Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Probably less exotic for you but the gold standard for great lager is German ones. Post Office vaults in Birmingham and The Ship & Mitre in Liverpool are the best I've been to nationwide

If you like your central European beers and you're ever in Bristol you should try the Llandogher Trow on King Street. One of the oldest pubs in the country and recently reopened . 

Various Rothaus, Benediktiner, Bitburger, Kostritzer, Timmermans etc on tap, as well as my current fav session beer Budvar Krausened.

I know it's ridiculous but I also always find the beers taste better when served in there proper glasses as they do here... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

If you like your central European beers and you're ever in Bristol you should try the Llandogher Trow on King Street. One of the oldest pubs in the country and recently reopened . 

Various Rothaus, Benediktiner, Bitburger, Kostritzer, Timmermans etc on tap, as well as my current fav session beer Budvar Krausened.

I know it's ridiculous but I also always find the beers taste better when served in there proper glasses as they do here... 

I’ve been hoping to draw one of the Bristol sides in the cup for ages. Only ever been to Bristol as a kid

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Been meaning to stop by there for a while now actually. 

The Offie, the wine Merchant near St George's retail park and Maxi Grosik on Woodgate are the best I've found locally for rascal euro stuff.

Interesting. I’ll have to go to maxi grosik over Xmas. Also strangely never been to the blackbird pub so can go in there after for a £5 microwave dinner and 5 pints of fosters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's an off-licence looking kind of place in Mkt Harboro - bit out the way for myself but flagged a while back that it appeared to have a semi decent range at the very least (I don't think it'll be as extensive as the Offie, though). Was called JR Stores but after a quick Google would appear it's now called Harborough Stores and Bottle Shop. Might be worth a look for anyone based in the south of the county!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Langston said:

There's an off-licence looking kind of place in Mkt Harboro - bit out the way for myself but flagged a while back that it appeared to have a semi decent range at the very least (I don't think it'll be as extensive as the Offie, though). Was called JR Stores but after a quick Google would appear it's now called Harborough Stores and Bottle Shop. Might be worth a look for anyone based in the south of the county!

They are very good. Like to think I know my stuff, especially after using lockdown to try loads of new German/Czech etc gear, but a mate brought me four beers I'd never heard of from there a few months ago.

Credit to the owner for seeing the potential, used to just be the newsagents where my grandma got her paper.

On 26/11/2021 at 22:26, Stadt said:

Any pubs in the county good for interesting lagers? I'm not talking your entry-level Madris or Morettis. Rothaus, Ayinger, Krusovice, Peroni Gran Riserva, Quilmes, Braybrooke, the good stuff?

Not a particularly wide selection and not somewhere with many other options for pubbing in the vicinity but Shilton Vaults in Earl Shilton currently have ABK Hell, Veltins and Purity’s Lawless on tap. They have their sister pub the Pestle & Mortar in Hinckley but I’m not often over there so I can’t tell you for sure if it’s the same lineup (I think @Ric Flair goes in so he may know?), if they do then you also have Elbow Room a short stroll over town. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Not a particularly wide selection and not somewhere with many other options for pubbing in the vicinity but Shilton Vaults in Earl Shilton currently have ABK Hell, Veltins and Purity’s Lawless on tap. They have their sister pub the Pestle & Mortar in Hinckley but I’m not often over there so I can’t tell you for sure if it’s the same lineup (I think @Ric Flair goes in so he may know?), if they do then you also have Elbow Room a short stroll over town. 

I don't go into the Pestle and Mortar, the last time I did they had Veltins and Lawless on tap amongst ales and ciders. This was maybe 3 years ago. So I assume matches to the one in Earl Shilton (which I have never been but heard from some locals about).

The Elbow Room I go a fair bit, it has a very good, constantly changing ale selection. The weekend before last they had a Brew York tap takeover and have in the past had a few like that (e.g. Tiny Rebel). However, they don't really do lager other than the Shiny lager they have on tap to satisfy non-ale drinkers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

They are very good. Like to think I know my stuff, especially after using lockdown to try loads of new German/Czech etc gear, but a mate brought me four beers I'd never heard of from there a few months ago.

Credit to the owner for seeing the potential, used to just be the newsagents where my grandma got her paper.

It's literally a 2 min walk from where l live. Spent a bit of money on the inside recently & has a massive selection, looks great. Not cheap, but will definitely test it out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Yeah that one has gone.

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

A shame, as it looked well-received with business when it had been open.

Possibly may reopen I was with Dave at Leeds away and he hinted all wasn't lost just yet.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2020 at 08:03, Ashley said:

The Salmon is ace. Pre Match drinking place currently. 

If you want a Sunday carvery try The Golden Fleece - South Coxton. You wont go wrong there

On 08/01/2020 at 23:34, Bayfox said:

Well you will as its Croxton:thumbup:

Have to say, I've been impressed with the Grand Union sat and today.

I dont know why i've only seen this now but :whistle:

The Golden Fleece

south-croxton.cylex-uk.co.uk