Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

5 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Shame about the Hind as the guys before it really tried to give it a go. Gave the outside a lick of paint and spruced up the outside area.

Agree on the beer being rough mind, been a problem that for a while. 

That the previous lot? Must have been a few years back when they took over as we got asked to do the signs. 

Agree the beer has been honking for as long as I can remember, bit I definitely won't set foot in there any time soon.

I know the parcel yard isn't for everyone as its a bit pricey even for the real ales. But I've always liked it even going back to its days as time.

It's like our mayor wants to curb drinking. 

*on a side note. Any chances of a mini bus to Burnley being on the cards?

21 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Any pubs in the county good for interesting lagers? I'm not talking your entry-level Madris or Morettis. Rothaus, Ayinger, Krusovice, Peroni Gran Riserva, Quilmes, Braybrooke, the good stuff?

Can’t even think mate, country pubs tend to be a bit shit for decent beer round here.

Heard good things about Mill Hill I think it’s called in Enderby actually.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Any pubs in the county good for interesting lagers? I'm not talking your entry-level Madris or Morettis. Rothaus, Ayinger, Krusovice, Peroni Gran Riserva, Quilmes, Braybrooke, the good stuff?

Is market harborough too far away? If not then Beerhouse  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2021 at 17:38, westernpark said:

On the topic of nice pubs in Leicester! 

The Salmon Pub in town is open from 10am tomorrow with a great selection of beers. There’s also Bacon cobs and Vegan sausage cobs on sale before the game! The match will be shown on the screens too, for those without a ticket.

Isnt the Cherry tree, Just around the corner....

I Don t think I would know Now to get around some of my pub crawl joints, down the Quiet Escape Routes of the past...

Back in 70s,we covered some ground...Sometimes Keeping it short, or Stretching it out...A Good half of the Pubs gone..Back then we even use to

speak about other older lost Pubs, around and through the Circles of Leicester....I

My dad use to say a street block used to have 8 Pubs 4 on the corners 2 in the middle 2 across the road...Plus 4 Chip Shops ,3 bakers, 4 butchers,

candle-stick makers, 4 pawnbrokers & then the People lived somewhere among & between them with backgardens & pidgeon-lofts...

If you had a Birthday Party with your friends ,they treated you by taking you to another block & different Chips & girls...I

You wouldnt make it into town...Too many pubs,unless you Jumped on a Tram or bus..

My dad & Mam lived 2 Blocks from each other...One W.Class up market, One W.Class down market...Then WWIl intervened...

Though grandad & grandma swore the Bloody Zeppelin Bombed the best Butchers and 2 pubs in WWI, But The Cloud Pub still Served a Good Pint &

was still Good for Family parties...Weekends a Charabang to Braggy or a nice pub with Garden on the way...They were the Melton-Road crowd..

Norths toy shop, To Belgrave-cinema...

Sorry just reminiscing...of a town & Time I loved so well..:)

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Is market harborough too far away? If not then Beerhouse  

Slightly, I’ve been meaning to have a beer in Harborough for a while now actually.

Going to Melton for a session tomorrow, looking forward to Round Corner’s taproom/bar

Edited by Stadt

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Slightly, I’ve been meaning to have a beer in Harborough for a while now actually.

Going to Melton for a session tomorrow, looking forward to Round Corner’s taproom/bar

Beerhouse have started doing Round Corner stuff now too, big fan of their gear.

Freemasons over the road from Beerhouse also have a reasonable lager selection, though no local stuff.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2021 at 22:26, Stadt said:

Never seen any of those beers on tap in UK pubs, let alone local ones, with the exception of Krusovice. However, sounds like it is the other side of Leicester from you. The Royal Arms in Sutton Cheney (near Market Bosworth) usually have Krusovice. Although last time I was there they ran out after I had 2 pints of it.

Not a fan of the Barley Mow refurb. Better than it closing obviously but no ales on at all, just lager in placcy cups.

Still, at least it was open unlike the Parcel Yard. Seems like they're just giving up because of these station plans. Loads of folks mooching about outside around midday yesterday trying to get in.

• Sad 1

The Parcel Yard has been very hit and miss since COVID struck, from my experience - loose opening hours, a (understandably, in fairness) reduced selection of beer, just felt a bit tired. It'll be a big loss because there aside, what precious few pubs exist around the station are, by definition, shit.

I never liked The Criterion before and I don't have very high hopes for it's long drawn out opening, either.

Had a good few in town for the first time in ages the other Friday and the West End really is fantastic, the demise of Braunstone Gate is sad to see but that's a little gem.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Never seen any of those beers on tap in UK pubs, let alone local ones, with the exception of Krusovice. However, sounds like it is the other side of Leicester from you. The Royal Arms in Sutton Cheney (near Market Bosworth) usually have Krusovice. Although last time I was there they ran out after I had 2 pints of it.

I did mean in bottles, I should have said haha. Krusovice is the only I've seen of those on tap too besides maybe Rothaus in London.

I'll have a look at The Royal Arms, I'm in Glenfield so I'm the right side for it :schmike:

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I did mean in bottles, I should have said haha. Krusovice is the only I've seen of those on tap too besides maybe Rothaus in London.

I'll have a look at The Royal Arms, I'm in Glenfield so I'm the right side for it :schmike:

To be fair, I have never seen any of those in bottles either. Really hard to find places that have something more "exotic".

17 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

To be fair, I have never seen any of those in bottles either. Really hard to find places that have something more "exotic".

Probably less exotic for you but the gold standard for great lager is German ones. Post Office vaults in Birmingham and The Ship & Mitre in Liverpool are the best I've been to nationwide

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Not a fan of the Barley Mow refurb. Better than it closing obviously but no ales on at all, just lager in placcy cups.

Still, at least it was open unlike the Parcel Yard. Seems like they're just giving up because of these station plans. Loads of folks mooching about outside around midday yesterday trying to get in.

Landlord owns the Crows Nest I think. Could be wrong but he maybe the guy who had the Font after it was the Font. That place got butchered.

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Probably less exotic for you but the gold standard for great lager is German ones. Post Office vaults in Birmingham and The Ship & Mitre in Liverpool are the best I've been to nationwide

Went to The Ship & Mitre at Liverpool away a couple of years back (2 I think). Very good. I have also been the Post Office Vaults although this was at the end of a fairly heavy night. I do remember a fair choice of Bavarian beers on though.

Always a little biased to German beers so I get excited when I spot some on. We have a local off licence in Hinckley that sells a lot of German bottled beer.

Just now, KrefelderFox666 said:

We have a local off licence in Hinckley that sells a lot of German bottled beer.

Been meaning to stop by there for a while now actually. 

The Offie, the wine Merchant near St George's retail park and Maxi Grosik on Woodgate are the best I've found locally for rascal euro stuff.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Been meaning to stop by there for a while now actually. 

The Offie, the wine Merchant near St George's retail park and Maxi Grosik on Woodgate are the best I've found locally for rascal euro stuff.

Was going to head there with the Germans on the 27th whilst on the Hinckley crawl but now that looks dead in the water.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Went to The Ship & Mitre at Liverpool away a couple of years back (2 I think). Very good. I have also been the Post Office Vaults although this was at the end of a fairly heavy night. I do remember a fair choice of Bavarian beers on though.

Always a little biased to German beers so I get excited when I spot some on. We have a local off licence in Hinckley that sells a lot of German bottled beer.

Which one is that mate? The one down the road from the council offices?