Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

On 08/11/2021 at 22:08, Paninistickers said:

Any suggestions for late night weekend music/DJ set in town? 

I'm too old for MOSH or zanzibar clubs or even fan club.... So I always end up at divorcee central at cafe bruxelles and move then the trendier outdoor area from the neighboring gaff out the back (I forget its name, but it is fairly decent) 

.....there surely must be somewhere else in town other than that?  Any electronica or Northern soul type gaffs?

Apres Lounge is the place you mean.

There was a DJ set outside at The Tree a while back that I stumbled into. 

Never been but Sophy (formerly Sophbeck) does too sometimes.

Not been since everywhere has reopened but The Turkey Cafe was alright last time I went.

Basement is in this weird 2013 Americanised dubstep timewarp (swerve).

• Thanks 1

6 pubs in Leicestershire added to the CAMRA 2022 guide.

I've been aiming to go the Anstey Mash and Press one for a while.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/camra-good-beer-guide-2022-6185881

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Not Leicester pubs but does anyone know what Belper is like for pubbing? Looking to go watch Hinckley play away there if it’s a Sat and might make a day of it if it’s decent. 

Yeah some decent ones. Route to go if you're going by rail would be the Railway (duh) then turn right up towards the ground where there are a few good'uns - including a couple of micropubs and the George & Dragon near the ground.

The ground itself is beautiful too. Make sure you see it from all angles, with the hills on one side and the mill on the other. Well worth a visit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah some decent ones. Route to go if you're going by rail would be the Railway (duh) then turn right up towards the ground where there are a few good'uns - including a couple of micropubs and the George & Dragon near the ground.

The ground itself is beautiful too. Make sure you see it from all angles, with the hills on one side and the mill on the other. Well worth a visit.

Cheers for the recommendations mate, I’ll make a note for when the fixture’s announced! 

I’ve seen a few pictures of the ground and it does look magnificent, in terms of scenery perhaps one of the best in England? Really hoping it’s a weekend game so we can really make a go of it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Not Leicester pubs but does anyone know what Belper is like for pubbing? Looking to go watch Hinckley play away there if it’s a Sat and might make a day of it if it’s decent. 

Good day out that. Although to be fair provided Derby ain’t home you’d do well to do the Derby pub crawl and then grab the train to Belper which is down the road from the ground 

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Cheers for the recommendations mate, I’ll make a note for when the fixture’s announced! 

I’ve seen a few pictures of the ground and it does look magnificent, in terms of scenery perhaps one of the best in England? Really hoping it’s a weekend game so we can really make a go of it! 

Matlock probably beats it for me. But yeah it’s up there. 

There’s a cracking book on it - https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Mike-Bayly/dp/1785316478

Fraserburgh is incredible 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Belper is absurd for pubs given the size of the town, a lot of non league awayers pray it's on a Saturday.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Good day out that. Although to be fair provided Derby ain’t home you’d do well to do the Derby pub crawl and then grab the train to Belper which is down the road from the ground 

Yeah, if you've got a layover in Derby you should definitely hit the Brunswick and Alexandra too @Finnaldo. Only 2 mins from the station and right next door to each other.

Was going to do Matlock last year before the second lockdown fvcked it so very much on my to do list when I've a spare Saturday.

• Thanks 1

Went out in town last night. Something I maybe do just 3 or 4 times a year. 

It was absolutely rammed. Town has always been notoriously unpredictable for its turnout. But last night was peak town. Chaotic. 

Excellent cocktails in that place between O'Neills and the Guildhall. Lane7 was an appalling place (I don't think I'm the right demographic). Great to see Granby Street and Belvoir Street at their mad, chaotic best (dude casually walking along the street amiably chatting on his phone  with a traffic cone on his head 👌) . Liked the look of Black Iron social for eats. Turkey Cafe was buzzing (always been hit and miss imo). San Carlo restuarnt tho (where I had late eats)  I've always felt was all fur coat and no trousers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Turkey Cafe knocking out £15 cocktails. I don't care how nice your building is, that price is a disgrace.

The price of drinking is hideous these days

I got so hammered in Melbourne on Friday jjust visiting 3 places that I need to take a breather :)

On the topic of nice pubs in Leicester! 

The Salmon Pub in town is open from 10am tomorrow with a great selection of beers. There’s also Bacon cobs and Vegan sausage cobs on sale before the game! The match will be shown on the screens too, for those without a ticket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Looking to have a few late night pints before the train home on Thursday. Surprised to read the Parcel Yard closes at 9 now, is that a covid thing or always been the case?

Must be COVID, used to go in there a lot after work and was always open until about 11.

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Looking to have a few late night pints before the train home on Thursday. Surprised to read the Parcel Yard closes at 9 now, is that a covid thing or always been the case?

Was always open for a swift one after night games before the train home. Bizarre that there's no business for it on weekday evenings with it being right next to the station.

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they have staff issues tbh - now that the council has won the grant to refurb the train station, the parcel yard will be going so most staff will have probably started looking elsewhere for some job security.

Imagine it's still a year or two away but even so I bet they'll struggle between now and then which is a shame always enjoyed a pint or two in there before an away day.

19 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they have staff issues tbh - now that the council has won the grant to refurb the train station, the parcel yard will be going so most staff will have probably started looking elsewhere for some job security.

Imagine it's still a year or two away but even so I bet they'll struggle between now and then which is a shame always enjoyed a pint or two in there before an away day.

Travesty it's going. Must be a little gold mine.

Went in the hind after the game. That's become a proper shit hole and the beer was rank. 

Real shame that the best place for a pint at the station will soon be no longer.

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

Travesty it's going. Must be a little gold mine.

Went in the hind after the game. That's become a proper shit hole and the beer was rank. 

Real shame that the best place for a pint at the station will soon be no longer.

Shame about the Hind as the guys before it really tried to give it a go. Gave the outside a lick of paint and spruced up the outside area.

Agree on the beer being rough mind, been a problem that for a while. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2021 at 16:38, westernpark said:

On the topic of nice pubs in Leicester! 

The Salmon Pub in town is open from 10am tomorrow with a great selection of beers. There’s also Bacon cobs and Vegan sausage cobs on sale before the game! The match will be shown on the screens too, for those without a ticket.

One of my favourite pubs in Leicester when I lived there.