it is too ..  she must have a few bob as those dogs are way into the thousands ..  several football players have them.  I didn’t get mine from there but know someone who works there. One of my dogs was very badly behaved, not just pulling on the lead,  and was causing a lot of problems but I refused to throw in the towel and got there in the end. They couldn’t really help tbh but put me in touch with someone else who did. Can’t remember his name but he

recommended a few techniques ..  I did all the training myself. 

9 hours ago, murphy said:

I've got a good tip for this.  

I hate it when I see people with dogs that pull and they just keep yanking the dog back.  A blunt instrument born out of frustration and it doesn't work.  The dog won't make the association between being yanked and the pulling and most of all it is just unkind.  I don't like those face haltis either.

To train your dog to walk to heel you need a long lead, about 6ft.  Take the lead in your left hand at a comfortable distance and then loop the rest of the lead over and across the dogs chest and hold that in your right hand.  It's a two hand job but it woks like a charm.  You can keep the dog by your side (not in front of you) and you will see a big change in the dogs ability to pull and crucially, it is not uncomfortable for the dog.  Your dog will get the hang of what is expected of it.  Works best with big dogs.  Little dogs can sometimes slip it.

The picture below is the best I can find although the person is using two leads attached to a harness but the principle is the same.

maxresdefault.jpg.f3a35e743d234947cd7db6169789c3e1.jpg

I think people are getting the wrong impression here Murph ..  it’s not yanking at all but more of a quick twitch of the lead and a strong (but not too loud) command ..  like I said it worked for me. 

Yanking shouting and dragging your dog around is a no no. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I think people are getting the wrong impression here Murph ..  it’s not yanking at all but more of a quick twitch of the lead and a strong (but not too loud) command ..  like I said it worked for me. 

Yanking shouting and dragging your dog around is a no no. 

Fair enough.  I wasn't really responding to your post, I was talking about people that I see out and about yanking their bewildered dogs around and getting angry.  Drives me mad.

I know what you mean, when you put it like that.  Still think that my technique is better though :)

• Like 1

I hope this is OK to post? Anyone local to Cambridgeshire? We are trying to shut the last industrial puppy farm, breeding and selling 16 week old beagles to laboratories.  If you are able to help by a simple share or more message me. Thank you x

If this isn't OK to post - sorry! 

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...