Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

On 16/03/2022 at 10:46, Countryfox said:

She’s just had her other cruciate done now ..  quite a long op as the meniscus was badly torn ..  this is the one where they don’t replace it with an artificial cord  but take a chunk out of the bone then plate it back with 7 titanium screws ..  no idea how this works ..  but it does !

D64A7023-6131-45AD-8590-C7B8331DF137.jpeg

This is what happened with out dog, it took over 18 months for him to fully recover but it was definitely worth it.

Hopefully your dog is younger and recovers quicker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

This is what happened with out dog, it took over 18 months for him to fully recover but it was definitely worth it.

Hopefully your dog is younger and recovers quicker.

Yes I know it's a long haul after the last time ...  but at least this time we know what to expect and how to look after her.  (Massage and flexing of the joint very useful but hydro therapy a complete waste of time and really stressed her).   Just looking forward to the day when the vet says  "The bone is now solid and cannot be damaged" !!    We had a bad start over the first few days when we went to pick her up and had to be there (north Nottingham) for 5.30.  The M1 was closed on Monday just as we were about to get on it and then the sat nav said 9.30 ! ..  they closed at 7 !!    Everywhere was gridlocked and I kept trying small roads to get round it ...   all I did was chase my tail and scratch all the side of the car.  Got there in the end though.  Small problem with her not urinating for 2 days but she finally broke the seal before it became a big issue (No it didn't turn into a news flyer!).  Anyway more settled now and I'm just sitting with her as we speak ...   hence the time to right this lengthy reply ! ...    and as you say ..  definitely worth it !!!   :thumbup:

P.S.  One other thing which maybe useful to know for others ...  last time they put her in an Elizabethan collar (which she absolutely hated) and told us 'most importantly' to keep it on all the time till the wound had healed so that she couldn't rip it open.   This time, half way home, I realised that they hadn't put one on and so we rang them ..  they said some dogs are fine without it but if she goes for it buy one in the morning ! ...  how things change ...   we were a bit worried about it though and stayed up with her all night.   What we have found is that leaving it off during the day is ok as long as you keep checking on her (I have a little mini cam on my phone) and tbh she has barely touched it ..  but we put it on at night to be on the safe side.   We have a clear see through lightweight plastic one that snaps together which seems the least invasive. 

28 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yes I know it's a long haul after the last time ...  but at least this time we know what to expect and how to look after her.  (Massage and flexing of the joint very useful but hydro therapy a complete waste of time and really stressed her).   Just looking forward to the day when the vet says  "The bone is now solid and cannot be damaged" !!    We had a bad start over the first few days when we went to pick her up and had to be there (north Nottingham) for 5.30.  The M1 was closed on Monday just as we were about to get on it and then the sat nav said 9.30 ! ..  they closed at 7 !!    Everywhere was gridlocked and I kept trying small roads to get round it ...   all I did was chase my tail and scratch all the side of the car.  Got there in the end though.  Small problem with her not urinating for 2 days but she finally broke the seal before it became a big issue (No it didn't turn into a news flyer!).  Anyway more settled now and I'm just sitting with her as we speak ...   hence the time to right this lengthy reply ! ...    and as you say ..  definitely worth it !!!   :thumbup:

P.S.  One other thing which maybe useful to know for others ...  last time they put her in an Elizabethan collar (which she absolutely hated) and told us 'most importantly' to keep it on all the time till the wound had healed so that she couldn't rip it open.   This time, half way home, I realised that they hadn't put one on and so we rang them ..  they said some dogs are fine without it but if she goes for it buy one in the morning ! ...  how things change ...   we were a bit worried about it though and stayed up with her all night.   What we have found is that leaving it off during the day is ok as long as you keep checking on her (I have a little mini cam on my phone) and tbh she has barely touched it ..  but we put it on at night to be on the safe side.   We have a clear see through lightweight plastic one that snaps together which seems the least invasive. 

Yeah we got rid of the collar as it stressed him out too much and he was really good at leaving the wound alone. Only had to tell him a few times. It’s incredible how well they adapt and recover.

22 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I don't like those Elizabethan collars.  There is no flex in them so the dog gets a jolt every time it bangs into something.  We made our own out of a camping mat, so that doesn't happen.  You can also buy those inflatable donut collars which are much less invasive.

Anyway, good luck with her.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I don't like those Elizabethan collars.  There is no flex in them so the dog gets a jolt every time it bangs into something.  We made our own out of a camping mat, so that doesn't happen.  You can also buy those inflatable donut collars which are much less invasive.

We kept it off during the day and she seemed fine and didn't touch the dressing ...   so last night we kept the collar off ...  you can guess what happened ...  just waiting fir the vet ..  :(

5 hours ago, murphy said:

Inflatables have been a revelation. So much better than the cone. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2022 at 10:57, Countryfox said:

We kept it off during the day and she seemed fine and didn't touch the dressing ...   so last night we kept the collar off ...  you can guess what happened ...  just waiting fir the vet ..  :(

Bit late but I hope your dog was ok?

On 17/05/2022 at 22:50, The Blur said:

Bit late but I hope your dog was ok?

Yes thank you ..  after being locked up for nearly 8 weeks (and a few scares on the way) she finally got the all clear a couple of weeks ago ..  she also had blocked anal glands which they sorted when she was under anaesthetic for the final X-ray ..  and had a nasty eye infection which touch wood is getting a lot better after a course of steroids and antibiotics (local vet couldn’t sort it but the vet who did her cruciate did) ..  the look on her face when I walked her outside to see her big brother had us wiping a tear or two from our eyes !

However !!! ..  said big brother suddenly yelped when out walking last week and can barely put his paw down ..  won’t let it be touched and growls and shows his teeth ..  vet put him on anti inflammatory and antibiotics ..  but doesn’t seem to be working ..  :huh:

Never a dull day !! ..    :)

• Like 1

While I'm here, have any of you got any decent tips for house training our rescue dog? She's about a year old, and until we got her she'd spent her life tied up on a balcony :( She's perfect in every way except we can't make her understand she needs to go outside. 

We've tried all the usual things, watching her and putting her outside, rewarding her when she does but she just doesn't seem to get it. She's an intelligent dog otherwise and has picked up commands really quickly. It's really starting to get me down, so hopefully one of you has a good idea for me. 

On 22/05/2022 at 11:54, FoxesDeb said:

While I'm here, have any of you got any decent tips for house training our rescue dog? She's about a year old, and until we got her she'd spent her life tied up on a balcony :( She's perfect in every way except we can't make her understand she needs to go outside. 

We've tried all the usual things, watching her and putting her outside, rewarding her when she does but she just doesn't seem to get it. She's an intelligent dog otherwise and has picked up commands really quickly. It's really starting to get me down, so hopefully one of you has a good idea for me. 

If there’s a time she usually goes (early morning is common) take her for a walk and try not to return till she’s been,and then

a treat and fuss. hopefully that becomes ingrained  routine, they like routine.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2022 at 11:54, FoxesDeb said:

Make a huge fuss when she does it outside (high pitched voice etc). Also if you catch her going indoors, it might be worth trying yelling - they hate loud noises, and I didn't want my dog jumping up on the kitchen counters, so the first time I saw her doing it, I yelled as loud as I could. 8 years on and she's never done it again. Don't half-arse it though, really yell as loud as you can - maybe warn the next door neighbours beforehand though :D 

• Thanks 1