Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

On 29/06/2021 at 15:18, Dan.Reynolds said:

Off to Nottingham at the weekend, any recommendations on pubs? (Showing football of course)

Penny lane is fun (has arcade machines in and stuff), boiler room is great for a cocktail, six barrels in lace market great pub, canal house cracking pub on the water

15 hours ago, FLAN said:

Anyone been to framework brewery?

any good?  Do they do food?

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Would also be interested in this

Yeah, went to one of the England matches. Nice atmosphere. Nice mix of punters (thought it would be hipster central, it's not). Zero trouble. Think food was being done...

The room has a bit of a ww2 village hall theme to it. 

Recommend. 

If there's not six of you for a table, just phone them.and they'll pair you with another smaller group 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2021 at 08:45, grobyfox1990 said:

Would also be interested in this

Went last night. Wasn’t overly packed and table service was spot on

door staff were very welcoming 

no food but they were happy with us ordering in from Uber eats. Decent little set up although it’s in an unusual location with nothing else around it 

• Like 1

I know this is pubs in Leicester but wasn't sure where to stick this (and didn't want to create a new thread).

Going Manchester on Saturday for a night away and was wondering if anyone had some tips where is worth going? Me and the wife are staying near Piccadilly station.

I guess it requires a balance of where can you get in without booking and what is decent. I have looked at the railway arches breweries for some afternoon beers but also looking for something later in the evening. I have browsed Google maps so have some ideas but would appreciate anyone local or those who have been recently/before for some tips as well.

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I know this is pubs in Leicester but wasn't sure where to stick this (and didn't want to create a new thread).

Going Manchester on Saturday for a night away and was wondering if anyone had some tips where is worth going? Me and the wife are staying near Piccadilly station.

I guess it requires a balance of where can you get in without booking and what is decent. I have looked at the railway arches breweries for some afternoon beers but also looking for something later in the evening. I have browsed Google maps so have some ideas but would appreciate anyone local or those who have been recently/before for some tips as well.

Albert Schloss. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Piccadilly Tap, Pevril of Peak and then any of bars in the Northern Quarter. Night Cafe is one of my favourite in the NQ

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Piccadilly Tap, Pevril of Peak and then any of bars in the Northern Quarter. Night Cafe is one of my favourite in the NQ

Thanks. I think NQ is probably where we will lounge around as it seems there are lots of places round there. Will check those two mentioned in particular.

On 06/07/2021 at 13:08, KrefelderFox666 said:

Thanks. I think NQ is probably where we will lounge around as it seems there are lots of places round there. Will check those two mentioned in particular.

My favourite pub in the country is The Marble Arch which slightly heading out of the NQ on Rochdale Road. It’s worth the effort and the food used to be superb. The main craft beer place what everyone loves there is Port Street Beer House. 

For food, I highly recommend Bundobust near Piccadilly - Indian tapas, superb 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My favourite pub in the country is The Marble Arch which slightly heading out of the NQ on Rochdale Road. It’s worth the effort and the food used to be superb. The main craft beer place what everyone loves there is Port Street Beer House. 

For food, I highly recommend Bundobust near Piccadilly - Indian tapas, superb 

:soyuncu:this is the nice pubs in Leicester thread, we acknowledge we have loads of shit pubs and not many nice ones.  Can you take your nice pubs in other places somewhere else.

Edited by Dr The Singh

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I had 6 months there as a P/T barman in 1993-94 - on a Bosman transfer from The Crescent, Salford (another good real ale pub then, now sadly shut down). The Marble only occasionally did food then, mainly liquid nourishment.

In those pre-minimum wage days, we persuaded them to increase the hourly pay from £2.50 to £2.75 (wouldn't match The Crescent, which paid £3.00 p.h.).

The Marble often continued serving until 4am - I suppose the police weren't bothered as it was out of the way and punters were only interested in drinking, not fighting. There was a novel pay regime for those late hours: we were paid up to midnight, then voluntary unpaid after that, but with the freedom to help yourself to beer - distinction between punters & bar staff was a bit blurred. New Year's Day 1994, I woke up in the morning sat on the floor behind the bar, propped up against a box of crisps.

The manager did some good sales prospecting - got word about the late hours to the post sorting office nearby, so all the evening shift would arrive en masse (up to 20 of them) just before 11pm and stay until 2am, 4am or whatever. Once, the manager was the other side of the bar talking to me when the Wobbly Bob suddenly kicked in - from a standing, conversing position, he suddenly staggered backward about 5m, smacked into the wall and fell on his arse.

Sorry for the continued diversion and old man's memories, Dr. The Singh. :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I had 6 months there as a P/T barman in 1993-94 - on a Bosman transfer from The Crescent, Salford (another good real ale pub then, now sadly shut down). The Marble only occasionally did food then, mainly liquid nourishment.

In those pre-minimum wage days, we persuaded them to increase the hourly pay from £2.50 to £2.75 (wouldn't match The Crescent, which paid £3.00 p.h.).

The Marble often continued serving until 4am - I suppose the police weren't bothered as it was out of the way and punters were only interested in drinking, not fighting. There was a novel pay regime for those late hours: we were paid up to midnight, then voluntary unpaid after that, but with the freedom to help yourself to beer - distinction between punters & bar staff was a bit blurred. New Year's Day 1994, I woke up in the morning sat on the floor behind the bar, propped up against a box of crisps.

The manager did some good sales prospecting - got word about the late hours to the post sorting office nearby, so all the evening shift would arrive en masse (up to 20 of them) just before 11pm and stay until 2am, 4am or whatever. Once, the manager was the other side of the bar talking to me when the Wobbly Bob suddenly kicked in - from a standing, conversing position, he suddenly staggered backward about 5m, smacked into the wall and fell on his arse.

Sorry for the continued diversion and old man's memories, Dr. The Singh. :thumbup:

The current ownership/manager has been outed as a egomaniac, sexist pig in the last two months. Led to a bit of outcry in the industry of how abusive pubs and breweries are as employers. 

If you woke up on the floor, how come you didnt slip down the very sloped floor ?

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The current ownership/manager has been outed as a egomaniac, sexist pig in the last two months. Led to a bit of outcry in the industry of how abusive pubs and breweries are as employers.

Googled this. The woman who has resigned as MD - due to it happening on her watch, not any involvement - was the partner of the owner back in 93-94. A shrewd Northern Irish woman named Rodgers, wonder if she's any relation to Brendan?

The 1993-94 owner (her then partner) was a nice bloke - she persuaded him to hand over to a manager and focus on their offie to avoid late nights. I imagine the manager he appointed (the staggerer) is long gone as he was 25+ years older than me.

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If you woke up on the floor, how come you didnt slip down the very sloped floor ?

The floor was level behind the bar, as I recall - only sloped in the public area for punters.

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Paid a first visit to the Ale Stone yesterday. Very nice set-up.

Gaffer there recognised me from his Swan & Rushes days.

That'll be Alex. Nice guy, really glad he's still there and well.

• Like 1