Jump to content
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Recommended Posts

Afternoon,

I don't usually post on this forum so sorry if there is a similar thread elsewhere.

I am originally from Leicester but have lived away for around 16 years or so. I come back quite often but always struggle to find a nice pub to go to.

Anyone got any tips? Sort of looking for 'old man' type pubs which serve craft beers / real ale and have a nice atmosphere.

I really like The Salmon but don't know of many other places like that around town and I don't have a great knowledge of pubs around Leicestershire. I'm sure there's some good ones.

Went to the Bakers Arms in Blaby last time I was down - thought that was really good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

Afternoon,

I don't usually post on this forum so sorry if there is a similar thread elsewhere.

I am originally from Leicester but have lived away for around 16 years or so. I come back quite often but always struggle to find a nice pub to go to.

Anyone got any tips? Sort of looking for 'old man' type pubs which serve craft beers / real ale and have a nice atmosphere.

I really like The Salmon but don't know of many other places like that around town and I don't have a great knowledge of pubs around Leicestershire. I'm sure there's some good ones.

Went to the Bakers Arms in Blaby last time I was down - thought that was really good too.

Bakers arms in blaby is great. I really like Brewdog, King Richard III is good but found that doesn’t have much choice.

 

I’m sure we do have another thread if you search for it, plenty of recommendations there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the city centre, Criterion is the ultimate old man real ale pub. 

 

Globe isn't bad for that sort of vibe, either. Wygstone House is new up by the BBC building / Guild Hall. Bit more wanky and middle class than the other two but nice enough. 

 

The Western is tidy a bit further out. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Blue Boar, Rutland & Derby, Queen of Bradgate, Orange Tree, Cafe Bruxelles, Criterion, Globe in the centre are all great.

Ah yeah, I do like the Criterion. Not been for ages though.

Haha! I used to go to the Queen of Bradgate when I was a young'un. Has it changed a lot? It was pretty ropey back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Queen of Bradgate is lovely now, in fact the vibe up that top end of High Street is pretty decent with the restaurants, pubs and casino.

 

If you want something more traditional go into town proper and do a tour of the CAMRA pubs like Salmon, Ale Wagon etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

Ah yeah, I do like the Criterion. Not been for ages though.

Haha! I used to go to the Queen of Bradgate when I was a young'un. Has it changed a lot? It was pretty ropey back in the day.

 

QoB is okay, nothing amazing. It does have guest ales and European beers, good selection. But if you go in on a Friday or Saturday evening it's just packed like any other inner city bar. 

 

Where as Criterion will still feel old manish if that's what you're after. 

 

It's like Cafe Bruxelles. Great selection of beers but on a Saturday it's just pumping out some deafening shit music for middle aged ropey looking birds to dance around to. 

 

Taps was the absolute champ but I hear it's gone? That's gutting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to love taps shame that's gone, brewdog has gone downhill with poor beer and cold atmosphere. Never rated cafe Bruxelles. Like queen of bradgate as they have decent beer and is comfy enough to sit in. Really wanna check out blue boar. Oh and Rutland and Derby is good but been in a while though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The Forge, Glenfield.

The Red Cow, Leicester Forest East.

Stamford Arms.

The Yews, Great Glen.

 

Used to work at the cow back in the day. Was rough once upon a time but it’s a nice place nowadays 

 

My grandad used to take us to the Airman’s rest and then a stroll up

to the red cow for a bottle of coke and crisps

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Same guys own The Criterion. Could be bad news. :(

 

https://harboroughfm.co.uk/the-market-harborough-brewery-closes/

 

Looks like they just couldn't turn a profit. Don't think Criterion has that problem, it was only sold in the first place because of a bereavement, no? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

 

Looks like they just couldn't turn a profit. Don't think Criterion has that problem, it was only sold in the first place because of a bereavement, no? 

 

I can't quite recall the circumstances but yeah, it was closed for about 10 days before MH Brewery came in. Am told the they've sold it on anyway now so hopefully there's no issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Same guys own The Criterion. Could be bad news. :(

 

https://harboroughfm.co.uk/the-market-harborough-brewery-closes/

 

They don't own it mate. Same geezers on it that own the Broadway on Abbey Lane and the Swan.

 

Regarding the Swan, I've heard you're looking at matchdays only and if you love Carling you're in luck. 

 

Who they choose to run their efforts is a different ball game obviously and I've never liked the Criterion whatsoever but I wouldn't be surprised if they gear it to the student market. There's money in folk that drink in the day though. Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2018 at 17:10, Trav Le Bleu said:

Black Horse in Aylestone is a top pub.

 

On 23/01/2018 at 18:49, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Just a shame the landlord is a Forest fan.

  Ivan used to be the man when I went in after playing footy ...   stayed there all night  ...   but also spent a lot of time in the Union and the Rut ...     good old drinking hole Aylestone ...    bit different now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...