Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

27 minutes ago, bovril said:

Is this the lady who was at Robert Peel a couple of years ago? Last time I went was early 2020 and found it a bit draconian. Wanted to pop in for a pint before the Spartak game but previous experiences had put me off somewhat.

She basically stands on the door clicking people in and out and when the pub doesn't even look bust it puts people off going again. 

45 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Where is good for breakfast in town? 

Will be having some snap and then a pint before the game but early kick-off is a pisser 

Merchant of Venice near the station is great. Reasonably priced too

• Like 2

On 29/10/2021 at 15:05, Lako42 said:

Where is good for breakfast in town? 

Will be having some snap and then a pint before the game but early kick-off is a pisser 

I went to St Martin’s Coffee shop (Crafty in the evening) for a fry up pre game yesterday. Not cheap at £10 but an unholy amount of food for the morning.

Great quality as well.

7 hours ago, LutterworthLCFC said:

Recently moved to Hinckley, closest pub to

me is The Weavers, decent pub with quite a bit of Leicester memorabilia on the walls.

Ham and cheese cobs are on offer, a bit too much cheese me thinks.

5B0ED155-882D-4DD8-9B1E-260103FDC171.thumb.jpeg.8e8b98cf2b6a43eb996dd10233b82277.jpeg

Saw one in the Blue Boar before the Napoli game that easily had double the amount of cheese. Instant gout.

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

What's the Bowling Green like? It was the first pub I went to with my Dad (when it was the Fullback and Firkin) and I was tempted to pop in on Thursday for nostalgia's sake. 

Gets quite busy on matchdays. Preferred it when it was the Polar Bear but pleased it does decent trade still.

13 minutes ago, bovril said:

What's the Bowling Green like? It was the first pub I went to with my Dad (when it was the Fullback and Firkin) and I was tempted to pop in on Thursday for nostalgia's sake. 

Above average chain type pub imo.

Interesting shape and wins points for its outdoor area. 

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Gets quite busy on matchdays. Preferred it when it was the Polar Bear but pleased it does decent trade still.

Ahh yeah remember when it was that. I recall it being abit depressing in there and we referred to it as the bi polar bear. Not been in for ages, remember they did plum porter though which was a great drop.

Just now, Unabomber said:

Ahh yeah remember when it was that. I recall it being abit depressing in there and we referred to it as the bi polar bear. Not been in for ages, remember they did plum porter though which was a great drop.

Used to be our starting point en route to Mosh on a Saturday. Was a bit of a dive but the pool table and jukebox were always free, and as you say you could get a decent pint (cheap if one of you had a yellow card too).

The Bowling Green used to be a gem of a pub.

Several small snug like rooms it was 'proper' old fashioned & homely.

Then came along progress & the heart of the pub was ripped out after corporate rebranding.

Despite this it's still a good place to booze matchday.

1 minute ago, boots60 said:

The Bowling Green used to be a gem of a pub.

Several small snug like rooms it was 'proper' old fashioned & homely.

Then came along progress & the heart of the pub was ripped out after corporate rebranding.

Despite this it's still a good place to booze matchday.

Same has happened to the Clarendon.

11 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Above average chain type pub imo.

Interesting shape and wins points for its outdoor area. 

Thanks. The shape is the thing I remember about it from my first visit, which was in 1998 (vs Saints).

The other thing I remember is walking back from a game vs Palace on Feb 1st 2003 and seeing a picture of a space shuttle on the TV in the pub and wondering why. 

Any suggestions for late night weekend music/DJ set in town? 

I'm too old for MOSH or zanzibar clubs or even fan club.... So I always end up at divorcee central at cafe bruxelles and move then the trendier outdoor area from the neighboring gaff out the back (I forget its name, but it is fairly decent) 

.....there surely must be somewhere else in town other than that?  Any electronica or Northern soul type gaffs?

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Any suggestions for late night weekend music/DJ set in town? 

I'm too old for MOSH or zanzibar clubs or even fan club.... So I always end up at divorcee central at cafe bruxelles and move then the trendier outdoor area from the neighboring gaff out the back (I forget its name, but it is fairly decent) 

.....there surely must be somewhere else in town other than that?  Any electronica or Northern soul type gaffs?

I would have said Landsdowne but thats gone now. Maybe nine bar?