Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

22 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

So many today either not open or really really quiet.

I went to my local on Sunday to avoid arguing with Mrs Para and to watch the ManU game as a distraction. I was expecting a decent number of folks to be there as it was ManU. I was the only one in there. Since lockdown has eased my local has remained very quiet.

I'm a little worried for our traditional pubs if this is a trend. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 16:19, Samilktray said:

The real ale classroom on Allendale road is my new favourite pub I think, and it’s my local which may have influenced this decision. It’s a cracking little place tbf

That lanky streak of piss (18) serving you is my lad!

I don’t live in Leicester any more but I was pretty upset that the Hakamou bar closed down in the city centre. Don’t know if anyone else used to go there but I’ve been trying to recreate one of their cocktails but I just don’t know the ingredients cos they didn’t put them on the menu 😖 No one on here happened to have worked there I presume….I’d pay for the recipe 😁

18 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

I don’t live in Leicester any more but I was pretty upset that the Hakamou bar closed down in the city centre. Don’t know if anyone else used to go there but I’ve been trying to recreate one of their cocktails but I just don’t know the ingredients cos they didn’t put them on the menu 😖 No one on here happened to have worked there I presume….I’d pay for the recipe 😁

It has left a gap in the market for a non posey cocktail gaff. Was always a laugh in there when upside down.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 1

They're obviously never great by their very nature but The Lansdowne is the first city centre closure in ages that stings a bit. Loved it in there but it was very obviously neglected once The Orange Tree group was sold, especially in comparison with their place at the top of the High St.

Edited by Langston
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Barley Mow closing in 3 weeks. 

Bricklayers Arms being taken on by the landlord of The Hind who plans to put African food on (and apparently isn’t a big fan of football crowds).

Traditional drinking pubs are sadly on the decline. Honestly, African food? Open an African food restaurant. Same with many a traditional pub becoming a combo of pub/Indian/Chinese. Sorry, it doesn't work for me. I'm no Camra member but I love the trad English pub vibe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Barley Mow closing in 3 weeks. 

Bricklayers Arms being taken on by the landlord of The Hind who plans to put African food on (and apparently isn’t a big fan of football crowds).

I'm looking forward to a pre match couscous but I wont be wearing my colours.

Seriously, this is a contender for business suicide of the year award.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Fvcking hell. It just never ends...

Seems city pubs feel the need to be "cosmopolitan".

Fortunately I live where the "trad" pubs still exist and they sell cellar conditioned ale's as well as chilled lagers but not that dire shit that is ice-cold Worthington's or any equivalent. Where have breweries gone wrong by providing the very thing beer drinkers don't want?

I was out round St Martins / Cank St

Had my cousin over from Cambridge (big Leicester fan) was quite chuffed when he remarked how nice Leicester was after walking from the Blue Boar to Cank St via the Richard 3 visitor centre…

The atmosphere was really nice…. Lots of people about and a good buzz…. 

I also discovered that sitting outside in the Champagne bar is quite good fun…. They do a cracking Boston Sour too!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2